05-27-09, 05:05 AM   #1
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

Minion installing Addons I don't use

so i kinda sorta just dove right in, only did a once-over before i hit update all, and i ended up with the following installed:

Afterlife
Broker_CT
DBM
Emalon_Tempest_Marker
ExtendedUF
GuildRoster
Healbot
HunterEmote
TradeExport

i don't use any of these /shrug

Last edited by khurzog : 05-30-09 at 12:55 AM.
05-27-09, 08:29 AM   #2
Tereon
A Murloc Raider

I've been experiencing similar behavior... Minion installed AceGUI, GuildInventory, StatusWindows and a few others I can't recall anymore. It also installed Deadly Boss Mods which I have never used before; at least, it installed the modules - but not the core. Very odd.

I backed up my old addons directory, so I'll restore that and try again and see if I can identify why he's installing those.

One reason may be that I'm using versions without embedded libraries from the Curse updater... maybe a few of the libs cause Minion to get confused?

By the way, you (the OP) might want to change the thread title to something a little more exact... like "Minion installing Addons I don't use" or something like that. ;-)

Last edited by Tereon : 05-27-09 at 08:32 AM.
05-27-09, 08:42 AM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would need to see your log file to see where it's coming up with these items. I won't be able to tell you where this is until you give me your OS.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-27-09, 08:52 AM   #4
Tereon
A Murloc Raider

I'm running Windows 7.

I'll restore my backup, update again and then I can supply you with the log.
05-27-09, 09:09 AM   #5
Tereon
A Murloc Raider

Okay, I got the log file and also some directory listings before and after the update.

See the attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: txt before.txt (2.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: txt after.txt (2.2 KB, 240 views)
File Type: txt log.txt (105.6 KB, 256 views)
05-27-09, 09:12 AM   #6
Rosalyne
A Defias Bandit
I'm running OSX 10.4.11 and Minion also installed a bunch of addons I didn't ask it to.

AmDead
BetterInbox
Cryolysis2*
Gatherer
Gatherer_HUD
HealBot
LunarSphere*
LunarSphereExporter
LunarSphereImports
MiniTrinketMenu
MobInfo2*
Peggle
Reflux*
TitanHealBot

Asheru reminded me, I was going to mention that a few of these are addons that I have used in the past. I marked those ones with a *.

Considering I already use a lot of addons, that is a lot more to be added when I don't want/need them. I'll be happy to send you a copy of the log, but I don't know how.

Another edit: I use Chatter as a chat mod, and it has not been updated on WowInterface for a very long time, so for some reason, Minion rolled it back to the version on WowI, which made it not work. I had to go manually download the newest version again from Curse.

Last edited by Rosalyne : 05-27-09 at 09:27 AM.
05-27-09, 09:18 AM   #7
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Did you ever used to use those addons at all I had like 3 update that I haven't used in forever and on inspection of my WTF folder found that the 3 were still in there as saved variables.
05-27-09, 09:19 AM   #8
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Spooky that was a problem that come up with the Curse Client beta ....
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-27-09, 10:19 AM   #9
Daelic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm noticing something that could be the culprit in this...

it's probably not that the minion is randomly installing addons on its own, it's probably just mis-identifying the addons you do have.

For example, I use an addon called Ammo-matique which I download from curse.

The minion picked up ammo-matique, and correctly identifies it in the UI, however when i select "More Info" it takes me to oUF Ammo which is something entirely different.

Edit: Just noticed that my MainAssist addon points to Ace2. lol

Last edited by Daelic : 05-27-09 at 10:30 AM.
05-27-09, 11:24 AM   #10
Sythalin
Curse staff

Same issue with installing "ghost" mods.

For me it was:
Afterlife
Broker_CT
05-27-09, 12:25 PM   #11
syrupk
A Cliff Giant

So far I've noticed WIM, which I've never used. Not sure if there is more.

Edit:
Broker_Recount
nUI Aura buttons

This is odd to me. That's from updating addons one at a time. I really don't want to see it install something like DBM and overwrite my custom stuff. I still love it though.

Last edited by syrupk : 05-27-09 at 12:32 PM.
05-27-09, 12:51 PM   #12
klamb213
Banned

AmDead was installed for me too.

I managed to find one of them.

i have Call Of Elements: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...continued.aspx installed but the minion thinks that it is Mafariun's Elements Mover: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...mentsMover.htm

The minion is also thinking that Addon Control Panel is Afterlife Crowd Control

so if you install Addon Control Panel from curse you can reproduce the Afterlife thing just by updating it.

When you install the ned Dr.damage on curse the minion thinks that its just Ace2.

Last edited by klamb213 : 05-27-09 at 01:07 PM.
05-27-09, 12:55 PM   #13
syrupk
A Cliff Giant

I updated omni and didn't have an issue with that one.
05-27-09, 01:06 PM   #14
klamb213
Banned

Originally Posted by syrupk View Post
I updated omni and didn't have an issue with that one.
oops that is correct.

Addon control pannel is being confused with Afterlife.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...tails/acp.aspx
05-27-09, 01:45 PM   #15
nemof
A Fallenroot Satyr
hah. I just did an update all and have have miiiiiilllions of addons i've never used before that seemed to install them selves just for ****s and giggles. Major major bug!

Kinda funny if my whole UI wasn't completely fubared! oh well my own fault for trusting beta software!

I just counted and it installed around 7-10 addons that I didn't ask it to install (and it broke a few addons too!).

Last edited by nemof : 05-27-09 at 01:54 PM.
05-27-09, 01:54 PM   #16
Terranell
Premium Member
Premium Member
Just to add that I'm experiencing the same, lots of addons, whilst listed correctly are directing to different addon download pages when asking for more info on them (not used minion to download yet as I want to go through the whole list and back up things first). As far as i can tell it seems that the addons are being searched for and a closely named addon is chosen instead if the original doesn't exist, ie Baggins directs to Baggins Scrap, bulkmail inbox directs to Better Inbox, some that have no near named addons just jump to the front page when you ask for more info and addons with ace 2 in the name, give you the ace 2 page.

This is listed on the bug tracker a few times for individual addons, and at least once in reference to it affecting quite a few so hopefully it'll be looked at very soon.
05-27-09, 01:58 PM   #17
nemof
A Fallenroot Satyr
If it really is choosing closest match, I would recommend prompting the user as to whether they want to install the addon it's found, or disregard it.
05-27-09, 06:04 PM   #18
wanderingDrummer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Same thing I got:
Ace2
Align
Amdead

They aren't showing up in the list in MMOUI Minion though, but they are in the addons folder.

I backed up the addons folder before I started and a quick scan everything else seems to line up

Log attached (but I didn't see reference to any of them in the log)

PS. looks/works great so far otherwise!! Keep up the good work I love it so far!!

##EDIT ADD##
deleted config file started again and installed addons one at a time and watched to see which added the ones above

ACE2 was from Buffalo
Align and amdead were from Lib: Ace3
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (92.4 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by wanderingDrummer : 05-27-09 at 07:01 PM.
05-27-09, 06:41 PM   #19
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Repost form another thread.

The very first time I ran Minion I had a big issue with MANY addon's being mistagged and updated to a different addon.

Quick list of the addons that were unintentionally installed.
  • Ace2
  • Blizz_ThreatMeter
  • Broker_CT
  • BigWigs & Little Wigs (I had these installed already, but the Minion installed some really old version)
  • DerAssistHelper
  • RoguePvPCalc
  • SimpleRunesBar
  • TitanHealBot
  • TitanMobMap
  • TitanRecZone

As for TitanRecZone, I have Broker_RecZone so that may be the confusion there, I do also have MobMap and healbot installed as well, so perhaps that's why it also installed Titan plugin's for those, problem being I don't use TitanBar. I only have one CT based mod which is CT_Mail, so perhaps that's why it installed Broker_CT.

But as for the rest I have no idea which mods it may have mistagged and downloaded those. *shrug*

I should note that this only happened on the FIRST launch, when I realized what had happened I loaded my backup, and tried minion again and it did NOT install the wrong addons, but all aside from one addon it says is up to date, which could very well be true, but I thought that to be strange.

All in all I like the direction this project is going. Keep up the good work!
05-27-09, 07:19 PM   #20
w01ph
A Defias Bandit
Due to the issue of mis-identifying addons, I have a couple suggestions for future releases. First, and one I know that has been suggested before, the current installed version should be shown alongside the latest version available from the site. Second (and I may be asking for a bit of flamage here), I would like to see the 'news' section in the lower left, be changed to show addon info direct from it's page, similar to the way the curse client works. Having it show general news on open is fine, but would be EXTREMELY nice and beneficial to have more info available without having to go back and forth between browser and client.

All in all, it looks great, installed without an issue for me, and other than having to be careful at this time about which addons get updated, ie cannot update all safely, it looks to have the potential to be the true answer to wm, as long as other sites provide modules as well.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Minion installing Addons I don't use