12-16-09, 02:22 PM   #1
Tithulta
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Looking to replace mouse....Question ???

Just curious what everyone else uses. It seem so mundane, yet very important to being able to game or even web surf.

I have several mice atm on other pc's...most would be "alright" replacements. Logitech lazer 3 button mouse, MS comfort optical 3000(4button), OLD intellimouse optical 5 button, unknown PoS 3 button optical

I can't seem to make my mind up on which mouse to replace a buggy PoS i found laying around after my old mouse died.(too many drinks spilled into it??!!)

Gotta love nephews...
12-16-09, 02:24 PM   #2
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

For most out-of-game tasks you can replace the mouse exclusively with the keyboard. Look into the Vimperator extension for Firefox and perhaps a different window manager if you're on Linux. There are also utilities which let you move and resize windows on OS X & Windows.

As for gaming, you'll obviously need some other special device. You could consider vertical mice and trackballs, both of which a friend of mine is looking into to help with wrist pain.

Oh, fail at me for completely reading this wrongly. Don't post when you're in an instance and waiting for someone to be ressed! I use an MX518 and have for years. It's not the most recent choice, but I love the thing. Also don't forget the importance of good mouse mats -- that is, not promotional ones you get for free.

Last edited by shkm : 12-16-09 at 02:36 PM.
12-16-09, 02:32 PM   #3
Kallieen
Lady of Shadows

I just got a new mouse a few weeks ago. I ended up going with a Logitech G500 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104318

I love it. Very awesome feel in my hand, tons of control over the sensitivity, and being able to weight tune it is awesome. I really really like it - it just 'fits' my hand perfectly. The USB cord is cloth-covered to, which is another plus. Less chance of damage from rubbing against edges or from curious pets.
12-16-09, 04:06 PM   #4
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
The mouse that has been declared "Best Gaming Mouse ever" more often than other mice is the Razer DeathAdder.

Based on many 100% reviews all praising the DeathAdder I decided to get it about a year ago.

It turns out all the reviews were right, the DeathAdder is probably the best Gaming Mouse ever made.
12-16-09, 04:30 PM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by shkm View Post
<snip>

I use an MX518 and have for years. It's not the most recent choice, but I love the thing. Also don't forget the importance of good mouse mats -- that is, not promotional ones you get for free.
I have an MX 518 on my iMac and like it a lot. (just browse with it)
My 'normal' everyday mouse is a G5, I love it. It has weights to customize comfort, easy to use buttons that are programmable, and on the fly speed settings (3).

I also agree about a good mouse pad. My wrist used to kill me after 10 hours or so at the computer, using small easy-to-get-dirty mouse pads; since I changed to my current rocketfish con+rol/SPEED pad it's much more comfortable. It's about 10" x 12", aluminum with a surface coating, and rubber 'grips' to keep it in place. I could go on and on about it, but you're probably already bored... I like it that much though. It did cost me about $25, though, and is the only con for me.
12-16-09, 10:47 PM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I use the mx518 as well and the same mouse pad Yhor uses. For the same reasons too. Most mats, even the "coated" ones will begin to flex and curl up after a time. The rocketfish aluminum one stays where you want it. It's double sided (one side has a slightly rougher texture, or the control side, than the other which is the speed side) and generous in size. Rocketfish is a best buy in-house brand so you'll have to head to one of their stores to check it out.

Ive used an mx518 for about 7 years now. Bought it when i picked up a computer 7 years ago, used it until it was dead (buttons were getting unreliable and the glide feet fell off) and replaced it with the "updated" version which is essentially identical with larger feet on it that don't get caught on every edge and get ripped off. Works well with addons like clique and so on as well.

Ive tired the hardcore gaming mice and while they are rather nice I personally didn't have a need for something like that. They seem rather overpriced just because of it being billed for gaming.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-16-09, 10:59 PM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I currently use a Logitech G5. The ability to change the weight is great for getting what feels best for you. You can change the sensitivity on the fly between 3 settings.

As far as a mouse pad ..well I don't use one. I have my desk covered in a clear plastic sheet (Contact Paper) that prevents wear on the desk. Works great and I'm not stuck to the dimensions of the pad. A little odd to not use a pad but it works for me. BUT stay away from any of those foam style pads .. they are never any good. I suggest one of the gaming aluminum styled pads.
12-17-09, 02:27 AM   #8
cykogoalie79
A Kobold Labourer
Razer Naga

I've got the Razer Naga...and LOVE it. The "trainer" stickers really make it quick and easy to use too. 12 buttons at the push of your thumb, and despite their small size they're surprisingly easy to use. There's also a WoW addon I have not yet tried, but I'm an addon minimalist. The price is a bit higher, but it IS a gaming mouse and is still cheaper than the actual WoW mouse. It doesn't feel cheap either, unlike the WoW mouse.
12-17-09, 04:01 AM   #9
Askelon
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Steel Series WOW gaming Mouse

I Use the Steel Series WOW Gaming Mouse...it has 12 programable buttons (all pre programed if you DL the software for WOW) it works great in and out of game it has scaleable DPI up to 5K it even has a glow effect that you can change the colors of. (I also recommend the Logictech G15 Gaming Keyboard, it is awesome smooth type quite keys compaired to most I have seen and 18 programable macro keys)
12-17-09, 06:08 AM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I use a Logitech G5. My roommate has one of those Razer ones, and I absolutely cannot stand that thing lol.

Honestly, I recommend going to the store and checking them all (the higher end gaming ones) out. Everyone's hands are shaped differently, so you'll know when you've found the right one because it will feel very natural in your hand.

Last edited by Petrah : 12-17-09 at 06:12 AM.
12-17-09, 03:10 PM   #11
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I also use Razer's Naga (17 button). I upgraded from their Habu (5 button) and the response and accuracy is incredible. So far I'm using only 7 of the additional 12 buttons.
12-17-09, 06:00 PM   #12
Amenity
Originally Posted by Askelon View Post
I Use the Steel Series WOW Gaming Mouse...it has 12 programable buttons (all pre programed if you DL the software for WOW) it works great in and out of game it has scaleable DPI up to 5K it even has a glow effect that you can change the colors of. (I also recommend the Logictech G15 Gaming Keyboard, it is awesome smooth type quite keys compaired to most I have seen and 18 programable macro keys)
Yeah, what he said:

I have the old-style G15, but my screen broke so I removed it. It's basically a G13 now.

And I couldn't live without my FANG. Mine's from back before Steelseries bought out Ideazon.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Looking to replace mouse....Question ???