03-09-10, 01:03 PM   #1
g5pwnage
A Defias Bandit
Thanks For a Great App

I just want to give a shout out to all of the devs working on the MMOUI Minion application. Thanks for a superb app: it's well designed, lightweight, and includes all of the features that have been in desperate need since the beginning of the addon community.

I do however have a gripe or two.

1) Where are all of the promised modules?
I know Curse was supposed to be working in tandem with you guys on this project, as a potential alternative to their addon manager. Where is it? Do you have plans for other modules that do cool things (maybe a WWS or WoL plug-in)? Please disregard if I'm acting dumb (I haven't found anything in my searches).

2) Would it be possible to have an addon installer for addons downloaded from other sites? Maybe have a config file that you can modify and insert into the addon folder, to tell it where to put things? I find myself having to (not often) go to other sites (curse mostly) to download other addons. It would be nice if I could just insert them into the game with your application. Is this possible?

3) slightly off topic: Do you guys do any quality control on your hosted addons (malware scanning, for example)?

Beyond those (very minor) gripes and concerns, I love your app. Please continue the excellent work. I look forward to the full RTM (RC?) version. Incidentally, any word on an ETA for a full release?

Last edited by g5pwnage : 03-09-10 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added some additional questions
03-09-10, 04:14 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by g5pwnage View Post
1) Where are all of the promised modules?
I know Curse was supposed to be working in tandem with you guys on this project, as a potential alternative to their addon manager. Where is it? Do you have plans for other modules that do cool things (maybe a WWS or WoL plug-in)? Please disregard if I'm acting dumb (I haven't found anything in my searches).
We didn't promise to make modules, per se. At least not modules for other sites. We opened up the API for *them* to make the modules. If Curse wants a module, they need to write it - we are here for assistance if needed, however. We can't, and do not wish to, write a module for them that bypasses what they have in place and uses their bandwidth without compensating them for it.

2) Would it be possible to have an addon installer for addons downloaded from other sites? Maybe have a config file that you can modify and insert into the addon folder, to tell it where to put things? I find myself having to (not often) go to other sites (curse mostly) to download other addons. It would be nice if I could just insert them into the game with your application. Is this possible?
Please see number 1. (We don't wish to turn into another Wowmatrix, pulling from other sites without their consent and using their bandwidth - akin to stealing their cable.)

3) slightly off topic: Do you guys do any quality control on your hosted addons (malware scanning, for example)?
We certainly do. Every uploaded addon waits in a queue to be manually viewed, scanned, and approved. Depending on the time it was uploaded, and who is available, it may take several hours for an addon to be available for download. Here's our FAQ on uploading files if you wish for more info. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...ing#faq_upload

Shirik, when he is available, can answer more about the Minion client itself.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-09-10, 06:53 PM   #3
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
We certainly do. Every uploaded addon waits in a queue to be manually viewed, scanned, and approved.
Reason enough to love this website, but then comes in the community and just makes it awesome, err, awesome-r. WoWInterface for life!

(Attachment related.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mega-icon-smiley-thumbs-up.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	4082  

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Thanks For a Great App