06-07-09, 10:47 AM   #21
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
They are available to you. In the Event Viewer.. where all events get logged.
My point is, when I run a program, I want the program to give me the results. I don't want to have to go looking for them. A manual run is not an "Event" any more than opening Notepad, or Firefox is an "Event". Not displaying the results when it runs automatically (e.g. bad shutdown) is fine. ScanDisk, when run manually would give you a nice detailed report afterwords of what it found. Disk defrag still gives you a nice before and after.

Then chkdsk comes around, I run it on my storage drive inside windows and, after maintaining a full read/write lock on that drive for about two hours, it just goes "I'm done! Click OK to continue!" when that message could just as easily, and really should be, "I'm done! Here's what happened! Click OK!"

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
Don't like it? Write your OWN OS to display TO YOU

Til then, you get what you have
I have my own OS to display it to me. It's called Linux. fsck, when run manually, still displays a summary after it completes instead of just burying it in the log file.

Last edited by Vyper : 06-07-09 at 10:49 AM.
06-07-09, 05:13 PM   #22
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
I have my own OS to display it to me. It's called Linux. fsck, when run manually, still displays a summary after it completes instead of just burying it in the log file.

If you have Linux, then why are you complaining about Windows? As I stated before, if you don't like it then get yourself in one of the beta runs and voice your displeasure.

People manually run chkdsk for a reason. The very first time I ran chkdsk I took the time to research how to properly run it, what exactly it does, and how to find the results of the scan. If your blindly running something on your software without doing the same, then you only have yourself to blame if you have to hunt for the results given. Grumbling at me because the results aren't where you think they should be isn't going to change anything. Work with what you have or don't use the software.
06-07-09, 06:39 PM   #23
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you have Linux, then why are you complaining about Windows? As I stated before, if you don't like it then get yourself in one of the beta runs and voice your displeasure.

People manually run chkdsk for a reason. The very first time I ran chkdsk I took the time to research how to properly run it, what exactly it does, and how to find the results of the scan. If your blindly running something on your software without doing the same, then you only have yourself to blame if you have to hunt for the results given. Grumbling at me because the results aren't where you think they should be isn't going to change anything. Work with what you have or don't use the software.
I don't think he's grumbling at 'you', he's expressing his displeasure in an OS that tries to keep everyone else handicapped, and is itself handicapped in many ways that are not user friendly, or at least, it appeared that was his gripe .

<3
06-07-09, 08:40 PM   #24
Vyper

I have Linux, and I have Windows. Us computer nerds sometimes do such things ;-).

Actually I have the beta, and have filed a bug report or two, though not about this. Now that you suggest it, I think I will, though I doubt it will come to anything. Microsoft has been making some strange decisions lately.

People manually run chkdsk for a reason. The very first time I ran chkdsk I took the time to research how to properly run it, what exactly it does, and how to find the results of the scan.
I do run it manually for a reason... because I suspect something is wrong with my disc, and I want to know for sure. The assumption that it would come out and tell me that yes, indeed something is wrong, as its predecessor did, I don't think is so far fetched. Personally I think the way it operates not is like having the calculator put the result of 16*4 in the event log.

If your blindly running something on your software without doing the same, then you only have yourself to blame if you have to hunt for the results
given.
No, bad software design is bad software design, regardless of whether or not I assumed it would work as previous versions did. That I did not know it advance it would be there, could, yes, have been rectified by me reading the MSDN docs instead of assuming it would give the results to me directly, but that doesn't change the fact that it was in the wrong spot in the first place.

Grumbling at me because the results aren't where you think they should be isn't going to change anything. Work with what you have or don't use the software.
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I don't think he's grumbling at 'you', he's expressing his displeasure in an OS that tries to keep everyone else handicapped, and is itself handicapped in many ways that are not user friendly, or at least, it appeared that was his gripe .
<3
Yhor hit the nail on the head. Nothing I stated was meant for you personally, I was merely voicing my opinion about some design decisions Microsoft apparently made. I'm not sure what I've said that seems to have upset you so, but I do sincerely apologize. I was trying to make conversation, not start an argument.
06-08-09, 12:01 AM   #25
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
I have Linux, and I have Windows. Us computer nerds sometimes do such things ;-).

Actually I have the beta, and have filed a bug report or two, though not about this. Now that you suggest it, I think I will, though I doubt it will come to anything. Microsoft has been making some strange decisions lately.

I do run it manually for a reason... because I suspect something is wrong with my disc, and I want to know for sure. The assumption that it would come out and tell me that yes, indeed something is wrong, as its predecessor did, I don't think is so far fetched. Personally I think the way it operates not is like having the calculator put the result of 16*4 in the event log.

No, bad software design is bad software design, regardless of whether or not I assumed it would work as previous versions did. That I did not know it advance it would be there, could, yes, have been rectified by me reading the MSDN docs instead of assuming it would give the results to me directly, but that doesn't change the fact that it was in the wrong spot in the first place.

Yhor hit the nail on the head. Nothing I stated was meant for you personally, I was merely voicing my opinion about some design decisions Microsoft apparently made. I'm not sure what I've said that seems to have upset you so, but I do sincerely apologize. I was trying to make conversation, not start an argument.

Nah, you didn't upset me at all. I just don't get why people are complaining about something that's not going to change anytime soon. Personally it doesn't bother me that they've put the chkdsk results where they did. I prefer it there so it's in a log and I can go back to it later if need be. Perhaps I am the minority, but where the results are located just makes sense to me as normally I choose to watch TV while a chkdsk is running. When it's done I have a log to view, and I can view it at my own convenience.
06-08-09, 04:34 AM   #26
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

Guys ill repeat my post because nobody asnwer, at last at first question:

Now i cant find chdisk report in event log (from administrativ tools, right?). Lol i need to learn to use computer? they need to learn to be smart and to make a program like chdisk with a report at end, not hidden with 100 other things in event log

Im wonder if i really can have some file errors (not bad sectors, my hard is ok and is kinda new and well used) and if chdisk can correct them and if this appear in the stupid report.
Also because computer freeze while loading a char (or teleporting or something like that too) and need a forced restart, can appear some file errors or windows problems?
06-08-09, 05:11 AM   #27
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where it is located depends on what version of Windows you are using.

For Vista: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application. Look under the Source heading and scroll down till you see Wininit. It's in there.

XP is basically the same, only instead of Wininit you look for Winlogon.

You have a more serious issue going on with your computer and you need to post over in the official tech support forums (I can guide you better over there if I know what name your posting under, and I see your post). http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...Id=11110&sid=1

Last edited by Petrah : 06-08-09 at 05:14 AM.
06-09-09, 12:44 PM   #28
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

I dont think my pc have a serious issue... anyway the game is playable for me but if im playing like 5 hours per day, every 2-3 days i have a computer freeze while loading or teleporting the lvl 80 char only (!). Im lazzy to delete my WTF cache etc and to customize again all, but i dont think addons are the problem

Because computer freeze while loading a char (or teleporting or something like that too) and need a forced restart, can appear some file errors or windows problems?

Thanks, i found two chdisk logs, im wonder if there are some serious problems:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 701 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 701 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 701 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

61440560 KB total disk space.
40757312 KB in 121312 files.
49080 KB in 7374 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
202784 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
20431384 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
15360140 total allocation units on disk.
5107846 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
e0 08 02 00 b8 f6 01 00 ed 43 03 00 00 00 00 00 .........C......
d8 01 00 00 02 00 00 00 29 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........).......
86 76 f9 09 00 00 00 00 a0 00 a4 2e 00 00 00 00 .v..............
46 b2 40 0d 00 00 00 00 86 1f ad 55 02 00 00 00 [email protected]....
70 45 db 73 00 00 00 00 e2 05 f5 15 03 00 00 00 pE.s............
30 31 7d 71 00 00 00 00 e8 3e 07 00 e0 d9 01 00 01}q.....>......
00 00 00 00 00 00 a1 b7 09 00 00 00 ce 1c 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

And the other, the newest:

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused security descriptors.

61440560 KB total disk space.
40745680 KB in 120361 files.
49572 KB in 7374 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.

Strange, both reports show this $SII of file 0x9, probably caused by these forced restarts...
My hard have 3 partitions, is enough to check only C: where is windows and wow or need to ckeck all? Also i have other hard drive

Last edited by xromania™ : 06-09-09 at 12:59 PM.
06-09-09, 01:32 PM   #29
Vyper

That scan disk report essentially says your computer's disk is fine.

I wouldn't worry about those $SII reports, it's basically just cleaning up indexes for files that has already been deleted. If I were extremely bored I could find out for sure, but I suspect that it's just catching up on some housekeeping rather than any actual error (such as a forced restart) causing it.
06-09-09, 03:22 PM   #30
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

With the freezing you're describing, it sounds more like a video card, power supply, or heat issue. Do you have the freezing issue with no addons as well as with addons? Have you recently upgraded you video card, but left your power supply as is? When was the last time you cleaned you fans... etc.? I'm just asking, because I haven't seen this mentioned as yet.

I hope you get it resolved, I know I'm never happy when having computer problems.
06-10-09, 12:14 AM   #31
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Go to Start -> Run -> type dxdiag and press Enter. (Windows Vista: Press the Windows Key (the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard) + R (at the same time). Type in DXDIAG and press Enter or click 'OK', this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.) Click on the button that says Save All Information. Save the file to your desktop and name it DxDiag.txt. Open the text file with notepad and copy/paste everything listed under System Information, and everything listed under Display Device all the way down to Driver Date/Size.

Download HWMonitor (choose the correct one for your system, top left side) http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Run it after your computer has been sitting idle for a few hours. Take a screenshot of your temps and attache it here. Do the same after playing the game for awhile so we can see your temps.

Last edited by Petrah : 06-10-09 at 12:17 AM.
06-11-09, 11:32 AM   #32
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

Thanks guys but wont write more than this post i think because isnt here the place. What i noticed, because u speak about cleaning fans (yes i cleaned little, but didnt opened them), is when im starting some graphic aplications and sure wow, my video card fan make a bigger noise than usual, that is normally i think, to have more speed at some aplications, right?
But in other aplications this fan lower his speed in time, but in wow he run like crazy all the time, except sometimes at characters screen

I want to install wow at office and to bring it at home (where i dont have time to reinstall etc), but at home i should uninstall it or just replace it or to put it in another place, keeping and just renaming the original folder? But this game dont have strong stuff in registry, how is posible, because is, to not install the game and just copy paste it from another computer and the game run fine

this forum should have a general and technical sections about wow too, because here are more spe******ts and serious ppl no noobs and trolls like in official or unoficiall forums, where anyway nobody answer usually

Last edited by xromania™ : 06-11-09 at 11:37 AM.
06-11-09, 03:20 PM   #33
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
Thanks guys but wont write more than this post i think because isnt here the place. What i noticed, because u speak about cleaning fans (yes i cleaned little, but didnt opened them), is when im starting some graphic aplications and sure wow, my video card fan make a bigger noise than usual, that is normally i think, to have more speed at some aplications, right?
But in other aplications this fan lower his speed in time, but in wow he run like crazy all the time, except sometimes at characters screen

I want to install wow at office and to bring it at home (where i dont have time to reinstall etc), but at home i should uninstall it or just replace it or to put it in another place, keeping and just renaming the original folder? But this game dont have strong stuff in registry, how is posible, because is, to not install the game and just copy paste it from another computer and the game run fine

this forum should have a general and technical sections about wow too, because here are more spe******ts and serious ppl no noobs and trolls like in official or unoficiall forums, where anyway nobody answer usually

I use a file back-up service for work; it is private and guaranteed "no chance" of being 'looked at, or even hacked', or I get reimbursed for the damages (insurance). I don't put my actual games in there, but I had started using it to store all my configurations and addons that I customized for my taste. It saved me a lot of hassle the last time my hard drive crashed... but probably is useless now that none of my games actually allow for addons (except a little skinning). There may be a place to do this for free, but I'd have a hard time trusting them with any private material (ie.. username in wtf). As for copy/paste, I never tried, so I couldn't answer that.

As for your fan noise, you be able to just clean it. Get some compressed air (can get it in a can) and clean it while it is removed from computer (removing allows you to visually inspect it better). The fan should turn smoothly when you blow into it with a short breath, if it doesn't turn smoothly (sometimes you can feel the bearings turning when you're holding it and fan is turning... not good and a good indicator you need to replace it). I use this process for normal fans, and video card fans.

If you need to replace your video card, keep one thing in mind. Power supply. If you upgrade your video card to something newer, more powerful, and just plain modern, you may need to upgrade your power supply as well. Check the rating for your video card and make sure your power supply can handle it (for example, a 450W power supply will fail if attempting to run a 600W rated video card. I learned the hard way when I upgraded to an Asus EAH3870 x2 1GB and kept my 500W PS, not even thinking about it).

Good luck getting fixed up. I wish you the best .
06-11-09, 03:55 PM   #34
Ross
A Theradrim Guardian
If he/she is suffering from "can't read" errors, it would seem something is corrupting his files (hence the use of chkdsk). Nine times out of ten this is due to either faulty RAM or severely damaged sectors on the hard drive. Both of which can cause file corruption.
Maybe kinda off topic .. But I beg to differ with this quote.. the "Can't read" or "Can't write" that you get in WoW Nine out of ten times its NOT related to your computer (well to the extent that you can fix it). This is just the devs saying so cause they can't figure out what is causing it on their side. I got this error sometimes and researched it a lot and most the times people reinstall WoW, CHKDSK , defrag , Format hell some even buy new computer parts (RAM , mobo , cpu , etc..) and they still get this error. I would have to think its a Windows --> WoW Conflict error or some way WoW tries to write something causes it.
06-12-09, 05:05 AM   #35
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Maybe kinda off topic .. But I beg to differ with this quote.. the "Can't read" or "Can't write" that you get in WoW Nine out of ten times its NOT related to your computer (well to the extent that you can fix it). This is just the devs saying so cause they can't figure out what is causing it on their side. I got this error sometimes and researched it a lot and most the times people reinstall WoW, CHKDSK , defrag , Format hell some even buy new computer parts (RAM , mobo , cpu , etc..) and they still get this error. I would have to think its a Windows --> WoW Conflict error or some way WoW tries to write something causes it.
We'll agree to disagree then. Everything I've posted I have learned from the support technicians (who are not devs) over on the official forum because I've volunteered there for the last year. That, and I've learned from personal experience regarding repeated file corruption.

Any game related error you get (error 131, 132, 134 etcetera) is due to either your software or hardware. Those error files are specifically designed by the devs to let you know that you have an issue with your computer. Those error files can tell you a lot, if you know how to read them.
06-12-09, 05:35 AM   #36
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Any game related error you get (error 131, 132, 134 etcetera) is due to either your software or hardware. Those error files are specifically designed by the devs to let you know that you have an issue with your computer. Those error files can tell you a lot, if you know how to read them.
But...but...there can't be anything wrong with my machine! ZOMG!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
06-12-09, 05:44 AM   #37
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
But...but...there can't be anything wrong with my machine! ZOMG!

Morning, Torhal
06-12-09, 04:28 PM   #38
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Not anymore! Oh...wait...

</derail>

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
06-12-09, 05:38 PM   #39
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
You were misinformed. NTFS definitely requires a defragmentation tool, though not nearly as much as FAT16/32.
And still much MUCH more necessary that HPFS+.. and ext2/3/4, and reiser, and xfs.. and damn near every other filesystem out there..

In fact. the ONLY filesystems that are worse than NTFS are all basically just previous MS filesystems..

Oh.. and as far as errors go? Oh please.. Everyone with at least half a brain knows its either A) your hardware, or B) the software drivers FOR said hardware, or C) both A and B

Last edited by break19 : 06-12-09 at 05:41 PM.
06-13-09, 02:43 PM   #40
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

for moment my game run fine, i have bring (sry my english lol) from office wow folder and i put it on my other hard drive and i renamed the original folder. So probably the problem was with 1st hard drive (i just replaced anyway his cable), where was installed the game. Can be the game folder too the problem, but i dont think so, at office i had the game copied long time ago from home too.
Now im wonder if the game ill have some lag or low response because isnt on same hard drive with windows. Because i had but only 5 min some strange "pauses" in a BG, but i had that before too...

About fan noise i didnt got a clear answer. So is normally when im open a graphic aplication he start to make more noise? so video cards fans are set to have more speed when u start a graphic aplication?

Btw matter where my 2 hard drives have the cables inserted in motherboard, i mean in wich slot? there are 6 slots i thing, SATA 1, SATA 2 etc. Because after i replaced the cable i want too to put first drive in another slot but im wonder if ill be problems. I have 2 windows, one on each drive (but one is old and i dont use it often). Sry for the long thread and problems and thanks

Last edited by xromania™ : 06-13-09 at 02:53 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » defrag addons to prevent crashes?