11-02-09, 11:13 AM   #1
eddiemars
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Total wow crashes on Login (any known addon conflicts around?)

Hello. I have been having this problem where sometimes (about once or twice a day, and I can't seem to discern a pattern) I will log into Wow, select a character, get past the loading screen.. and then total fatal error style crash.

Now, I searched around the wow forums for instances of this happening and best I can discern is that Blizz will always blame your addons until you can prove this happens without them.

So naturally I remove all addons from the interface folder and play for quite a few days hoping that this problem will happen so I can copy the error report!

But it never happened! I absolutely can't even stand playing without addons, the default UI is so terrible *shudder* So if there are any known addon conflicts (maybe a couple of my addons don't like each other?) that would be amazing. Following is a list of all my addons. I really appreciate any help.

AtlasLoot
Carbonite
Cartographer
Dominos
Gatherer
GearScore
Guild2Guild
ItemRack
MoveAnything
NugMiniPet
OmniCC
PhanxChat
PowerAuras
Quartz
Recount
SimpleRaidTargetIcons
StufRaid
Stuf
DBM
11-02-09, 11:29 AM   #2
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Someone in our raid yesterday was having fatal errors. Now, a fatal error can mean anything. However, his error seemed to be caused by something with the memory of his computer; I would jump to the conclusion of memory leak before saying that addon memory usage is relevant again. So, in the case of a memory leak, you've got to figure it's something that either uses a lot of memory or generates a lot of garbage.

Try turning off each of your addons, one at a time, until your client doesn't crash.
11-02-09, 01:34 PM   #3
avngr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I've been having something similar for maybe a couple of weeks now and have been too busy/lazy to properly troubleshoot it.

For me it happens pretty much every time I log out of one character and try to log in another. I finish the loading screen and then crash to desktop with an error message regarding memory and "insufficient storage". If I exit the game and then log in a new character I'm fine. I've been assuming it is an addon or combo of addons and just haven't taken the time to figure it out.

Here are the addons we have in common based on your list:

Dominos
ItemRack
OmniCC
Recount

If this sounds the same as your issue, those may be a good place to start troubleshooting.

Try disabling them all and see if the issue goes away. If it does, reenable them one at a time until it comes back. If you find the culprit (or at least the potential one), delete (back up first) its data from your WTF folders and then try loading with it enabled and see if it works. Maybe its just bad data.
11-02-09, 01:36 PM   #4
zero-kill
A Firelord

I've never had this error, and the only addon that I don't have on this list is ItemRack - try that one first.
11-02-09, 01:53 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
Try turning off each of your addons, one at a time, until your client doesn't crash.
^ Very sound advice, probably the best in this thread thus far. Doing anything else is over-complicating it.
11-02-09, 02:22 PM   #6
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Please post the error you get here.
11-02-09, 02:28 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
Please post the error you get here.

Unless you have the same tool that the Blizzard Support Technicians use, you will not be able to read those error logs.
11-02-09, 02:40 PM   #8
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Unless you have the same tool that the Blizzard Support Technicians use, you will not be able to read those error logs.
Aren't they written in plain text? I can read plain text. See, I'm doing it right now!
11-02-09, 03:02 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
Aren't they written in plain text? I can read plain text. See, I'm doing it right now!
lol silly. Yes, they are. But there's some things in those error files that need a special tool to decipher. It gives the support techs more info on what is wrong on the clients machine. Sometimes the error is obvious though... but they will always tell you to post a fresh error log after you've deleted the Cache folder and renamed the Interface and WTF folders (with no addons).. which give you a fresh testing bed to troubleshoot with. Posting an error log while using addons is useless.
11-02-09, 06:13 PM   #10
eddiemars
A Cyclonian

Thanks for all the advice, I had tried already a couple of the above advice already btw, but I found it hard to pinpoint which exact one still.

Well, so far today since removing Carbonite I haven't had the crash... that being said sometimes it would go this long without crashing anyhow.

If it is in fact Carbonite causing the crashes though I will have to say I think it is the memory issue that was mentioned, as it was my largest memory user.

I find it odd though as I have the max amount of ram in my computer... /shrug

I'm just thankful I might be able to get rid of the problem without sacrificing how the UI looks (though Carbonite will be missed indeed)
11-02-09, 06:35 PM   #11
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by eddiemars View Post
<snip>
If it is in fact Carbonite causing the crashes though I will have to say I think it is the memory issue that was mentioned, as it was my largest memory user.

I find it odd though as I have the max amount of ram in my computer... /shrug
<snip>
It isn't odd if your memory is failing...get memtest86 or a similar program and run it when you go to bed.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
11-03-09, 05:55 AM   #12
Tincup
The Grumpy One

Does the game crash once your bar reaches 100% when loading? I know some of my friends have had this issue where once they select their toon and click enter they load as normal until the bar hits 100%, then it crashes to desktop. If this is indeed the issue you are having, disable all addons an move you character to a new area (for instance if you are in Stormwind, move to Goldshire). Then log out, enable all of your addons, then try to login again. This fixed the issue they were having.
11-03-09, 07:59 AM   #13
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

lol silly. Yes, they are. But there's some things in those error files that need a special tool to decipher.
Where did you hear that Petrah ?

I read plenty of posts all over the official forums and also a lot of the general internet. I google them all the time for people having problems with WOW / Their computers.

I've never needed a special tool to read them. I just use my eyes , my brain , my technical knowledge and a hefty heaping of google searchs to look into it .

WOW Crash reports are written in plain text and if you pay attention to what they say they are incredibly invaluable for working out what went wrong where. They aren't encoded into binary or anything like that.

Often times you don't need to be able to pick apart a crash report in detail like I can - common errors will usually have common looking crash reports come up. There's a few good stickies in the Tech Support forums for common errors because of this fact.

So I'm sorry but any and all crash reports are a good thing to post when something crashes because it means that somewhere out there is someone who actually enjoys picking crash reports apart

My idea of a good night out is the local 24 hr bakery , their Beef Stew , a Doctor Pepper and the print out from a crash report

I'm just thankful I might be able to get rid of the problem without sacrificing how the UI looks (though Carbonite will be missed indeed)
Interesting. Did you try deleting the Carbonite.lua saved variables in the Saved Variables folder in the WTF Folder and then installing the latest version from this website ?

If it can't be fixed you might want to consider alternatives

Depending on the crash report you might have out dated addons in your addons somewhere. I use Carbonite on all my active toons and I'm not getting any crashes
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
11-03-09, 10:49 AM   #14
eddiemars
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
My idea of a good night out is the local 24 hr bakery , their Beef Stew , a Doctor Pepper and the print out from a crash report
Well if it it'll make you happy then by all means! I attached it as a txt file so that it wouldn't be spam wall-of-text for some people.

This crash report is not the most recent one unfortunately though. Since this saved crash report I subsequently removed some of the addons I wasn't using and updated all the rest to the current list I posted in my first post. But then it still continued to happen, and I did not save a copy since I would have needed an addon free one for the Blizz forums.

Interesting. Did you try deleting the Carbonite.lua saved variables in the Saved Variables folder in the WTF Folder and then installing the latest version from this website ?
No I did not. I will do that and see if it works. I wish I could test it now but servers are down : /

Originally Posted by Quee
Does the game crash once your bar reaches 100% when loading?
Yes it does, but while doing what you mention is a perfect temporary fix, I am trying to fix it for good. Honestly it's not even a huge inconvenience, I crash once, I can almost always try logging in again and it will work, it doesn't effect my gameplay. I'm just trying to fix it permanently because, well, it's a fatal error, just for the principle of it really. That and when it happens my computer makes an unhappy noise.

One last thing, just an update on my last post, it still hasn't happened since removing Carbonite. Not that I've had a lot of chance to test it since servers are down.
Attached Files
File Type: txt wowcrash.txt (10.2 KB, 616 views)

Last edited by eddiemars : 11-03-09 at 10:52 AM. Reason: update
11-03-09, 02:09 PM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where did you hear that Petrah ?
Non Blizzard employees do not have access to that tool. It is used by the support technicians.

Up until recently (I've been taking a break from the forums as I have other commitments atm), I volunteered on the tech support forums for roughly two years. I cannot say about recently since I've not posted there much, but in two years, I do not recollect seeing your name there as one of the regular forum volunteers. The regular volunteers have an IRC channel (some of the support techs have dropped in to say hi, and I think one even visits in there under a private name so he won't be bothered), and I don't recollect seeing you there either.

Last edited by Petrah : 11-03-09 at 02:12 PM.
11-03-09, 07:35 PM   #16
Bluspacecow

Non Blizzard employees do not have access to that tool. It is used by the support technicians.

Up until recently (I've been taking a break from the forums as I have other commitments atm), I volunteered on the tech support forums for roughly two years. I cannot say about recently since I've not posted there much, but in two years, I do not recollect seeing your name there as one of the regular forum volunteers.
That's OK I mostly hang out on the Mac Tech support forums , the PTR forums and the UI & Macros forums. Admittedly I used to post a lot more then I do now but I've backed off a bit as I wanting people to either find the answer themselves or one of the other regulars step in to answer.

Regardless comparing post histories isn't really that relevant to this conversion and I'm sorry I brought it up. I wasn't meaning to imply that I'ld been around on the official support forums longer then you. For that I am sorry.

I'm not denying that such a tool exists. I'm just saying that I've never gotten a crash report I could not read or interpret.

Your also assuming that the crash report the OP got could not be read by anything other then that tool (unless I've read your posts wrong).

In this case the crash report he posted is of the standard OS X report that has been slightly modified.

A good resource for reading OS X crash reports is :

http://developer.apple.com/mac/libra...04/tn2123.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...l?tag=mfiredir

Excuse me while I good pull that crash report apart
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 11-03-09 at 07:39 PM.
11-03-09, 08:16 PM   #17
Bluspacecow

Well if it it'll make you happy

This crash report is not the most recent one unfortunately though. Since this saved crash report I subsequently removed some of the addons I wasn't using and updated all the rest to the current list I posted in my first post. But then it still continued to happen, and I did not save a copy since I would have needed an addon free one for the Blizz forums.
Interesting. Any chance of a more recent report ? If it still occurs with all addons turned off it could be a graphics card driver error especially if it's got function calls starting with _gl something rather.

That Crash report you posted had the addon Guild2Guild as the current addon , crashing when it did a debuglocals command. I also see that you are on OS X with a Intel machine 2 processor cores.

It's also giving a "EXC_BAD_ACCESS KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE 0x00000022" error which means World of Warcraft.app is attempting to write to read only memory. It's also crashing near the start of memory which could point towards a corrupt memory stick.

My gut (backed up by my google searchs) points towards either corrupt memory or a corrupt install.

When you were testing it without Carbonite did you do the same test you were doing to make it crash with Carbonite loaded ? This would be important as if you have corrupt data you won't know until you get that part of corrupt data loaded into memory. There's 13 GB of data so it doesn't load all of it into memory at once.

Yes it does, but while doing what you mention is a perfect temporary fix, I am trying to fix it for good. Honestly it's not even a huge inconvenience, I crash once, I can almost always try logging in again and it will work, it doesn't effect my gameplay. I'm just trying to fix it permanently because, well, it's a fatal error, just for the principle of it really. That and when it happens my computer makes an unhappy noise.
Just to check have you got the latest version of Carbonite ?

The behaviour you describe does seem to suggest a slight corruption in the data files somewhere.

What I would try would be :

(1) Find a way to replicate it reliably every single time in a particular place in WOW.
(2) Wipe any Carbonite files I see in WTF folder. Do a Spotlight search for Carbonite.lua. Wipe any that appear in a SavedVariables folder
(3) Update Carbonite. If you've accidently wiped any .lua inside the carbonite addon itself this step will restore them
(4) Redo the test found in (1)

(5) If still not fixed try to figure out a time when it wasn't occuring
(6) Using Time Machine restore the file "World of Warcraft.app" and the "Data" folder inside the World of Warcraft folder to a time when it wasn't occuring.

Be careful you don't want to go as far back as before the last patch. As always when fiddling with stuff Make a back up of your "World of Warcraft" folder first.

Good Luck
11-04-09, 08:23 AM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Your also assuming that the crash report the OP got could not be read by anything other then that tool (unless I've read your posts wrong).

In this case the crash report he posted is of the standard OS X report that has been slightly modified.
I didn't assume anything. "there's some things in those error files that need a special tool to decipher. It gives the support techs more info on what is wrong on the clients machine. Sometimes the error is obvious though... but they will always tell you to post a fresh error log after you've deleted the Cache folder and renamed the Interface and WTF folders (with no addons).. which give you a fresh testing bed to troubleshoot with. Posting an error log while using addons is useless" is what I said.

Obvious meaning you can clearly read it without any aid of a tool. While I cannot read those error logs quite as good as you can (you really should be volunteering in the mac tech forums as they would clearly benefit from having you), the one thing I do know for absolute certain is you never try to read those logs while the client was using addons. Always request that they remove the Cache, Interface and WTF folders (and in some cases run the Repair Tool) and then post a fresh error log. Giving out advice without having the client do those things first is not wise troubleshooting.
11-04-09, 09:17 AM   #19
Bluspacecow

I didn't assume anything.
My apologies. I thought you were making sweeping generalisations

you really should be volunteering in the mac tech forums as they would clearly benefit from having you
I already do. At times way too much.

Giving out advice without having the client do those things first is not wise troubleshooting.
Oh I was never refuting the wisdom of disabling addons before submitting crash reports. Lord knows how many time someone on the forums has claimed to disable addons when their crash report clearly shows addons in memory ::roll::

I was just refuting the mistaken impression I had that you believed crash reports to be divine messager from the programmer gods and we lowly mortals will never be able to understand them. An impression that you have since corrected
11-04-09, 10:42 AM   #20
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Cage match?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Total wow crashes on Login (any known addon conflicts around?)