09-23-07, 11:24 AM   #1
Atrocty
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Leveling Guide

Hi guys,

What do you think about adding this Addon for newbs (or pros as well, it's optimize your leveling)
--link removed--
It is Joana's Guide as an Addon for WoW.
The site is on german, but the addon on english.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Dolby : 09-23-07 at 08:32 PM.
09-23-07, 12:24 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Got a few reports from people that this post was spam/spywarer. Looking at the site it just looks like they have a ton of advertisements but the guides/links are free to any one that signs up.

Plus Atrocty other posts arent spam so its a genuine request.
09-23-07, 01:17 PM   #3
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Joana's guide is not free in the first place, so the download are not legitimate. Then I will not go through the LUA code to see whether it is clean or not...
09-23-07, 02:15 PM   #4
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

That mod appears to just display the text of the guide in-game, so aye, big copyright violation there.

I am working on an addon that does a lot more than just show copyrighted guide text, keep on the lookout for TourGuide sometime in the future.
09-23-07, 04:22 PM   #5
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

can't wait for TourGuide then ^_^
09-23-07, 10:18 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We have removed the link, but I ask that you not jump all over the OP as you notice that they were merely asking what people thought about it, not actually advertising for it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-23-07, 11:16 PM   #7
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Cairenn
We have removed the link, but I ask that you not jump all over the OP as you notice that they were merely asking what people thought about it, not actually advertising for it.
That is why there is a "Report Bad Post" button that should always be used instead of replying to the OP. Then it is easier for you guys to sort it all behind the scene between what is legitimate or not

(PS: And in this case no later than 2 or 3 days ago there was a very similar post about the same guide which linked to the same sort of websites with downloads from the exact same mirrors that were actual KeyLoggers. There was a couple of replies but the post was deleted shortly after. Also the OP may always be genuine but still tricked by the links. This is just a coincidence then, better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks for keeping the forums clean )
09-24-07, 12:12 AM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Kaomie
That is why there is a "Report Bad Post" button that should always be used instead of replying to the OP. Then it is easier for you guys to sort it all behind the scene between what is legitimate or not
Indeed.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-24-07, 06:00 AM   #9
Atrocty
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Mhhhh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that it is illegal.
But on the site there are other Guide-Addons as well, should I put just the direct downlaod link for it?
And again, sorry, but someone in my guild posted this in our forum, and I thought it's very cool ...
09-24-07, 09:21 AM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Atrocty
Mhhhh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that it is illegal.
But on the site there are other Guide-Addons as well, should I put just the direct downlaod link for it?
And again, sorry, but someone in my guild posted this in our forum, and I thought it's very cool ...
PM the admins with the links first and they can verify they are legit. However going from past history, most of the links on that site are dodgy at best. You are better off checking Curse, WoW.Incgamers or the official WoW forums, there are tons of links to legit (and free) leveling guides.

The official WoW guides forms are here:http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...Id=69355&sid=1

A legit series guides that I use are found at WoW-Pro.com (deliberate non clickable link, can be made clickable if the admins approve). This is a community (not commercial) site that specializes in guides.

For "powerleveling" trades this guide on the WoW EU forums: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....13121383&sid=1 is great for grinding up trades.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Leveling Guide