11-16-19, 10:27 PM   #1
UberAce
A Murloc Raider
[WoW Classic] Alkitron HonorTab - Attempt to resurrect

I am a prior author of old Vanilla Honor tracker addons. Given the state of how Honor is tracked in WoW Classic, I wanted to revisit a honor tracker UI.

For WoW Classic
My criteria this time was to stay away from plugins like my original Honor addon which was a plugin to Infobar and Titan Panel. So I looked around and stumbled upon this simple addon.

All this uses for it’s UI is the existing Character Frame’s Honor Tab. If I could get this addon to work and understand how it replaces values on the WoW Honor tab, I could then start to incorporate my original addon’s honor equations.

Given that the toc interface version number is older than Classic version number...i was hoping just updating the toc interface number would work.
But, each time I try to get this addon to run, it just removes the existing Honor Tabs contents....blanks out the numbers.

Anyone able to take a quick look at the xml and see if there is something I can focus on to make this work? It is only 4 files. Very small addon.

Alkitron_HonorTab
https://github.com/ericraio/vanilla-...itron_HonorTab
11-16-19, 11:47 PM   #2
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Honor doesn't exist yet in Classic. I think it's coming in phase 2.

Edit:
  • Your Interface number in the ToC is wrong. 11302 is the current version.
  • Both your XML and Lua files have badly named variables and in the Lua file most those are named globally. That's asking for disaster.
  • The reference this has long been replaced with self.
  • Every one of your functions isn't local.
  • The variable factiongroup will never be nil in Classic and since it already returns strings, it would be easier to use strings "Alliance" or "Horde" rather than 0 or 1 because the strings are easier to read and debug.
  • I suggest creating or verifying your saved variables in PLAYER_LOGIN instead of VARIABLES_LOADED.
Those were the quick things I spotted. Check for stray global variables and functions with this tool, and have a read through porting addons to Classic along with the 1.13.2 changes.

Last edited by myrroddin : 11-17-19 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Tips and suggestions
11-17-19, 12:36 AM   #3
UberAce
A Murloc Raider
Thanks.

1) Honor pvp released this past Tuesday as Phase 2 is now live.

2) As I mentioned I updated the toc version number and that alone isnt enough. You are looking at the Github repo of the original authors code. I am just trying to make it work.

Again, this sint my code. Im trying to make it work. I guess based on your response I am guessing the LUA wow engine is not the one from Vanilla in Classic and I need to be looking at the BFA LUA engine?
11-17-19, 04:46 AM   #4
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by UberAce View Post
I guess based on your response I am guessing the LUA wow engine is not the one from Vanilla in Classic and I need to be looking at the BFA LUA engine?
Correct. Classic's Lua is from the 8.x version of the game, with some 8.x APIs getting renamed to their old vanilla versions, but not all. Plus there are new and different APIs that didn't exist in vanilla.

Not about the honor system, but an example would be RepByZone for Classic. When I was writing it, I discovered that quite a few of the map APIs were exactly the same for retail as for classic, with the numeric returns for zones being different. Most likely you will see something similar with the honor system.
11-17-19, 07:53 PM   #5
UberAce
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Correct. Classic's Lua is from the 8.x version of the game, with some 8.x APIs getting renamed to their old vanilla versions, but not all. Plus there are new and different APIs that didn't exist in vanilla..
Hmm...tried multi fixes based on your links provided. I can’t get past the events not firing, initial onload not triggering. Seems when I stopped coding addons in LK, I didn’t bother to think they would change this much in the core engine.

Classic is not Vanilla in so many ways. :confused
11-19-19, 12:32 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Events, load, etc. works the same way. You're missing something else.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » [WoW Classic] Alkitron HonorTab - Attempt to resurrect