03-21-16, 01:36 PM   #1
Skullfuc
A Murloc Raider
Pixelfonts and chat

e chat
Hello,

I'm trying to get a 8px pixelfont in my chat. I'm currently using prat, not that it absolutely has be this addon, as long as it fits my needs I'm happy . The problem is that the text gets all squished up with the pixelfont.

So my question is: can I change the linespacing for the chat some how? preferably in some global way (lotta alts )?

Thanks in advance

A few examples of what I'm after

http://www.wowuigallery.com/topic/xzim-ui-v2
http://www.wowuigallery.com/topic/hope-ui-3

Thanks in advance
03-21-16, 02:18 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There isn't a way to directly change the line spacing of a ChatFrame. This either needs to be embedded in the font itself or perhaps using embedded textures to utilize a quirk as shown in the HopeUI screenshot posted.
03-21-16, 02:43 PM   #3
Skullfuc
A Murloc Raider
Dang..

Ah well thanks for the clarification . Guess I'm gonna hunt for a font with the attributes I'm looking for then.
03-21-16, 03:16 PM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Can you post a screenshot of what your font is doing that you don't want it to do, as well as what font you're using?

Line spacing refers to the amount of space between lines (vertically), but it sounds like you're talking about letter spacing.

Last edited by semlar : 03-21-16 at 03:20 PM.
03-22-16, 01:14 PM   #5
Skullfuc
A Murloc Raider
Hey

It is the vertical spacing between the lines I'm refering to. And heres how it looks with the font i would like to use if possible .

The name of the font is semplice regular.

As you can see it's all bunched up. The distance between the letters horizontally (sp?) is fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chatpic.PNG
Views:	257
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	8703  
03-22-16, 02:24 PM   #6
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Vertical spacing can be changed using something like DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:SetSpacing(4); unfortunately I think this only affects the spacing within each font string in the message frame, rather than the space between each font string, so it will only add space to lines that wrap around.

What you'll likely have to do is re-anchor each font string inside the chat frame to put some space between them, and then manually hide any messages that get pushed out of the frame when a new one is added or the frame is resized, although it might be possible to put them in a scrollframe instead.
03-22-16, 02:39 PM   #7
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Digging around some, I found ChatFrame:SetSpacing(). While it does adjust the line spacing of any FontInstance-based object, it causes a bug with embedded textures in which the offset to their vertical position imposed by line spacing isn't being applied.

Another solution is that it has been mentioned HopeUI you linked earlier uses Supernatural1001 as the font for its ChatFrame. I tested the font myself and it seems to work without any "overhang".

Last edited by SDPhantom : 03-22-16 at 02:41 PM.
03-22-16, 04:26 PM   #8
Skullfuc
A Murloc Raider
Well okay then.. Now everything works and I've learned something .

Here's what I ended up with by using "ChatFrame:SetSpacing(4)" and "ChatFrame1:SetShadowOffset(0, 0)".

So, thank you so much for your help, you guys are awesome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chatpic1.PNG
Views:	243
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	8704  

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Pixelfonts and chat