08-08-09, 05:14 AM   #1
Aetharan
A Defias Bandit

Code Help - Duplication of a Chat Type

I'm attempting to build a method that dupes a chat-output type such as RAID_BOSS_WHISPER within the user's interface. The goal is to have the script/addon making use of the code to be able to give output as if it were a real Boss Whisper, or MONSTER_EMOTE, or whatever else, viewable only by the person running it.

Thus far, I have the following:
Code:
local info = ChatTypeInfo["RAID_BOSS_WHISPER"];

local origin = "[BigBadGuy]";

local divider = " whispers: ";

local message = "Message.";

for i=1,NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS do
getglobal("ChatFrame" .. i ):AddMessage(origin..divider..message, info.r, info.g, info.b, info.id);
end
This will produce the appearance of a Boss Whisper, but it outputs on every single chat frame whether said frame is supposed to show said whispers or not. Is there a way to check within that final loop whether each given frame should print Boss Whispers before adding the message to that frame?

Last edited by Aetharan : 08-08-09 at 07:55 AM.
08-08-09, 05:49 AM   #2
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Aetharan View Post
I'm attempting to build a method that dupes a chat-output type such as RAID_BOSS_WHISPER within the user's interface. The goal is to have the script/addon making use of the code to be able to give output as if it were a real Boss Whisper, or MONSTER_EMOTE, or whatever else, viewable only by the person running it.

Thus far, I have the following:
Code:
local info = ChatTypeInfo["RAID_BOSS_WHISPER"];

local origin = "[BigBadGuy];

local divider = " whispers: ";

local message = "Message.";

for i=1,NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS do
getglobal("ChatFrame" .. i ):AddMessage(origin..divider..message, info.r, info.g, info.b, info.id);
end
This will produce the appearance of a Boss Whisper, but it outputs on every single chat frame whether said frame is supposed to show said whispers or not. Is there a way to check within that final loop whether each given frame should print Boss Whispers before adding the message to that frame?
I'm sure there is, but can't think of it off the top of my head. Just woke up and have to go to work.
08-08-09, 06:16 AM   #3
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Basically,
Code:
type1, type2, type3, ... = GetChatWindowMessages(frameID)
is what you're looking for, API-wise.

But I've taken a quick look into the ChatConfig-frame of Blizz (where you toggle the messageTypes) and they used a function to retrieve whether a type is checked or not. I've modified it a bit to work with the channel-id and here it is:

Code:
local function IsListeningForMessageType(frameID, messageType)
    local messageTypeList = _G['ChatFrame'..frameID].messageTypeList
    for _, value in pairs(messageTypeList) do
        if(value == messageType) then
            return true
        end
    end
    return false
end
So you can just use IsListeningForMessageType(i, "RAID_BOSS_WHISPER") in your for-loop to test whether the chatframe has enabled it.
Note, that I've used _G["ChatFrame"..i] instead of getglobal("ChatFrame" .. i) - it does basically the same, but setglobal() / getglobal() are deprecated and with 3.2 even Blizz tries to get rid of it in their code.

Oh hai!
08-08-09, 08:04 AM   #4
Aetharan
A Defias Bandit

Thank you for your response, Cargor. I get the distinct impression that what you've given me should work, but I can't seem to make it do so.

To clarify my situation, I'm currently using the script within the addon Gryphonheart Items (at least partially as a crutch), as part of an item I'm making. I'm trying to learn the basics of scripting in WoW. If I try to add the local function into my scriptlet, I get an error saying I'm attempting to index _G, a function, and the item stops trying to process the script. Thus, nothing gets as far as trying to post the message.

I'm afraid when it comes to making anything happen in WoW, I'm an extreme newbie. I'm far more used to RUBY than Lua, and the language shift is making things a bit hard.
08-08-09, 08:41 AM   #5
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It's strange that _G is a function, because it should be by default the global table holding all global elements. But you can fetch it like this on top of your script:

local _G = getfenv(0)

Oh hai!
08-08-09, 09:56 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I was having problems yesterday where I was getting an error saying a variable was a function when it should have been a table. Then I found out that I had already used that variable name to define a function, so the table was being overwritten.

My guess is that somewhere later in your code, you're assigning a function to _G.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Code Help - Duplication of a Chat Type