06-05-09, 05:59 PM   #1
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

defrag addons to prevent crashes?

I heard some about a addon who can defrag all adons for a faster loading character, what addon is this? Btw is a blizzard issue and many have it - the computer frozen sometimes while loading a character, usually the highest character?
This is big issue and i have it sometimes, to crash your entire computer because a game, and we pay for this game lol. Sry my english
06-05-09, 06:05 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've not read anything about that. The best way to defrag is to either use what came with Windows (which I don't personally use) or use Defraggler.

If you are having a serious issue with the game, you need to post over in the official tech support forums. They can better assist you with that than we can.

Last edited by Petrah : 06-05-09 at 06:09 PM.
06-05-09, 07:33 PM   #3
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

oh and the name of this addon i heard is something like "zoom" but after a search i found a Zoom but isnt about defrag
I see Deffragler isnt free
06-05-09, 07:57 PM   #4
Starinnia
Ninja Code Monkey
Defraggler is too free.

To quote the download page:
Although this software is free please donate to help support the software and site costs.
06-06-09, 05:27 AM   #5
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

oh thanks, anyway i gues isnt better than the windows defrag so i dont want to install more stuff, he have the option to defrag what files u want but i dont get this, isnt so important
06-06-09, 07:58 AM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

I've not hear of an addon like that either.

Not only that I'm not sure how relevant having a defragmented Hard Drive has on how fast addons load or not.

Defragmenting is a process where you place all the blocks that makes up a file together in a continous way ie one after the other.

Why do I think this is not really relevant to loading addons ?

Well because for it to make a significant difference your hard drive would have to be really really fragmented.

And it would effect your entire HD not just your addons.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
06-06-09, 08:42 AM   #7
GravityDK
A Defias Bandit
You are thinking of AddonLoader, but most addons do not support it (yet).
06-06-09, 09:53 AM   #8
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by honem View Post
I've not hear of an addon like that either.

Not only that I'm not sure how relevant having a defragmented Hard Drive has on how fast addons load or not.

Defragmenting is a process where you place all the blocks that makes up a file together in a continous way ie one after the other.

Why do I think this is not really relevant to loading addons ?

Well because for it to make a significant difference your hard drive would have to be really really fragmented.

And it would effect your entire HD not just your addons.
Also, I read that the NTFS hard drive system is meant to not need much degragging if any at all.
06-06-09, 10:26 AM   #9
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

a disk error check - sheduled automatically at start fixed for me some Cant read errors, my question btw is where i can see the CHDISK report lol, it is displayed to fast on the blue screen and windows start. I gues nobody know and thx microsoft for suck retarded things lol
06-06-09, 11:33 AM   #10
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
Also, I read that the NTFS hard drive system is meant to not need much degragging if any at all.
You were misinformed. NTFS definitely requires a defragmentation tool, though not nearly as much as FAT16/32.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
06-06-09, 11:47 AM   #11
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Ah, yes. I read that it was not nearly as necessary as a FAT system. I replied in a different way. Thanks for the clarification.
06-06-09, 04:09 PM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
a disk error check - sheduled automatically at start fixed for me some Cant read errors, my question btw is where i can see the CHDISK report lol, it is displayed to fast on the blue screen and windows start. I gues nobody know and thx microsoft for suck retarded things lol
chkdsk results are in your Event Viewer. Microsoft put it where it should be. You need to learn how to use your operating system.... there's are tons of books you can purchase to learn how to use Windows.
06-06-09, 04:48 PM   #13
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
You were misinformed. NTFS definitely requires a defragmentation tool, though not nearly as much as FAT16/32.
Does anyone still use FAT? That is something from the old days, I thought, when drives were less than 20gb.

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
chkdsk results are in your Event Viewer. Microsoft put it where it should be. You need to learn how to use your operating system.... there's are tons of books you can purchase to learn how to use Windows.
What other OS makes you purchase 'the extras' that directly impact usability? The last time I looked at Mac and Linux, neither of them made you purchase user manuals or other items that made the user feel they were 'at home' on their OS. I guess when one of them dominate the OS market with an iron fist, they'll make you pay for the extras, too.

Sorry for the /offtopic. It just smacked me in the face with a rotting fish.
06-06-09, 04:54 PM   #14
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I disagree, when I manually run chkdsk, the results should be displayed TO ME. Putting them in the event log as well is a good thing, but it just quitting silently after a scan is really annoying. Took me a week to figure out where those damn things were going.
06-06-09, 05:20 PM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
I disagree, when I manually run chkdsk, the results should be displayed TO ME. Putting them in the event log as well is a good thing, but it just quitting silently after a scan is really annoying. Took me a week to figure out where those damn things were going.
They are available to you. In the Event Viewer.. where all events get logged.

Of course, you always have the option to have a say in changing that feature, should you decide to beta test the next release of Windows following 7.
06-06-09, 05:32 PM   #16
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Zoom!!! is the add on the OP is referring to.

It made your UI load faster by preventing garbage collection during the UI load cycle.

I remember reading somewhere that Blizzard had changed the garbage collection in WoW somehow in a very recent patch.

In any case, the add on is outdated, it no longer speeds up load time.

Link is below if you wish to pursue:

Zoom!!!
06-06-09, 05:39 PM   #17
keLston
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
oh and the name of this addon i heard is something like "zoom" but after a search i found a Zoom but isnt about defrag
I see Deffragler isnt free
The addon you are referring to is Zoom!!!, which is available at http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ails/zoom.aspx (not sure on the rules here about linking to rival sites though).

It doesn't defrag your addons, it causes all addon garbage collection during loading to occur all at once instead of as the addons request them. I don't know if it is working with the new patches but I run it anyway.
06-06-09, 05:47 PM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Even if Zoom was updated and it worked, it will not help the OPs issue. If he/she is suffering from "can't read" errors, it would seem something is corrupting his files (hence the use of chkdsk). Nine times out of ten this is due to either faulty RAM or severely damaged sectors on the hard drive. Both of which can cause file corruption.
06-07-09, 08:57 AM   #19
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

Thanks guys, anyway i wont use zoom, i see nobody have good words about it. Now i cant find chdisk report in event log (from administrativ tools, right?). Lol i need to learn to use computer? they need to learn to be smart and to make a program like chdisk with a report at end, not hidden with 100 other things in event log

Im wonder if i really can have some file errors (not bad sectors, my hard is ok and is kinda new and well used) and if chdisk can correct them and if this appear in the stupid report.
Also because computer freeze while loading a char (or teleporting or something like that too) and need a forced restart, can appear some file errors or windows problems?

Last edited by xromania™ : 06-07-09 at 09:04 AM.
06-07-09, 09:16 AM   #20
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Don't like it? Write your OWN OS to display TO YOU

Til then, you get what you have

Marth

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » defrag addons to prevent crashes?