12-27-09, 07:44 PM   #1
rberry88
Premium Member
Adding scale to a layout

I'm using oUF_shkm, he is no longer updating the mod since July and I was trying to get it a little larger by using the scale command. I'm new to lua but I added "local scale = 1.2" without the quotes at the beginning of the lua file where the other locals are defined but it has no effect.

Any easy way to add scaling to this layout?
12-27-09, 09:30 PM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by rberry88 View Post
I'm using oUF_shkm, he is no longer updating the mod since July and I was trying to get it a little larger by using the scale command. I'm new to lua but I added "local scale = 1.2" without the quotes at the beginning of the lua file where the other locals are defined but it has no effect.

Any easy way to add scaling to this layout?

Defining a local is not necessary to scale frames. It's a way to apply the same number to all places where you use a scale, though.

For example ...

Setting a scale goes more or less like this (the numbers in brackets are the scale values which vary in my example below):

oUF_Player:SetScale(1.0)
oUF_Target:SetScale(1.4)
oUF_Focus:SetScale(0.6)

in your case, you could apply your local like this
oUF_Player:SetScale(Scale)
oUF_Target:SetScale(Scale)
oUF_Focus:SetScale(Scale)

which would result in all frames being scaled by 1.2

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

12-27-09, 10:35 PM   #3
rberry88
Premium Member
Awesome, thanks a lot. Works like a charm.
12-28-09, 02:28 AM   #4
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
A way to do it without having to set it for each one (unless that's what you want to do ) is to add a line at the end of the layout function that looks like this:
self:SetAttribute('initial-scale', 1.2)

That way they're all set as they're created. I'm not sure if SetScale is protected during combat or not, but if so you can run into problems if the unit frames are created during combat (logging in after a DC, for example). Using SetAttribute gets around that.
12-28-09, 07:20 AM   #5
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by wurmfood View Post
That way they're all set as they're created. I'm not sure if SetScale is protected during combat or not, but if so you can run into problems if the unit frames are created during combat (logging in after a DC, for example). Using SetAttribute gets around that.
Mhm, sounds possible. I'm using the SetScale code for my layout(s) and never got any issue reports. I'm not using those options myself, though. I just put them in, because others might have a use for it.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

12-28-09, 07:36 AM   #6
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
:SetScale() is protected in combat. Just set the attributes instead and let oUF/Blizzard handle it and you'll be fine.
12-28-09, 03:26 PM   #7
Dawn
A Molten Giant

will self:SetAttribute('initial-scale', 1.2) also work for separate frames like this

oUF_Player:SetAttribute('initial-scale', PlayerScale)

or do I have to to use it like this
if unit = player then
self:SetAttribute('initial-scale', PlayerScale)
elseif unit = whatever then
self:SetAttribute('initial-scale', whateverScale)

end

Thing is I do NOT want all frames to have to have the same scale.

12-28-09, 05:31 PM   #8
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Pretty sure you have to go with the second option. In your case, oUF_Player is spawned by the oUF:Spawn() call, during with the initial attributes are set. After it's been spawned, only SetScale will change the scale, but by then it's too late to avoid taint issues if called in combat.
12-28-09, 06:10 PM   #9
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
What wurmfood says is correct, except that single frames spawned directly are created before the combat restriction hits. Setting scale outside the function is really only an issue for header frames.

And to Dawn, you might want to take a look at how oUF_Lily is split up when it comes to handling multiple units in one layout.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » Adding scale to a layout