01-10-11, 06:35 PM   #1
pahina22
A Kobold Labourer
Problem with Aloft, looking for a replacement

One of the nice features of this mod is that it lets you hide nameplates of player pets, not important totems, and things like mirror images/snake traps.

But...this mod also has a huge flaw. It will only let you hide these things when out of combat, as soon as you get in combat it shows all pet nameplates, totems, and images/snakes. Personally to me this makes no sense since the majority of the time when PvPing you are in combat.

Anyone know of another nameplate mod that offers similar features but does not reset them back to default the second you get in combat?

Or is there something that I can do to make this not happen anymore? The fact that is resets my options when I get in combat is just completely idiotic
01-10-11, 07:43 PM   #2
Akkorian
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi pahina22,

Nameplates are secure frames, just like action buttons and unit frames, so it’s not possible for an addon to hide them based on arbitrary conditions like the type of unit they’re showing. Aloft (probably) isn’t actually resetting your settings when you enter combat, but just can’t apply them while you’re in combat due to Blizzard’s restrictions. This would affect any other addon, too.
01-10-11, 08:06 PM   #3
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

you might also just want to take a closer look at your both your Aloft and your Blizzard Interface -> Names settings.

In Aloft, check both in the Visibility and in the Show Enemy/Neutral Name Plates sections.

Or perhaps I'm not understanding your issue, as I'm not having the issues you describe.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
01-10-11, 09:55 PM   #4
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
edit: just updated the relevant FAQ entry. it was indeed out of date. i should probably review all of them, now that Cataclysm is out.

edit: as well, i updated the bugs these users filed earlier.

Originally Posted by pahina22 View Post
But...this mod also has a huge flaw. It will only let you hide these things when out of combat, as soon as you get in combat it shows all pet nameplates, totems, and images/snakes. Personally to me this makes no sense since the majority of the time when PvPing you are in combat.
Blizzard doesn't allow hiding individual nameplates in combat (same for disabling the mouse and a couple of other basic things; all of it is precluded by the Blizzard UI).

the workaround is to set nameplate alpha to zero (0) on individual nameplates. Blizzard (currently) allows this. the nameplates are still "there", and can interfere with click-through in certain circumstances, but they are indeed not visible.

Aloft's "Visibility" options offer settings for "hiding" via nameplate alpha. however, you need to enable the AloftAlpha module in order to access those Visibility settings (and for them to take effect).

sorry for the confusion. i remember working with the users several months ago on these issues, but this might not be obvious to more recent users (i should probably enhance the Aloft FAQ on this, if i have not already).

hope that helps.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"

Last edited by acapela : 01-10-11 at 10:10 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Problem with Aloft, looking for a replacement