12-13-08, 11:10 PM   #1
Chelle
A Murloc Raider

Pitbull vs. AG UnitFrames

Hello-

I apologize if this topic is silly, for starters. But I wanted a bit more feedback regarding these two addons, Pitbull and AG UnitFrames.

I currently use Pitbull, and I'm alright with it. I used AGUF quite awhile ago and swapped to Pitbull mainly because it seemed more aesthetically pleasing, and there was some functionalities that it had that I liked.

Anyway, some folks in my guild & other friends are telling me that AGUF looks the same as Pitbull now, but is lighter and not as difficult to set up. Lighter, that might be nice, but setting up isn't really a problem since I already.. have Pitbull set up.

I just wanted more opinions about this and see if I should consider swapping back, if it would be worth it.

Thanks.
12-14-08, 12:32 AM   #2
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Honestly I couldn't tell you the difference but I used to use AGUF awhile back as well and have since switched to pitbull as well. Personally I don't see a reason to switch for two reasons:

I have pitbull set up the way I want it and don't feel like mucking about with something I would have to set up when what I have works fine already.

And finally Pitbull does exactly what I want it to and doesn't seem to be too heavy on resources.

I would say to you stick with what you feel more comfortable with. Sadly I know this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for but figured it might be of some use as I have had people tell me that this addon is better than the one I was using and have swapped through many many of the big addons in the time I've been playing WoW and honestly when it comes down to it just use whatever you like/feel comfortable with. I doubt there is much of a difference between the two other than a few minor things that probably aren't that big of deal, like I said its been quite awhile since I have used AG Unit Frames. Anyways I tend to enter off topic zones if I don't cut myself short.
12-14-08, 12:48 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
With the mod ag_pimpster you have more flexibility in the layout and set up of agUF. So you can get basically the same looks as in pitbull. When it comes to the texts though id have to give the decision in favor of pitbull. The dog-tag system allows from some pretty amazing things.

Set up wise its hard to say since im use to both of them and have my pet peeves in both directions.

I havent personally tried each one with no other mods running to see the overall difference in performance. Though ill be doing so tonight.

In the end its all personal preference. try them both out. Hell you can even run them at the same time on a new toon just to see which you like more. I recommedna new toon just so you dont mess with the set ups on existing ones and can try really tweaking them. I do this on my bank alts where i do most of my ui Building.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-14-08, 06:23 AM   #4
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

If you'd like lite unit frames, you might want to try oUF. It comes at the cost of being the most difficult of the three to setup, with the benefit of the most flexibility.
12-14-08, 07:17 PM   #5
Chelle
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Miralen View Post

I have pitbull set up the way I want it and don't feel like mucking about with something I would have to set up when what I have works fine already.

I think this pretty much sums it up. It seems to be personal preference and I'd really rather not fix something that isn't broken, I was just wondering if there was something phenomenal about AGUF that I was missing; until it feeds my cats in the morning and makes me coffee, I think I'll stick with Pitbull.
12-14-08, 07:48 PM   #6
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
I think this pretty much sums it up. It seems to be personal preference and I'd really rather not fix something that isn't broken, I was just wondering if there was something phenomenal about AGUF that I was missing; until it feeds my cats in the morning and makes me coffee, I think I'll stick with Pitbull.
The main difference between the 2 is that AGUF is lighter, and Pitbull is more customizable. That is the only difference, you can achieve about the same thing on a pure cosmetic note, but Pitbull has a few more features, including Dogtag, which is extremely valuable.
12-14-08, 10:34 PM   #7
Farook
A Molten Giant

I've been using Pitbull for quiet some time, but recently had to switch (back) to agUF because I ran into this Memory Allocation Problem with Pitbull/CowTip/Rock. Apart from that, I'd say it's just a matter of personal preferences. They both do what they are supposed to do, and after a short time you get used to set them up both.
12-30-08, 09:35 PM   #8
Chelle
A Murloc Raider

I'm not usually one to necro my own thread, but I've just now started having a problem with Pitbull.

The past few weeks I've been playing around with my UI, and I'm still unhappy with it. But I have to maintain something that works for now during raids. (Til I can find a day or two off work where I can really tear it apart). However, Pitbull continually drops my focus target repeatedly. Someone suggested it might be range, but it would drop when I was right next to my focus, so it does not seem to be range.

That being said it seems so random that I am having trouble trial and erroring the problem. My own guess is to start turning off addons to see if there's a conflict, but I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if anyone has any suggestions about where to start.

Thanks.
12-31-08, 11:14 PM   #9
Farook
A Molten Giant

There's a new Pitbull-Project (Pitbull4) in beta status available on wowace.com. Maybe it has this problem fixed already.

Unfortunately I can't tell you, because I didn't try that release by now.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Pitbull vs. AG UnitFrames