08-24-07, 07:47 PM   #21
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd mention that Tekkub was one of the few authors whose been cool about all the various MazzleUI controversies since day 1 and that he was clearly being sarcastic, but I'm not going to. I don't want to be selfish and keep all the unfair author bashing all to myself. Enjwa the bountiful harvest, Tekkub!
08-24-07, 09:52 PM   #22
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I caught your sarcasm, tek. Hey! I help alleviate patch day stress by putting it out a day or two later.

edit: well... you could also just call me lazy...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-24-07, 10:29 PM   #23
joive
A Theradrim Guardian

Red face Brb

Obviously, I didn't. I believed that an "another hate attack was coming" and the "Banzai Alert" turned red.

I blame Seerah for not writing before I did, and letting me aggro someone I shouldn't . I need to turn off the Omen/KTM stuff a little.

Sir James Dewar
08-24-07, 10:33 PM   #24
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

That's what happens when you become too dependent on your mods... then you're in here on patch day crying cause you can't play without your KLHTM or KMFDM or MDFMK or whatever it is.
08-28-07, 12:31 PM   #25
Aygen
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
No, I haven't tried it, all my WoW friends are wetting their pants in anticipation of Warhammer. I don't quite get it -- I looked at a couple videos, and if someone had told me that it was the next expansion of WoW, I would have believed them -- but I'm definitely curious. The combat system in Age of Conan also sound pretty novel and interesting.

I hope they all suck though! I need less computer games in my life, not more.
It's really nothing to look forward too ;_; ... I was at pax last weekend and played it for an hour or so ... reminded me of wow ... alot ... ... ... alot alot.
08-29-07, 01:33 AM   #26
Rhothran
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Rhothran the jerk

.Time for me to be a big jerk.

Mind if I ask what's taking so long in you making your decision of whether to continue or not?
08-29-07, 03:24 PM   #27
Aegien
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
As a recent Mazzle convert i certainly hope that you don't stop developing this wonderful mod. You've done an amazing job! (though I do wish you'd ditch Discord!)
08-29-07, 03:42 PM   #28
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Rhothran
.Time for me to be a big jerk.

Mind if I ask what's taking so long in you making your decision of whether to continue or not?
Just real life stuff. I had house guests until about two weeks ago, so I didn't have much time. But things are now getting back to normal. I'm trying to figure out whether I want to put the time in, whether I want to open the WoW door again, how hard it will be logistically to set up the site, and whether I'll have the ability to do something well now that I don't play the game. I think my current to-do list would probably get me through six months of worthwhile updates for subscribers, but I'll probably be more and more out of touch with the game since I don't play.

And, frankly, it's the nature of these things. There's usually very few concrete reasons to totally close the door. I bet that why Lozareth took so long to finally decide.

We'll see...
08-29-07, 03:54 PM   #29
Laslo
Premium Member
Premium Member
Speaking of Discord,

There was a time a long time ago Loz was planning on making Discord merchandise (mugs, t-shirts, etc.) and had the poll to see if people would buy the stuff and what they would buy.

He said that people shouldn't say they would buy stuff if they really wouldn't because of the expense he would be paying out of his own pocket. Everyone hopped on board and said yes. He went through the expense of making everything that people said they would buy, but when it came time for people to pony up the cash, he got a total of like 3 orders.

I warn you that a lot of people here may do the same thing. I don't care one way or another since I don't use your UI, but I'd hate to see someone go through all that trouble again and get screwed.

If you don't play the game anymore, don't waste your time. These people will have to learn to either maintain it themselves or perhaps someone else will pick it up.
08-29-07, 04:35 PM   #30
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ironically, I am an owner of a nice, black Discord long-sleeve t-shirt.
08-29-07, 06:29 PM   #31
joive
A Theradrim Guardian

Arrow The Black Discord Underwear.

Maybe you go through all that trouble and get screwed. Maybe someone can continue with a similar UI. Maybe people can learn to create and maintain their own compilations and/or add-ons. Maybe people that don't use your UI can give you a better, noble and uninterested advice (*?). Maybe Elvis is still alive and living in an apartment with John Lennon, Bruce Lee and Kurt Cobain. Maybe the future is joiveUI, a compilation with more bugs than add-ons, more time loading that playing, and more "when I try to access the menu while I am in a party I only cast something, help me" than "I love your UI joive, the joivefier is great".

You should do this, you shouldn't do that. Your time, your motivation, your choice.

Sir James Dewar
08-29-07, 11:54 PM   #32
airdragon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Coming from me, do what you need to do Mazzle. I think what a lot of people have forgotten is that you do this because it should entertain you. I now that you are probably thinking "But I had such a great time and then theres all that extra junk....." The extra junk will be here again regardless of what you do. It is the nature of the consumptive world. People want the answer now, not in 2 mins after they read it. People also want to be reassured that they are doing the right stuff to get what they want.

I loved MazzleUI for all the little things it did for me. Heck, MazzleUI might be one of the reasons I still played the game (among a few select others). It made me realize things could do what I wanted them to do without meticulously modifying them all the time. MazzleUI made me WANT to look at my screen again.

The button layouts.... amazing.... heck I'll prolly use your Mage button layouts till the end of forever (or I stop playing WoW, whichever comes first )

But as you can probably guess, from the way I used past tense in there, that I no longer use MazzleUI. There is no "because Mazzle said this" reasons or anything, I just wanted to make my own is all. To see if I can do it (there might be a little of the patch breaking it fever involved in it as well, but just a little, less than 1%). Theres a little folder in my WoW backup called MazzleUI, waiting for me to go back the minute I want to I ponder doing it at least once every two days.

But all that aside I want to give the biggest piece of advice about this game and every other game out there. If the point of a game is having fun, why play it if you are not having fun? Why have anything to do with it? Sure you might have spent millions of hours playing it, but why should that make you HAVE to keep playing?

Take me for example, I loved Chrono Trigger. I played it so much I had to replace my original with a new one cause I MELTED it to my SNES. Hundreds of hours of repeating things over and over again, cause I really enjoyed it. I could sit down and probably recite to you the whole game, verbatim. Would i pick it up and play it today? Nope, don't enjoy playing it anymore, thats why I don't play it. Would I suggest it to someone? In a heartbeat. But I don't look back at my game cartridge and think "Man I spent hundreds of hours playing that game, I should go back because I spent hundred of hours playing it." Thats a wrong reason. The right reason would be "Man I spent hundreds of hours playing that game and I think I would really enjoy sitting down and beating that boss again, or maybe get the frog ending!"

But I rant, as I am oft to do. So I'll stop now while I'm ahead and just say this. If you decide to keep it going because you enjoy doing it, sweet, I'll be one of the first people in line to download it. You decide to forgo it and try out some other avenues, awesome, I hope whatever it is knocks your socks off.

So one way or another Mazzle, Peace!
(I'll still be here once in a while trolling away answers as best I can, so long as it it keeps amusing/entertaining me)
08-30-07, 12:45 AM   #33
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where did that come from? lol

Thanks for the nice sentiment, but I think it's off the mark. This has nothing to do with having fun or the time I've invested in WoW or the UI. If I continued, it would be mostly for mercenary reasons. I'm just trying to gauge whether I have the interest or the time.

08-30-07, 11:46 AM   #34
Stumps
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Laslo
Speaking of Discord,

There was a time a long time ago Loz was planning on making Discord merchandise (mugs, t-shirts, etc.) and had the poll to see if people would buy the stuff and what they would buy.

He said that people shouldn't say they would buy stuff if they really wouldn't because of the expense he would be paying out of his own pocket. Everyone hopped on board and said yes. He went through the expense of making everything that people said they would buy, but when it came time for people to pony up the cash, he got a total of like 3 orders.

I warn you that a lot of people here may do the same thing. I don't care one way or another since I don't use your UI, but I'd hate to see someone go through all that trouble again and get screwed.

If you don't play the game anymore, don't waste your time. These people will have to learn to either maintain it themselves or perhaps someone else will pick it up.
I agree with most of what your saying. I would be a shame if a website was made, and only a few signed on. However, I heavily doubt that will happen. I, for one, would happily pay money for updates to this UI. Ive gone through so many of them, and this is by far the best.
08-30-07, 11:48 AM   #35
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stumps
I agree with most of what your saying. I would be a shame if a website was made, and only a few signed on. However, I heavily doubt that will happen. I, for one, would happily pay money for updates to this UI. Ive gone through so many of them, and this is by far the best.
You must not know how many people said they would buy a tee shirt from Loz. Or how many people used to use (and some still do) discord mods.

EDIT: (This edit is for mazzle)

If you do another version of Mazzle UI, I could make some new skins for it. I'm planning on redoing the Discord one because I can do much better with it. I was planning on doing a Alien one, maybe a starcraft one. Any suggestions are welcome.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

Last edited by Dreadlorde : 08-30-07 at 11:51 AM.
08-30-07, 11:51 AM   #36
Stumps
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
You must not know how many people said they would buy a tee shirt from Loz. Or how many people used to use (and some still do) discord mods.
No, i don't know. lol.

In the end, it's all up to mazzle. "You gotta do what you gotta do."
08-30-07, 04:27 PM   #37
airdragon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Where did that come from? lol

Thanks for the nice sentiment, but I think it's off the mark. This has nothing to do with having fun or the time I've invested in WoW or the UI. If I continued, it would be mostly for mercenary reasons. I'm just trying to gauge whether I have the interest or the time.

Mercenary reasons... hmm, I will have to add that to the list.

And yeah it may have been out of no where, but it needed to be said. Sure it may be the wrong place and the wrong time, but I felt I had to say it. I do enjoy a good rant as well, otherwise, you'll never guess... yup I would not do it

but I do think some of it in hindsight is useful. If you have to take time to gauge whether or not you want to spend the time doing it..... you may be thinking to hard about it. I say relax, go with your gut. It cannot be all that bad if it helped you make this UI after all.
08-31-07, 03:53 AM   #38
Detritus
A Cyclonian

Those kind of compilation updates happen every week because they are very straightforward. They're usually just updating the individual add-ons and/or repackaging up their WTF folder.

In any case, Tuccim, I wouldn't worry too much. Mallinoric reports that he's only encountered one error that stops the installation process. There might be some other 'soft' errors (or even hard errors in other installation setups), but I obviously haven't tested it myself. I'm still considering putting up the site, but right now I'm having trouble mustering the motivation. Moreover, it feels good to have the WoW monkey off my back.
Hmz...sounds to me like your decision is pretty much made. No WoW account and enjoying the freedom doesn't sound like a developer that's really going to dig back in and continue developing. The thing I've loved about Mazzle UI whilst I've been using it is the clear level of attention to detail and love that has gone into the project. If your heart isn't in it (even if your wallet is!) I can't see the UI developing in a positive direction. For me, this means I'm going to start investigating other options, probably a DIY interface...although I'll likely continue using Mazzle in the short to medium term until it is broken by patch upgrades. I'd like to thank you for the time you've put into the project. Mazzle UI revolutionised my UI and has significantly enhanced my enjoyment of WoW. GL with your next MMO.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » go to a pay site soon pls.