12-18-13, 09:24 AM   #101
Nadiah
A Kobold Labourer
reply to all thats going on about nUI and scott

I am not an addon creator, however I know how to code, I am just too lazy to do it.
People that create the addons, put their spare time in it, should not got abusive comments as a reward, besides the issue thats playing now, I have seen comments in other addons as well, where people expected to get immediate support, immediate changes. The moment the FREE addon is uploaded, there are people that seem to think it entitles them to first class support, as if the authors have nothing else to do than sit at home and dedicate every minute to it. Now we have an issue in which an author asked for some attention to this charity he believes in, nothing more nothing less, and in response he got loads of hate mails. At that point there was no mention of restricting access to nUI or support. I was honestly shocked to hear people in our community were so short sighted that only the request to look at it and consider donation called that behavior out of them. As far as I been kept updated, nUI stays free, updates stay available as well support, but its restricted. The restrictions as mentioned are not at all unreasonable. Yes there is an option to donate, but there are also referral options or taking the effort of sending the author a personal email requesting access. I don't see any harm in that. Giving something created away for free is one thing, but being obliged to just hand it to people that look so down on you that they feel the need to call you names is in my opinion ridiculous.

I feel sorry for Scott, he had so many good intentions which in the end led to all this drama.
I think its a shame that WoWI felt the need to get themselves involved the way they did.
When Scott addressed the community that left him out in the cold, I did not feel he addressed the people that not contributed money, but the people that felt the need to insult him and/or his cause, so asking him to apologize to those is even a greater insult imo.

There is a lot more to say about this but for me these are my two pennies to the matter.
One thing I like to add, all hail to the addon authors that make it for so many people possible to play the game on a higher level than they would if they had to use the standard blizz interface. Thank you all for all the time and effort you put in this something ungrateful work. Just know, against every one negative person, there is a boat load of people that do appreciate you and are grateful for the work you do.
12-18-13, 11:14 AM   #102
Tumes
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by TheWafflian View Post
The policy isn't a violation of rights
The policy isn't, no. It's enforcement is - in my opinion - and I think that would be well worth the time in court to run down. If the courts agree with your viewpoint, so be it. If they agree with mine, even better. Certainly, if I had the financial means to do so, I would file a suit.

You've got to take a moment to see this discussion from the larger stage (because a court sure would). If you applied your reasoning to another piece of software, let's say an operating system, what would be the ramifications?

This is larger than just Blizzard, and I just don't think that the justifications used by Blizzard would hold up if applied to other extensible software.

Let's agree to disagree, though, and part as friends.

Fair?
12-20-13, 07:18 AM   #103
WoWuser2472
A Defias Bandit
reply to this nonsense

I am just adding to the conversation but wanted to to throw in my two sense about this drivel .... any and all who were and are attacking Scott u are flatly wrong to do that. Now Ill point out several reasons why that may or may not already have been said ...
firstly its his creation to do with as he sees fit and its BS to think that he should give it to u for free and support it for free and take your crap for free
second he has done this for a long time and only asks for donations which quite frankly almost every addon does
third and this is the real kicker imo ... so u all think he is making everyone pay for his addon and that he is ripping people off and what not well here chew on this ..... I have nvr paid for his addon I have been using his addon for sometime I would pay for it if I had extra money too but ive had access to it and will continue to have access to it because and hope you all who were attacking him listen to this part there are several ways to get access to it that do not in any way cost a damn cent!!!!!!
so ive got no idea if I missed some comments here and there that covered this but after reading as many straight ignorant comments as I did I skipped to replying so maybe some of u could get it straight
The man is well within his rights and people should be standing up for him not talking down to him a community this toxic will only get better by people taking a stand support those that do and eventually the jerks will move on to a diff game or maybe they will learn who knows , but don't condemn those for taking a stand and worst don't condemn one for what many do its not right.
12-20-13, 10:38 AM   #104
Eystill
A Murloc Raider
nUI does not cost money. It never has, and it never will. I am not entirely sure which part of the word "free" that seems unclear.

I feel like these threads are degrading into mud throwing. It's sad to se how people seem to think it inappropriate that someone stands up and says "enough is enough".

*shrug*
12-30-13, 07:45 AM   #105
priestsjaak
A Murloc Raider
whats free

Nothing is in WoW.
You pay to play the game for a monthly $15, you will get for that the "wonderfull" UI that Blizz has designed.
Now you want to add something to that so that it will enhance your gameplay and expect it to come for free...

Get real...if you have played WoW since early days you have spend probably thousands of dollars on the game, what is the few bucks OR effort that Scott asks for one of the best UIs around in this game?
Shoot me for that, but Scott has my blessings on his opinion. Actually Blizzard should offer these guys a medal and preferably a fee for supporting their game.
(How many things are already embedded ingame throughout the years that came forward from addons and thus coders like Scott?)

WoW is entertainment (and a relatively cheap hobby if you play it much).

If you dont want to support Scott in any way (financially or by supporting him) why dont you just play with your nice setup that Blizz gave you and you are paying the 15 bucks for?

Oh, one more thing...
Check how many are using the addon OQ (O Queue) or google it as you will not find it in known support.
On our EU realms it is commonly used to bypass the ingame queueing system for doing flexraids and rbg's.
If that addon isnt coded to bypass Blizzard's rules...
Yet they prefer to b**ch on addons that are there for years already and quite innocent ones...
@Blizzard: focus on the real deal and do something about things that really influence the gameplay...and put effort into enhancing the game and help coders instead of spitting at them!

my 5c...

keep up the good work Scott and goodluck on your work to preserve our forrests !
At least trees do not spit at you

Last edited by priestsjaak : 12-30-13 at 07:52 AM. Reason: text
02-15-14, 06:12 PM   #106
Kithhurrn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by priestsjaak View Post
Nothing is in WoW.
You pay to play the game for a monthly $15, you will get for that the "wonderfull" UI that Blizz has designed.

<snip>

If you dont want to support Scott in any way (financially or by supporting him) why dont you just play with your nice setup that Blizz gave you and you are paying the 15 bucks for?

Oh, one more thing...
Check how many are using the addon OQ (O Queue) or google it as you will not find it in known support.
On our EU realms it is commonly used to bypass the ingame queueing system for doing flexraids and rbg's.
If that addon isnt coded to bypass Blizzard's rules...
Yet they prefer to b**ch on addons that are there for years already and quite innocent ones...
@Blizzard: focus on the real deal and do something about things that really influence the gameplay...and put effort into enhancing the game and help coders instead of spitting at them!
Well stated and accurate. I realize I'm a bit late but have been rather out of touch for a while. From what I'm seeing just in this thread Scott has very valid reasons to not want to feed troll's entitlement attitudes. Basically if you do something positive to support the community, either in game or in the world at large, you're golden. That support doesn't have to be in the form of real money but if you choose to donate cash it doesn't require breaking the piggy bank. And since there is no donation solicitation built into the addon, as is the case for oQueue, I can't see that Scott's solution is really breaking Blizzard's 'rules'. Especially since oQueue still has the 'send beer' button in it's addon over 6 months after Blizzard warned them to remove it. That button is a blatant violation of Blizzards terms.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » Letter to Blizzard - December 5th