07-11-08, 09:29 AM   #1
Moonsong
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Red Aggro notice - me want more

In past versions of Mazzle, the addon that turns the UI red when I had aggro would remain red until I dropped aggro.

As a tank, I got hooked on that!

Now it flashes red but goes back to the normal color so I have to look in the Target of Target (which workz now, woot!) to see that the mob is on me.

I'm tanking lots of stacks of mobs these days, and it would really help a lot to have it stay red for the duration -

I've looked in Omen and dug through the different addons listed in Niagra, and looked into Bigwigs but I'm not finding what I need - anyone know how to change that setting/which addon it is?
07-11-08, 12:36 PM   #2
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Moonsong View Post
In past versions of Mazzle, the addon that turns the UI red when I had aggro would remain red until I dropped aggro.

As a tank, I got hooked on that!

Now it flashes red but goes back to the normal color so I have to look in the Target of Target (which workz now, woot!) to see that the mob is on me.

I'm tanking lots of stacks of mobs these days, and it would really help a lot to have it stay red for the duration -

I've looked in Omen and dug through the different addons listed in Niagra, and looked into Bigwigs but I'm not finding what I need - anyone know how to change that setting/which addon it is?
No, but I would really like to have it back. As a tank this is sooo nice..
07-11-08, 03:03 PM   #3
Elitist
A Defias Bandit
Omen does this in single-target mode (perhaps in others as well, but that's all I use).
07-11-08, 04:08 PM   #4
Blu_Haze
A Cliff Giant

The addon that turns the artwork and all that red is LibBanzai. Well, there might be another addon that has the actual control variable for when it does it, but I do know that LibBanzai is the meat behind the potatoes so to speak.

Personally, my biggest problem with the current aggro notification is the fact that it doesn't actually kick in until you've taken damage, in addition to the multiple target issue you mentioned already. I would love it if this could work like the HUD where it turns red the second you pick up aggro, even before taking damage. I thought I remembered it doing this many moons ago when that function was first introduced, but I suppose I'm not 100% sure on that.

I haven't really seen any way to configure this outside of editing the actual LUA script.

07-11-08, 10:56 PM   #5
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LibBanzai manages the events that indicate when you get aggro. MazzleUI uses it to monitor when to strobe the color of the bottom panel red. If it doesn't strobe the entire time that you have aggro then something is wrong. That's how it's intended to work and how it used to.

I'd suggest looking at the code that initializes how LibBanzai alerts MazzleUI about aggro being gained. Perhaps, it's set up incorrectly now. I know things changes when LibBanzai's interface was rewritten a few patches ago.
07-12-08, 04:22 AM   #6
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post
LibBanzai manages the events that indicate when you get aggro. MazzleUI uses it to monitor when to strobe the color of the bottom panel red. If it doesn't strobe the entire time that you have aggro then something is wrong. That's how it's intended to work and how it used to.

I'd suggest looking at the code that initializes how LibBanzai alerts MazzleUI about aggro being gained. Perhaps, it's set up incorrectly now. I know things changes when LibBanzai's interface was rewritten a few patches ago.
If I knew anything about how to code, I would look at this setting. So I hope someone with a clue will check that.

Cause this really is one of the functions that you MISS a lot as a tank once it is broken.
07-14-08, 11:07 AM   #7
Moonsong
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Wow, I even got a Mazzlepost

Thanks all for replying, and I hope this helps out - the aggro notice is one of the MANY features of MazzleUI that you can get used to and wonder how you ever played without it, but it's so well integrated into everything that it seems like a natural part of the game and UI.

I believe that was part of Mazzle's design philosophy for this great UI.

This is from the LibBanzai-2.0 changelog:

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r72249 | rabbit | 2008-04-30 18:47:09 -0400 (Wed, 30 Apr 2008) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/LibBanzai-2.0/LibBanzai-2.0.lua

LibBanzai-2.0: Support "focus".
r67250 | helium | 2008-03-31 06:07:45 -0400 (Mon, 31 Mar 2008) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/LibBanzai-2.0/LibBanzai-2.0.toc

LibBanzai-2.0: TOC 20400
Please forgive - I have NO IDEA what I'm doing but am trying to help. Is this the notification code?

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Banzai
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

local targets = setmetatable({}, {__index =
	function(self, key)
		self[key] = key .. "target"
		return self[key]
	end
})

local aggro = {}
local banzai = {}

local total = 0
local function updateBanzai(_, elapsed)
	total = total + elapsed
	if total > 0.2 then
		if needsUpdate then actuallyUpdateRoster() end
		for name, units in pairs(roster) do
			local unit = units[1]
			local targetId = targets[unit]
			if UnitExists(targetId) then
				local ttId = targets[targetId]
				if UnitExists(ttId) and UnitCanAttack(ttId, targetId) then
					for n, u in pairs(roster) do
						if UnitIsUnit(u[1], ttId) then
							banzai[n] = (banzai[n] or 0) + 10
							break
						end
					end
				end
			end
			if banzai[name] then
				if banzai[name] >= 5 then banzai[name] = banzai[name] - 5 end
				if banzai[name] > 25 then banzai[name] = 25 end
			end
		end
		for name, units in pairs(roster) do
			if banzai[name] and banzai[name] > 15 then
				if not aggro[name] then
					aggro[name] = true
					for i, v in ipairs(callbacks) do
						v(1, name, unpack(units))
					end
				end
			elseif aggro[name] then
				aggro[name] = nil
				for i, v in ipairs(callbacks) do
					v(0, name, unpack(units))
				end
			end
		end
		total = 0
	end

Last edited by Moonsong : 07-14-08 at 11:15 AM.
07-16-08, 05:10 PM   #8
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No, the code you are looking for will be in the core MazzleUI add-on. It will be either the code that first sets up event notification with LibBanzai or the code that responds to it.
07-17-08, 03:24 AM   #9
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post
No, the code you are looking for will be in the core MazzleUI add-on. It will be either the code that first sets up event notification with LibBanzai or the code that responds to it.
/2 WTB Coder for Aggro Notice Fix!
07-17-08, 12:12 PM   #10
Moonsong
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Ok, so I looked in MazzleUI_Events.lua and found:

Lines 31-38

Code:
function Banzai_Callback(aggroGained, name)
	local playerName = UnitName("player")
	if ((aggroGained == 1) and (name == playerName)) then
		MazzleUI:TriggerEvent("Banzai_PlayerGainedAggro")
	else
		MazzleUI:TriggerEvent("Banzai_PlayerLostAggro")
	end
end
I went looking for other referrences to Banzai, aggro, etc., and found these lines in MazzleUI_Handlers.lua:

Beginning at Line 335

Code:
local currentRedValue, cra

function MazzleUI:Handle_AggroSelfGain()
    currentRedValue = 0.4
    cra = - 0.1
    self:ScheduleRepeatingEvent("Mazz3D_AggroTimer",self.UpdateAggro, .1, self)
end

function MazzleUI:UpdateAggro()
    currentRedValue = currentRedValue + cra
    if (currentRedValue<0) then currentRedValue = 0.1; cra = 0.1;
    elseif (currentRedValue>0.3) then currentRedValue = 0.2; cra =  - 0.1; end
    self.panelTextures.l.tex:SetVertexColor(1, currentRedValue, currentRedValue)
    self.panelTextures.ml.tex:SetVertexColor(1, currentRedValue, currentRedValue)
    self.panelTextures.mr.tex:SetVertexColor(1, currentRedValue, currentRedValue)
    self.panelTextures.r.tex:SetVertexColor(1, currentRedValue, currentRedValue)
    self.panelTextures.cave.tex:SetVertexColor(1, currentRedValue, currentRedValue)
    MinimapBorder:SetVertexColor(1, currentRedValue, currentRedValue)
end

function MazzleUI:Handle_AggroSelfLose()
	self:CancelScheduledEvent("Mazz3D_AggroTimer")
    self.panelTextures.l.tex:SetVertexColor(1, 1, 1)
    self.panelTextures.ml.tex:SetVertexColor(1, 1, 1)
    self.panelTextures.mr.tex:SetVertexColor(1, 1, 1)
    self.panelTextures.r.tex:SetVertexColor(1, 1, 1)
    self.panelTextures.cave.tex:SetVertexColor(1, 1, 1)
    MinimapBorder:SetVertexColor(1, 1, 1)
end
07-18-08, 08:43 AM   #11
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Can anybody work with that? Please?
07-18-08, 02:46 PM   #12
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That looks like most of the correct code, but I don't see anything there where it sets up the initial events.

Is this happening only when you are fighting multiple mobs?

P.S. Another thing you could do is check out another add-on that uses LibBanzai for the same thing and compare.
07-19-08, 09:31 AM   #13
Moonsong
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I'll look for another addon to use to compare - any suggestions?

I think it's all the time, not just with multiples - and most of the time I do get the red UI flash - sometimes it seems that I do not - most times when I do get it, it then goes off, even though I still have aggro. It's a lot more noticeable with multiple mobs because I can't tell if I"m getting hit or have threat on anything with a lot of mobs in a stack.
07-21-08, 07:29 AM   #14
Moonsong
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Ok have not looked for another addon yet, but I did check the aggro notice:

It flashes at or right after gaining aggro, then goes back to normal. That is with one mob or many. If I taunt and gain aggro "fresh" it flashes again then goes back to normal.

It's not that it isn't working so much as the setting for how long it stays red - may seem silly, but it makes a big difference not to have to be reading the target of target to see if I have threat - one of my fave features of Mazzle.
07-21-08, 05:06 PM   #15
whereswaldo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Is it possible that some other add-on that you are using is interfering with the Mazzle code. I have a level 50 Paladin (Prot spec - AOE grinding) and I have not noticed the situation you are describing. The red agro notice comes on as soon as I gain aggro on the first mob and doesnt shut off until the last mob is dead. It doesn't matter if it is one or ten. The only extra mod other than Mazzle that I use at the moment is Questhelper.

Last edited by whereswaldo : 07-21-08 at 05:09 PM.
07-21-08, 06:33 PM   #16
Moonsong
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Ok thanks for that tip - and you have the current Mazzle install, Waldo? 1.18 plus addon pack?

You don't use Omen (threat meter)?
07-21-08, 06:42 PM   #17
whereswaldo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Yes. I keep Mazzle as current as possible. No errors in the bugsack. I do use Omen as the threat meter. I did notice that one thing mentioned above was true. The red doesnt show up until you are actually hit. It should show up as soon as you are within aggro range. I like to use that as a way of knowing if someone sneaks up behind you. Lately I've had that happen several times and didn't know he was there until he actually hit me. I would like to see that fixed.
07-23-08, 12:54 PM   #18
Moonsong
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Here is the link to BanzaiAlert at Curse:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/4968/

But when I go to my Ora2 settings, I don't have any of that and much of Ora seems not to be enabled - assuming that is because Mazzle does a lot of that for me, so I never mess with it. Sorry to be such a total noob, but at least I'm trying to solve my own issue.

Would it make a difference to download a full Banzai and then be able to tweak the settings?
07-23-08, 03:40 PM   #19
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't think Banzailib has any settings, since it's just a library. BanzaiAlert probably does have settings and is an excellent add-on to compare it to. If you can get that add-on to behave as you envision, then you can simply change the MazzleUI code to configure its use of Banzailib in the same way.

As for the sneaking up behind you thing, I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about a player, then that technically isn't considered aggro. If you're talking about a stealthed NPC that you simply hadn't noticed, it will only notify you after it has attacked you. I don't think there's any way for an add-on to know that you have its attention until that point.
07-23-08, 05:03 PM   #20
whereswaldo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

What I meant by sneak up behind me is more like I am running through the woods and there is an NPC hidden by the foliage. I don't see him as I am running by but I still enter his aggro radius. Or I am backing up away from a mob and another mob that is behind me has either moved closer or I moved closer to him. I used to use Xperl unit frames and it had a setting to flash the screen edge red when you got aggro. IN the previous cases, the edge would flash red as soon as I entered the aggro radius and the mob was coming toward me, not when he hit me. It gave me the chance to run in a different direction to avoid actual damage.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Red Aggro notice - me want more