Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
10-18-20, 09:12 AM   #1
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A potential opportunity? (@Dolby)

Disclaimer: I've no experience with OW myself.

With OW taking over CF, there's a lot of chatter about dropping CF altogether (some people really hate OW). I'm not sure what sort of resources you all have, but it may present an opportunity to increase traffic, etc, here.

Authors and users need a centralized hub to host and download add-ons that's reliable and trustworthy. Currently, there are some third-party add-on managers that are scraping, etc, which is great for users but not so much for hosts (including WoWI) and authors.

If a system were implemented similar to NexusMods, where the site uses a combination of non-intrusive ads and download restrictions to encourage subscriptions that remove the ads and restrictions, that would help cover the overhead of the service. Additionally, third-party managers would be given authenticated API access based on community reviews (to keep out the riff-raff) and they would have to require users to login so that the aforementioned download restrictions would apply when using such a manager. (Similar to how ModOrganizer works).

As I mentioned, I'm not sure what resources you all have or if it's feasible on your end, but I thought I'd mention it just the same. Though, you'd have to stop beating this dead vBulletin horse.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » A potential opportunity? (@Dolby)