Quantcast
Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away! - Page 49 - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
08-04-10, 03:16 PM   #961
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by eThuz View Post
My connection speed is 3.5 Mb/s, and it's not that slow (by comparison).
Optus in AU get to 8Mb/s, but I haven't heard of any 1MB/s connections
If I'm not mistaken but I thought 8Mb = 1 MB (8 megabits = 1 megabyte)?

I have a 16mb/s (20Mb/s when it uses powerboost) connection through Comcast. My newsreader maxes that line. It shows download speeds in Mb and MB. When maxed it says 16Mbps / 2MBps.

The lowest Comcast offers for their internet is 12Mbps which would meet the 1MB requirement that Blizz is saying.

Last edited by Sepioth : 08-04-10 at 03:22 PM.
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 03:32 PM   #962
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian
 
Nefrirr's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
If I'm not mistaken but I thought 8Mb = 1 MB (8 megabits = 1 megabyte)?
Indeed. Since 8 bit = 1 byte (at least in ISO standards), 1 Megabyte = 10^6 byte and 1 Megabit = 10^6 bit, your reasoning is totally sound.

Damn, we have come a long way since the C64 era of 64 kB RAM...
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 03:43 PM   #963
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by Nefrirr View Post
Indeed. Since 8 bit = 1 byte (at least in ISO standards), 1 Megabyte = 10^6 byte and 1 Megabit = 10^6 bit, your reasoning is totally sound.

Damn, we have come a long way since the C64 era of 64 kB RAM...
Hehe .. you aint kiding ...

I still remember the old BBS days ... firing up my old 1200 baud modem on my Tandy 1000 EX. Used to love playing all the Sierra classics. Rogue was a favorite too.

Last edited by Sepioth : 08-04-10 at 03:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 04:00 PM   #964
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian
 
Nefrirr's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I still remember the old BBS days ...
Good ol' days where BASIC was still BASIC, programmers could read machine code and each program was a space efficient, unreadable mess. Not like those kids today with their object orientation, their design patterns and their whatnots...

Seriously, though. I think we are derailing this thread with our nasty off-topic discussions. Remember that the true intention of this thread was to uncover the horrible conspiracies of the WoW Interface administration. The people need to know!
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 04:16 PM   #965
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant
 
WyriHaximus's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by Nefrirr View Post
Good ol' days where BASIC was still BASIC, programmers could read machine code and each program was a space efficient, unreadable mess. Not like those kids today with their object orientation, their design patterns and their whatnots...

Seriously, though. I think we are derailing this thread with our nasty off-topic discussions. Remember that the true intention of this thread was to uncover the horrible conspiracies of the WoW Interface administration. The people need to know!
Yeah have to give you that altho the code was a mess it was efficient, small and fast mainly cause of the hardware limitations. Tho I have to admit OO, MVC and Frameworks make my life a lot easier . And isn't all this just a tool to achieve that goal?
Originally Posted by eThuz View Post
I'm on the Caelestrasz US (It's in my sig :P)

Asia isn't bad to connect through, but Sydney->US is a more direct route, so a lot faster
doh xD
__________________
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 04:31 PM   #966
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian
 
Nefrirr's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by WyriHaximus View Post
Tho I have to admit OO, MVC and Frameworks make my life a lot easier . And isn't all this just a tool to achieve that goal?
In spite of my wisecracking comments on "the (g)olden days" of programming, I myself wouldn't want to go back to that age. I have to admit that I actually write most of my code not only with modern design principles in mind, but even sacrifice speed for readability (I mostly do implementations in a research context, where the task is mainly to understand algorithms or do a proof of concept, not for end users).

The ironic thing is that I am often forced to use ANSI C and basically simulate OO design principles without proper language support. It's a twisted world.
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 05:06 PM   #967
Muqq
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10
I just spent the last 15 minutes or so reading through the last couple days worth of posts and all I have to say is "Kan I haz kie?".....

As for internet connections, I'm on something like 16Mb/s cable here which is one of the "lower" speeds for the area.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 05:20 PM   #968
kokomala
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 29
Apparently a bunch of guilds have been selected for the guild/beta invite thing this week, with keys to be sent out to them shortly (1-2 weeks).

Perhaps the next lot of addon author keys will be sent out at the same time.
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 06:11 PM   #969
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr
 
Talryn's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27
I don't think the author keys are tied to the guild beta key give away. In fact, I'd think it easier not to send them all out at once.

Hopefully we'll hear something soon. It seems like it is usually a week or so in between the batches. At least it felt that way.

I have no idea if they'll let Cairenn know batch is coming or if they'll just send it to him.

Just keep an eye out here (the forum posts) or on the front page.
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 06:14 PM   #970
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,112
Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
I have no idea if they'll let Cairenn know batch is coming or if they'll just send it to him.
Him? HIM? HMPH! Her, thank you very kindly!
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 06:31 PM   #971
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr
 
Talryn's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27
Oops, sorry. I just typed that up quickly. Now that you mention it, I did learn that earlier. :-)

I think I'm still confused though from the last gender debate (over Cladhaire) in another thread...
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 08:38 PM   #972
Motig
A Fallenroot Satyr
 
Motig's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
Oops, sorry. I just typed that up quickly. Now that you mention it, I did learn that earlier. :-)

I think I'm still confused though from the last gender debate (over Cladhaire) in another thread...
Everybody uses real life avatar pictures here!
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 08:40 PM   #973
eThuz
TeamBPS
 
eThuz's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
If I'm not mistaken but I thought 8Mb = 1 MB (8 megabits = 1 megabyte)?
Originally Posted by Nefrirr View Post
Indeed. Since 8 bit = 1 byte (at least in ISO standards), 1 Megabyte = 10^6 byte and 1 Megabit = 10^6 bit, your reasoning is totally sound.
I'm hesitant to call what Optus offer 1MB/s.
ISPs over here like to play games and say you get UP TO X, when really that's only in the best case scenario, and you shouldn't expect to get anywhere near it
__________________
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 09:30 PM   #974
Shadowed
...
Premium Member
Featured
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Motig View Post
Everybody uses real life avatar pictures here!
For the record, I look exactly like my avatar in real life.
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 10:32 PM   #975
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)
 
Bluspacecow's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
For the record, I look exactly like my avatar in real life.
What Avatar ?

You has none. Does this mean you don't exist IRL ?

BTW Everyone who hasn't already - you need to delete your Beta folder now and redownload the whole thing has they've completely changed how the updating system now works. To get it all up and running again you gotta go delete your Beta folder and reinstall it from the client page for beta on battle.net

This will get you to download a 658 MB new installer that installs a "Cataclysm-Beta-Installer-4.0.0.12635-enUS" folder

That one gets updated to the latest build.
__________________
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
  Reply With Quote
08-04-10, 11:08 PM   #976
kokomala
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
I don't think the author keys are tied to the guild beta key give away. In fact, I'd think it easier not to send them all out at once.

Hopefully we'll hear something soon. It seems like it is usually a week or so in between the batches. At least it felt that way.
Yea. I'd imagine they're a bit interested in the new launcher and doing initial testing on that before a stress test with new keys being given out.

Here's hoping for next week at the latest however
  Reply With Quote
08-05-10, 12:49 AM   #977
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
 
Quokka's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
What Avatar ?

You has none. Does this mean you don't exist IRL ?

BTW Everyone who hasn't already - you need to delete your Beta folder now and redownload the whole thing has they've completely changed how the updating system now works. To get it all up and running again you gotta go delete your Beta folder and reinstall it from the client page for beta on battle.net

This will get you to download a 658 MB new installer that installs a "Cataclysm-Beta-Installer-4.0.0.12635-enUS" folder

That one gets updated to the latest build.
hope the enUS works for Europe this time
Since there is no option to change anymore
  Reply With Quote
08-05-10, 03:37 AM   #978
AtliThor
Now in color!
 
AtliThor's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
hope the enUS works for Europe this time
Since there is no option to change anymore
It does. I've tried.

Originally Posted by eThuz View Post
I'm hesitant to call what Optus offer 1MB/s.
ISPs over here like to play games and say you get UP TO X, when really that's only in the best case scenario, and you shouldn't expect to get anywhere near it
That's my situation as well. I have this fancy 16MB/s connection that only manages, at best, 1.2MiB of actual data per second. That's like a 40% drop

Sadly, this is the best ISP in my area. You don't want to hear about the second best...
  Reply With Quote
08-05-10, 04:32 AM   #979
akgis
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
You mean that Europe ppl have to download the Cataclysm-Beta-Installer-4.0.0.12635-enUS there is no enGB one?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
08-05-10, 05:07 AM   #980
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by akgis View Post
You mean that Europe ppl have to download the Cataclysm-Beta-Installer-4.0.0.12635-enUS there is no enGB one?
Correct, as of right now the installer installes all versions.
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off