07-24-09, 12:13 AM   #1
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

A note for players using multiple addons and creating (or transferring) new character

I've run into this problem multiple times recently, so I thought it might be a good idea to nip it in the bud for anyone else.

Lately I've created new toons on a different server than the original one I was using. I also use several addons for different characters which is something I'm sure everyone does. For instance, I have a bank alt on which I use Auctioneer, Postal, Altoholic and Bagnon. Now, the last three addons I use on every one of my alts, but auctioneer is really only needed on my bank guy. I also use several other addons based on class etc. The problem when creating a new toon is that frequently, if not always, EVERY single installed addon will be active for the new character upon login, which can lead to stuff being REALLY messed up on your screen (multiple error messages, things being where they're not supposed to be, etc.).

This is just a reminder, so people don't freak like I did the first time it happened to me. At the login screen, press the Addons button, then select your new toon's name (don't leave it on default) and then select which addons you want active for that character. It'll make your gaming life a lot easier.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

Last edited by voodoodad : 07-24-09 at 12:15 AM.
07-24-09, 04:45 AM   #2
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I do wish that WoW offered more in the way of addon management. I also wish Auctioneer could throw itself into one folder instead of hundreds. In any case, I suggest that you select All Characters and toggle auctioneer off. It will then stay off on any number of alts, so you can simply enable it on the one or two that you do want it on.

New addons will always be toggled on for all characters, though, which means old characters that you haven't played in a while will still be bombarded.

You could also pick up MCP, ACP, or whatever that addon calls itself nowadays. It allows addon profiles, so you can pop on your mess of a character and correct it then.
07-24-09, 08:12 AM   #3
jasje
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

i use ACP and i love it

download can be found here at curse.com

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...tails/acp.aspx

Tukui | Github
07-24-09, 08:34 AM   #4
lingering
A Cliff Giant

yea acp is awesome
07-24-09, 09:10 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by shkm View Post
I also wish Auctioneer could throw itself into one folder instead of hundreds.
Addons do this to save on memory and resources. It gives modules the ability to be loaded on demand (instead of all the time), and for you to disable what you don't use/care for.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-24-09, 09:24 AM   #6
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I've been a user of ACP for awhile now but since i uploaded my ui, i've ben checking out Reflux to make it easier for non profile savvy players.. still, I need my ACP
07-24-09, 09:41 AM   #7
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Addons do this to save on memory and resources. It gives modules the ability to be loaded on demand (instead of all the time), and for you to disable what you don't use/care for.
Yes, I understand and even support this. Thing is, I'm sure many of us crave one single Auctioneer package that they can enable with ease on their alts. If I'm going to use the behemoth of an (excellent) addon, I may as well use all of it.
07-24-09, 12:26 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes, I understand and even support this. Thing is, I'm sure many of us crave one single Auctioneer package that they can enable with ease on their alts. If I'm going to use the behemoth of an (excellent) addon, I may as well use all of it.
AuctionMaster takes care of that issue. One folder, less resources, amazing addon that I don't need to disable for any of my toons.
07-24-09, 06:35 PM   #9
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
AuctionMaster takes care of that issue. One folder, less resources, amazing addon that I don't need to disable for any of my toons.
That actually looks very nice. Don't suppose it can import data from Auctioneer?
07-24-09, 07:08 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That actually looks very nice. Don't suppose it can import data from Auctioneer?
I'm thinkin prolly not. I ached from losing all that data when I switched, but ooooo everything ran so much better! It's kind of hard to get use to after running Auctioneer for so long, but I eventually got use to it.
07-24-09, 09:37 PM   #11
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

I think Auctionator is probably one of the most overlooked auction mods out there. I love this mod and don't miss Auctioneer one bit.
07-29-09, 03:48 AM   #12
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

LOLZ At Voodoodady person,

You do know that within each toon's wtf folder is a text file that tells wow what addons are enabled ?

Just copy it !

IE World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\(youraccountname)\Realm\OldToon\addons.txt

to

World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\(youraccountname)\Realm\NewToon\addons.txt

or

World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\(youraccountname)\NewRealm\NewToon\addons.txt
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-29-09, 04:32 AM   #13
PurpleWedgie
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Syxx View Post
I think Auctionator is probably one of the most overlooked auction mods out there. I love this mod and don't miss Auctioneer one bit.
I second this. Auctionator gives me what I want without all the bloat, although I will preface that by stating I don't really care about auction history from 6 months ago.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » A note for players using multiple addons and creating (or transferring) new character