07-15-07, 08:30 PM   #1
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
Interface Help - Custom Bar

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post, I'm looking for I guess more so of a addon to use, and how/where to do what it is I'm trying to do.

I've created a custom bar for the bottom portion of my screen where the Action Bar is located, I'm going to use either Trinity Bars or some other relative addon to place my button's, etc.. Where I am wanting them.

The problem is.. The custom bar I created in Photoshop, I don't know how to display it on WoW, I've seen lots of post's on DiscordArt, and xArt. Just, I haven't been able to find neither one of these addon's, nor sure if they will do what I am wanting or not..

Any help would be appreciated. The image I have right now for the bar is exactly 1024x256. Which I know is rather large, but I can resize, cut, etc.. If need be.

Thanks to all of you in advance.

-Chris
07-15-07, 08:34 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
eePanels from http://files.wowace.com

make sure that your texture is a TGA, with an alpha layer, and its dimensions are a power of 2.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-15-07, 08:37 PM   #3
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ported Discord Mods. DART will do all you want and more. You need the discord library to use DART. The image needs to be a power of 2:
Code:
2,416,32,64,128,256, and 512
The highest you can go up to is 512 x 512, the files has to be a .tga and it has to have a alpha layer.

To put images into DART, put them in the CustomTextures folder. Then in game, click where it says "click to add image", go to custom and type in the image name, EX: blah.tga

Then when the image shows up, press accept and enable the image. Next you have to turn the blend mode to blend and move it, and scale it to how you want it.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
07-15-07, 08:40 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You can go higher, Dreadlorde. The next one up is 1024.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-15-07, 08:42 PM   #5
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
Awesome..

Very fast response's, I was like maybe I should fiddle around with some other stuff then check back later, but I guess not.. heh.

Thanks to both of you, I'm going to try DiscordArt in just a few moments and see what type of response I can get out of it.

Thanks again to both of you, I hope when I have other issue's I can get them resolved this fast.

-Chris
07-15-07, 08:43 PM   #6
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah
You can go higher, Dreadlorde. The next one up is 1024.
since when...that actually helps with some new art I made..o.k...going to make tonight

07-15-07, 10:08 PM   #7
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
I downloaded DiscordART and the Library, I can type /dart and open the option's but I cannot find where you are talking about that allow's me to add a image. I saved the image as a .TGA file.. but for some reason can't get it to show up, well more so, can't find the option to even get in the 1st step.

-Chris
07-15-07, 10:09 PM   #8
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

it says "click here to add an image, click it twice.

07-15-07, 10:12 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
DART comes with an *extensive* readme.

edit: unless I'm thinking about DUF... but I think both do.

07-15-07, 10:17 PM   #10
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
I don't see a 'Click To Add Image' Option when typing /Dart.
07-15-07, 10:18 PM   #11
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's in the option window, you need to have the options enabled.

dart has a very, very extensive readme like seerah said. read it

07-15-07, 10:22 PM   #12
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
I've been reading it.. I still can't seem to get it to go.

The guide says..

Backdrop Options:

Preset Backdrops: - Choose a backdrop from the drop-down menu to load its settings.
Background Texture - Enter the filepath of a texture to use as the background texture. Entering just the file's name will cause the mod to assume it's in the DiscordArt/CustomTextures folder.
Border Texture - Enter the filepath of a texture to use as the border texture. Entering just the file's name will cause the mod to assume it's in the DiscordArt/CustomTextures folder.
Tile - Check this to cause the background texture to be tiled.
Tile Size - Use this to set the size of the tiles in which the background texture displays.
Edge Size - Use this to set the width of the border.
Insets - Use these to define how far the background is inset from the outer edge of the border....I think.

---

Which I can get the backgroun to show in the texture window, but I can't get it to actually be on screen, I unticked 'Hide Background' and still nothing.
07-15-07, 10:24 PM   #13
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

like i said before, enable it.

07-15-07, 10:31 PM   #14
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'm getting it now where it is showing just a black area.. I believe I'm doing something wrong image side now. Can Photoshop CS2 be used to save a .TGA file? I'm having to open the PSD to even edit the image because it cannot read a TGA file.
07-16-07, 08:01 AM   #15
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm pretty sure CS2 can save .tga files, I'm using Gimp to make all my texures. I think with XS2 you need the alpha layer plugin to make alpha layers.

07-16-07, 09:13 AM   #16
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
Yes! I got it down now.. What is was that it wasn't showing is that I guess Photoshop does have a problem with Alpha Layers or something, I just simply opened the image in GIMP (Never tried GIMP.. I love it already) already as a PSD, and just added a Alpha Layer, saved as .tga and it was able to display the image.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to do. I'll need to find a tutorial on how to remove the action bars and stuff so that I can place what I'm wanting where I need it.

Thanks so much guys, sorry it was a bit confusing for me.. Probably difficult for you 2 aswell. I usually read the FAQ's and Read Me's before asking, but I guess I was somewhat on the right track just was a bit confused with things like "Click to add Image" isn't a actual option that I have found yet.. I used "Click to set texture". Also not knowing about Photoshop CS2 not having Alpha Layer capability for TARGA files.

Thanks again!

-Chris
07-16-07, 09:31 AM   #17
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Actually, if you use CS2 to make you images, save them as a psd file, then open them in GIMP, and save them as .tga, it creates the alpha layers for you.

07-16-07, 09:44 AM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Shadizzle
I'll need to find a tutorial on how to remove the action bars and stuff so that I can place what I'm wanting where I need it.
Bartender3, Bongos, Trinity, etc.

07-16-07, 11:14 AM   #19
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
I thought I'd just share the image I'm going to use as my Action Bar.. Just so you guy's can see sorta what I'm up to. It's just a black ordinary bar I know.. I'm not the greatest of designer's and this is my first so yeah, it's going to be a little plain and probably a really tight squeeze. I'll make it work tho...

Thanks again, and hope you enjoy!

07-16-07, 11:16 AM   #20
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thats actually really good, way better than the grapgics I've made/ripped.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Interface Help - Custom Bar