07-16-07, 11:28 AM   #21
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
One more quick question..

Of the Addon's that were just mentioned (Bartender3, Bongos, Trinity) what would you guys suggest? Well that wouldn't be like a major memory hog, an so forth.. Because they all do basically the same, or so it looks that way anyway. My computer isn't one of the top notch system's out there.. I'm running on a AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2GB DDR2 RAM, WinXP Pro.
07-16-07, 11:49 AM   #22
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Bongos2 uses the least amount of memory out of BT3,Bongos2, and Trinity.

And 2GB of ram is really good.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
07-16-07, 12:02 PM   #23
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
And 2GB of ram is really good.
Yes. I think people should not be that much concerned about their memory usage especially with the new memory management and dynamic allocation. I only have 1G, always have Auctioneer (55% full, same database for the past year) and LootLink (more than 70k items) loaded all the time plus a couple others high memory addons and I have no problem. As far as CPU usage is concerned this is a totally different story
07-16-07, 12:05 PM   #24
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kaomie
Yes. I think people should not be that much concerned about their memory usage especially with the new memory management and dynamic allocation. I only have 1G, always have Auctioneer (55% full, same database for the past year) and LootLink (more than 70k items) loaded all the time plus a couple others high memory addons and I have no problem. As far as CPU usage is concerned this is a totally different story
Even if I had 16GB of RAM I wouldn't have auctioneer on all the time.

07-16-07, 12:17 PM   #25
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Even if I had 16GB of RAM I wouldn't have auctioneer on all the time.
Again I do not think RAM would be an issue anyway. Then Auctioneer does add to the CPU load and give some spikes when zoning, but I can live with that as I really like to know how each item I get/see is valuated (prevents me from vendor-trashing a green item that would go for couple dozen gold on the AH because it happens to be very usefull for a specific build or some twinking). Not necessary of course, just very convenient.
07-16-07, 12:28 PM   #26
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I have to disagree about Auctioneer. I love the mod but it used an average of 14-25MB of RAM. KCI uses less than 2MB. The CPU impact for me was pretty minimal. Bear in mind that I only have an Athlon 2000+, 1GB of RAM, and a Radeon 9800PRO.

As for that bar art: that's pretty slick!

And for bar mods: Bongos2 uses the least memory as Dread said. But which one to use depends on what you need/want.
I like Bongos and suggest it if it works for you. It's easy to use and setup. It just didn't have the advance button placement that I missed from DAB.
Trinity is what I use. It's a bit more extensive but I found I have the greatest control over, well, everything.

07-16-07, 03:18 PM   #27
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Gemini_II
I have to disagree about Auctioneer. I love the mod but it used an average of 14-25MB of RAM. KCI uses less than 2MB. The CPU impact for me was pretty minimal. Bear in mind that I only have an Athlon 2000+, 1GB of RAM, and a Radeon 9800PRO.
That's what I am trying to say, it takes memory but it does not matter as much as CPU load, and I do not understand why people rely mostly on memory usage to tell which addons perform better (it may indicate better coding and less garbage collection, but it's not direct impact). And I run WoW on my laptop P4M 1.73G 1G RAM Radeon X300, so I know what it is to be limited on ressources You can enable CPU profiling and compare the results, I am not sure addons with the highest memory usage will necessarily be the ones with highest CPU usage (which is what impact gameplay the most for me).

Last edited by Kaomie : 07-16-07 at 03:23 PM.
07-16-07, 03:20 PM   #28
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's what I am trying to say, it takes memory but it does not matter as much as CPU load, and I do not understand why people rely mostly on memory usage to tell which addons perform better (it may indicate better coding and less garbage collection, but it's not direct impact). And I run WoW on my laptop P4M 1.73G 1G RAM Radeon X300, so I know what it is to be limited on ressources
I have 256 MB of RAM, and a Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.

07-16-07, 03:26 PM   #29
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I have 256 MB of RAM, and a Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.
Okay not sure about 256MB (minimum recommend by Blizz is 512MB I think). Did the game ever run out of memory on you since 2.1?

Last edited by Kaomie : 07-16-07 at 03:31 PM.
07-16-07, 03:32 PM   #30
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Okay not sure about 256MB (minimum recommend by Blizz is 512MB I think). Did the game ever run out of memory on you since 2.1?
No ..I need more RAM, I know. Working on it. And yes 512 is recommended, I'm going to try to get 1GB.

07-16-07, 03:39 PM   #31
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

No ..
See

To come back to the bars mod comparison here my question: Which of the addons has the lowest CPU usage? If it has the functionalities I need that's the one I would be using, regardless the memory usage (unless it's completely unreasonable and leaks dozen of megs per minute )

Last edited by Kaomie : 07-16-07 at 03:47 PM.
07-16-07, 03:41 PM   #32
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Bongos2

too short

See

To come back to the bars mod comparison here my question: Which of the addons has the lowest CPU usage? That's the one I would be using, regardless the memory usage (unless it's completely unreasonable and leaks dozen of megs per minute )
DUF,DAB, and auctioneer drop my FPS to about 5, and then I lag a lot more than usual.

07-16-07, 03:46 PM   #33
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Bongos2

DUF,DAB, and auctioneer drop my FPS to about 5, and then I lag a lot more than usual.
Okay now this is relevant information, thanks!

PS: I use Bongos2 also but because I like the way it works, not really paid attention to CPU and not even to mention RAM

Last edited by Kaomie : 07-16-07 at 03:48 PM.
07-16-07, 04:50 PM   #34
Shadizzle
A Fallenroot Satyr
I think I'll go ahead and use Trinity, I know how to use Trinity already just didn't know if it was limited or not.. or just builds alot of trash. Thanks you guys tho for the help, I appreciate it.

Also.. My computer is just a upgrade from a broke down eMachine. I just upgraded the Case, Power Supply, Mobo, CPU, and RAM. I kept everything else (what little it was). I had to reformat the drive tho because for some reason Windows XP didn't want to run with the new build.

Also, I got everything for the upgrade for only like $300 on Newegg. It was bundled, not sure if they even carry it anymore.. It's the fastest speed I've had on a computer ever.. I can run anything I want, and run it multiple times if I wanted to without a problem, it's cool.

My video is onboard tho, simply because I didn't want to put alot of money into something that is just basically right now as something to get me buy until I can make a bit more money to make a bigger build.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Interface Help - Custom Bar