12-17-10, 05:35 PM   #21
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
It looks smooth, but it's... well, I don't know. It seems to be a lot less informative than the previous one. On the main page, I miss the small box with all the info (although that might show at the buttons at the top now instead?). Addon download pages are very compressed, with only one picture showing now and the detailed information being hidden unless you click to show it.

Perhaps that's the design intent, but I don't like it too much.

Other than that it does look nice though.
Agreed Like the new layout's direction, but the informative style of the previous is, imo, a good feature that should be retained Being able to quickly glance at all screenshots of an addon and it's file information without clicking around is just too handy.
12-17-10, 05:59 PM   #22
Beoko
Great job on the new layout.

Are there any plans to add some much desired organization tools (such as deletion and category selection)?
12-17-10, 06:20 PM   #23
Elloria
An Onyxian Warder

Agreed! I love where you guys are going with the new lay out. Nice work!
12-17-10, 07:50 PM   #24
Phanx
Cat.

I hate to rain on the parade, but I'm not a fan.

The "light" theme is gone. The dark theme doesn't have quite enough contrast, and is really hard for me to read more than short phrases, even zoomed in.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Addon pages are really generic looking overall, and hide important things like the links for reporting bugs or requesting features. Enough people already overlooked those with the old design. Now they're not even "above the fold", so even fewer people will notice them. I'd also guess that most people won't notice the link to view additional screenshots. A simple way to improve this would be to switch the order of things in the right column around so it went:
  • Download
  • Add to Favorites | Install Help
  • Report Bugs | Request Features | Author Portal
  • [advertisement]
  • [screenshot #1]
  • [screenshot #2]
  • [screenshot #3]
  • [screenshot #4]
  • [screenshot #5]
  • [link to more screenshots if > 5]
  • [info box]
I'd also suggest putting the "updated" date up with the download link, and the info box at the bottom, since the vast majority of users probably don't care about anything in it.

Addon pages (and probably other pages) don't work if JavaScript is disabled. Previously, if JavaScript was off, the changelog, archived/additional files, and comments were displayed linearly below the description. Now, unless CSS is also disabled, those things just aren't shown at all.

Finally, I really, really, really hate when sites use dropdowns for everything under the sun, especially when it's not obvious what is a dropdown (for example, "Forums" is a dropdown, but "Help" is not, and there is no visual distinction between the two). I greatly preferred the old two-level navigation system, where you clicked on a tab to select an area of the site, and then chose a specific page from the horizontal menu that showed everything relevant to that area. It's especially annoying to accidentally move the mouse over something and have a menu pop up covering large areas of the screen; since I browse at 140-160% zoom (depending on how long I've already been staring at a screen today) it is indeed a fairly large area.
12-17-10, 08:57 PM   #25
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Looking closer at your browser your running in compatibly mode Duugu. IE your rendering like IE6.

Witch does let me know I have an ISSUE with the icons with IE6.
Ah. Yah. That's it. Damn browser thingi. ty
12-17-10, 09:22 PM   #26
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I hate to rain on the parade, but I'm not a fan.

The "light" theme is gone. The dark theme doesn't have quite enough contrast, and is really hard for me to read more than short phrases, even zoomed in.
Sign! (Sign, Sign because its too short)
12-17-10, 09:24 PM   #27
brotherhobbes
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
I'm missing this Updated Favorites widget that used to show on the community page. Wouldn't mind seeing that reappear!
12-17-10, 09:29 PM   #28
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by brotherhobbes View Post
I'm missing this Updated Favorites widget that used to show on the community page. Wouldn't mind seeing that reappear!
It's now under your name and will alert you with a (number) next to your name on the Nav bar.
12-17-10, 09:42 PM   #29
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
@Phanx Thanks for all your feedback. I'll go over it more as I have free time this weekend.
12-17-10, 09:52 PM   #30
Zhiva
A Defias Bandit
Is there an option to have full-width layout, not fixed width? Right now it takes less than half of my screen space.
12-17-10, 11:10 PM   #31
Veyska
A Kobold Labourer

Also chiming in with a request for add-on info to be less buried. At the very least version # and last updated visible on the surface would be wonderful. Otherwise no real complaints so far, looks nice though fixed-width will take some getting used to.

As well, the info in the File Info tab is loading off-center for me (left-aligned under the right edge of "File Info" instead of the left-edge of that section). Firefox, and I do run a bunch of mods including NoScript but the only domain listed for add-on pages that isn't enabled is Facebook and I sincerely doubt that's critical for functionality. Does work fine in whatever version of IE I've got and it's merely cosmetic, all the info's still there, but figured it was worth pointing out.

Edit - Ooh, I do like the addition of the Addon Comments link.
12-17-10, 11:13 PM   #32
ethanathaniel
A Defias Bandit
OMFG!!! This new layout is awesome. keep up the awesome work !
12-17-10, 11:17 PM   #33
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

So far, I really like it.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
12-17-10, 11:28 PM   #34
Mars85
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Looks nice.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Addon pages (and probably other pages) don't work if JavaScript is disabled. Previously, if JavaScript was off, the changelog, archived/additional files, and comments were displayed linearly below the description.
Yeah confirming, and adding that I liked this one-page-view :-)
12-18-10, 12:19 AM   #35
AmiYuy
A Fallenroot Satyr

I fully agree with Phanx on everything.

I was really shocked to go to a page and see the changes, and promptly had issues finding the information which used to be right at hand and what I consider to be the most important of all:
Version and last updated

Instead of just doing a text write-up, I took it into Photoshop to show how I'd re-organize the information and right hand sidebar to be more useful.

My version:

Currently looks like:

Changed areas:
1) Shifted Portal and Favorite button bars up above the ad.

2) Moved Version # onto the Download area.

3) Added Updated date to the Download area.

4) Changed "Tested: Safe" to a visual check mark and smaller text area.

5) Decreased size of "Download" and file size information.

6) Replaced the addon Version # with WoW version in text underneath the Cataclysm symbol for clarity.

I am also having the same issue as Veyska in Firefox 3.6.13.

Last edited by AmiYuy : 12-18-10 at 12:34 AM.
12-18-10, 12:56 AM   #36
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

As a designer I was looking forward to this, the old one was getting a bit ... stale.

This new one however, is AWESOME!

12-18-10, 02:22 AM   #37
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I like it. Very clean.

"The truth is like sunlight: people used to think it was good for you."
12-18-10, 03:04 AM   #38
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by sacrife View Post
the old one was getting a bit ... stale.
I was actually quite pleased that WoWI had stuck with the same design for so long.

Back when ui.worldofwar was actually in widespread use (circa 2005) they had a decent design; their redesign was an unmitigated disaster, and was probably the biggest reason for their downfall. Curse has always been fairly annoying usability-wise, but each time they've rolled out a new version of the site, it's been anything but an improvement.

The new WoWI design isn't that bad, but seems very generic overall. While addon pages are too sparse, the main page is really crowded, yet still somehow manages to give the impression of being mostly "filler".

Also, I didn't notice this before my last post, but I hate image popup scripts (eg. LightBox). Among other things, I can't use a mouse gesture or keyboard shortcut to close them or "go back" from them, as I can if a linked image opens in a new window or as a new page in the same window. In the specific implementation being used here, the "close" button isn't even available until the image finishes loading, and even if it were, it would be hard to click since it's moving with the "fade in and slide to full size" animation effects.

In the long run, the lightbox script won't affect me, since I've already added it to my browser's "blocked content" list, but I thought it was worth pointing out how much it annoys me, since I'm probably not the only one.
12-18-10, 03:44 AM   #39
WoWInterDude
A Kobold Labourer
I would really like to see the last date of an addon's update in the top right corner or next to addond's name (when i'm opening it) cause now i have to search it in the info.

OVerall love the new layout.
12-18-10, 04:00 AM   #40
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
After playing around with it a bit it's a little easier to navigate now that I'm used to it. However, I really, really still miss multiple screenshot thumbnails on the addon download page. It takes away a lot of the 'uniqueness' and I really don't think you can judge a UI based on one screenshot.

Is there any chance that could make a return, or is there a very good reason why it's gone?

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!