08-24-07, 12:47 PM   #1
Tucciim
A Fallenroot Satyr
go to a pay site soon pls.

with the new patch just around the corner it would be excellent if you would go to a membership style soon so we aren't left floundering with no ui when it drops.
08-24-07, 02:03 PM   #2
Malinoric
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

actually with a very small fix the UI will be pretty usable when the patch hits.
08-24-07, 02:11 PM   #3
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Funny, my UI doesn't break when a patch hits. Hell I've already tested on the PTR too, like all good authors should :P
08-24-07, 02:22 PM   #4
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Yeah, I have a compilation called Piramod, along with some other addons, and they are always good! Piramod has like weekly updates it feels like
08-24-07, 02:26 PM   #5
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tekkub
Funny, my UI doesn't break when a patch hits. Hell I've already tested on the PTR too, like all good authors should :P
Hmph. You have an ability that I do not have, namely the ability to log into WoW!
08-24-07, 02:37 PM   #6
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

Hmph. You have an ability that I do not have, namely the ability to log into WoW!
Easily remedied.... slacker!
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
08-24-07, 02:41 PM   #7
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Geboran
Easily remedied.... slacker!
Mazzle stopped playing WoW.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
08-24-07, 02:45 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup, if you want to find Mazzle these days, you have to come start playing LotRO.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
08-24-07, 02:45 PM   #9
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Harladar
Yeah, I have a compilation called Piramod, along with some other addons, and they are always good! Piramod has like weekly updates it feels like
Those kind of compilation updates happen every week because they are very straightforward. They're usually just updating the individual add-ons and/or repackaging up their WTF folder.

In any case, Tuccim, I wouldn't worry too much. Mallinoric reports that he's only encountered one error that stops the installation process. There might be some other 'soft' errors (or even hard errors in other installation setups), but I obviously haven't tested it myself. I'm still considering putting up the site, but right now I'm having trouble mustering the motivation. Moreover, it feels good to have the WoW monkey off my back.
08-24-07, 03:02 PM   #10
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Yup, if you want to find Mazzle these days, you have to come start playing LotRO.
Zactly! And as I'm sure Cairenn can attest, it's a ton of fun. The perfect MMO if you want to be more casual. I'm having so much more fun than I did in WoW recently (which was starting to feel like a horrible version of Groundhog day), and I haven't even explored 3/4 of the game or monster play.

But, alas, there are no mods in LOTRO. That aspect is quite painful to be honest. I really, really miss all of WoW UI stuff. And unless Turbine releases a scripting language -- which seems highly unlikely at this late stage of the game since it's such a fundamental thing -- I don't think it will get much better. It will probably improve at the same rate that the default Blizzard UI improved, which, unfortunately, was painfully slow. Uh oh, I've started ranting on a topic nobody on this forum will care anything about. I will stop.
08-24-07, 03:10 PM   #11
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have you played the warhammer beta? It looks OK. One of the devs says the pvp in it is kind of like the pvp in DaoC, which I didn't really like..But the fact that you can level the whole time just doing PvP is a cool concept.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
08-24-07, 03:21 PM   #12
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No, I haven't tried it, all my WoW friends are wetting their pants in anticipation of Warhammer. I don't quite get it -- I looked at a couple videos, and if someone had told me that it was the next expansion of WoW, I would have believed them -- but I'm definitely curious. The combat system in Age of Conan also sound pretty novel and interesting.

I hope they all suck though! I need less computer games in my life, not more.
08-24-07, 04:05 PM   #13
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

So by simple logic, due to lack of ability, you are a bad dev *grin*
08-24-07, 05:54 PM   #14
joive
A Theradrim Guardian

What is the purpose of your responses in this thread? What do you really want?

Sir James Dewar
08-24-07, 06:00 PM   #15
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Sarcasm evades you. The comment was directed at Mazz, Mazz knows me, and Mazz would have caught the sarcasm. If he didn't, then he really is a bad dev. (OMG LOOK I did it again!)

My point, way back when, was that people who have their "whole UI break every patch" are using really ****ty mods. I've not had this issue for a LONG time. I rarely have any mods that break, and most of the time the author is aware of impending doom and fixes their addon on the PTR beforehand. Even patch 2.0 wasn't that bad, because we had access to the beta (<3 Cair) and we got compatible versions out before the patch happened.

Besides, what the hell does the site having paid memberships have to do with the speed at which authors update? Not like the authors are getting those subscriptions as incentive to work :P

Last edited by Tekkub : 08-24-07 at 06:06 PM.
08-24-07, 06:15 PM   #16
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I think you're right!

*realizes that he's also a very bad President of the United States*
08-24-07, 06:16 PM   #17
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

That's why everyone hates you so much! Damnit why didn't I make the connection earlier?
08-24-07, 06:23 PM   #18
joive
A Theradrim Guardian

Cool Incentives?

Oh, sorry for evading your sarcasm *laugh*

There are numerous responses regarding that issue anyway. "Incentive to work" is a subjective and personal matter, the choice to pay for a membership based site is not. You just do what you want with your mods and find "incentives" wherever you can. If other Authors are not "incentivated" the way you are is their problem, not yours. We can see the kind of Author you are by the way you speak about others people mods.

We valuate your point now, as much as back then.

Sir James Dewar
08-24-07, 06:30 PM   #19
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Wait did you just call me an ******* because I'm mean to other authors? :P

I've always held a special hatred for users that update their whole UI on patch day and bring down the sites. Some updates are always needed, yes, but the "everything breaks" mentality just makes me want to stab a puppy. I'm also not very fond of authors that push out useless updates (TOC-version only) on patch day and perpetuate this idea that the updates are in some way necessary.

One of the biggest factors to being a "good" dev, in my crappy opinion, is keeping ahead of Blizzard's changes. That mean hitting the PTR and testing your mods, writing fixes BEFORE the patch goes live, and either integrating the fix in with a version check and updating the mod before the patch goes live or having a compatible version ready on patch day. But for the love of Dog, if an update isn't REQUIRED for the addon to function, don't do your part to bring the sites to a crawl when the patch does go live.
08-24-07, 07:31 PM   #20
vampiricwound
A Cyclonian

*realizes that he's also a very bad President of the United States*
oh come on....i still dont think you could be much worse

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » go to a pay site soon pls.