08-30-09, 04:48 PM   #1
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
"growing" buff/debuffs rows

I'm trying to make my debuffs and buffs work like this* (see example below) and I'm just wondering if there's any smarter way. Last time I used "Auras" they only allowed to pad it with an empty icon(s?) and not actually lines/rows.

5 buff, 8 debuff

[d][d][d][d][d][d][d][d]
[b][b][b][b][b]
[_____unitframe_____]

12 buff, 9 debuff

[d]
[d][d][d][d][d][d][d][d]
[b][b][b][b]
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]
[_____unitframe_____]

lua Code:
  1. local updateTargetDebuffPosition = function(self, icons, x)
  2.     if icons.visibleDebuffs and icons.visibleDebuffs > 0 then
  3.         if self.Buffs.visibleBuffs and self.Buffs.visibleBuffs > 0 then
  4.             -- 10 is my pad from unitframe, 26+2 is my buff size/spacing and 8 is how many i show per line
  5.             local calcpos = 10 + (28 * ceil(self.Buffs.visibleBuffs/8) )
  6.             icons:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT", self, "TOPLEFT", 1, calcpos)
  7.         else
  8.             icons:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT", self, "TOPLEFT", 1, 10)
  9.         end
  10.     end
  11. end

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 08-30-09 at 05:23 PM.
08-30-09, 08:12 PM   #2
Krag72
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I don't know if it's a "smarter" way as such, but you can use a custom SetAuraPosition where you just copy the default one (from auras.lua) and instead of just incrementing the column position when it switches from buffs to debuffs you can increment the row and reset the column.

(not at my game computer right now so can't try it out at the moment, but it should work fine I think.)
09-01-09, 01:44 AM   #3
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I've never tried that type of aura layout, but does anchoring your debuffs to the top of your buffs frame not work?
09-01-09, 06:39 AM   #4
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Waverian View Post
I've never tried that type of aura layout, but does anchoring your debuffs to the top of your buffs frame not work?
The frame is only the container for the first row and will not grow in any direction so I'm afraid it doesn't work unless some extra code was added.

Best regards, v6.
09-01-09, 06:41 AM   #5
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Krag72 View Post
I don't know if it's a "smarter" way as such, but you can use a custom SetAuraPosition where you just copy the default one (from auras.lua) and instead of just incrementing the column position when it switches from buffs to debuffs you can increment the row and reset the column.

(not at my game computer right now so can't try it out at the moment, but it should work fine I think.)
Ah, I'm not using "Auras" at the moment but seperate buffs and debuffs. I'll try this.

Best regards, v6.
09-17-09, 03:20 AM   #6
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Not sure if you found a solution to this or not, but here's the short version of what I did. It's not clear what direction you're wanting stuff to grow, but, assuming it's up, anchor the buffs frame normally and the debuffs frame to the top of the buffs frame. Set the height of each to an appropriate height for one layer of auras.

Then, in your preAuraSetPosition function, get a count of visible buffs:

Code:
local visBuffs = 0
for i=1, #buffs do
	if( buffs[i]:IsShown() ) then
		visBuffs = visBuffs + 1
	end
end
Then you're going to establish the appropriate frame height:

Code:
if(visBuffs == 0 ) then
	buffs:SetHeight(0)
else
	buffs:SetHeight(math.ceil((visBuffs/numBuffsPerRow)) * buffHeight )
end
This adjusts the height of the frames based on the number of buffs and how many rows you'd need.
09-17-09, 04:10 AM   #7
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
oUF already sets buffs.visibleBuffs for you.
09-17-09, 05:51 AM   #8
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
The only problem is that, assuming you're using Buffs and Debuffs, the Debuffs frame only sets .visibleDebuffs. I assume you could use the following, though I haven't tested it.

Code:
if(buffs.visibleBuffs == 0 or buffs.visibleDebuffs == 0) then
	buffs:SetHeight(0)
else
	buffs:SetHeight(math.ceil(((buffs.visibleBuffs or buffs.visibleDebuffs)/numBuffsPerRow)) * buffHeight )
end
09-17-09, 06:20 AM   #9
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
In no way did I say my script was broken, totally opposite, it was working perfectly but I wasn't sure it was the best way to go about so I asked for a smarter way and I am using Auras right now as Krag suggested.

Best regards, v6.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » "growing" buff/debuffs rows