09-26-11, 09:02 AM   #1
NiQil
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Help replacing addons not being maintained

With 4.3 on the horizon, I have some addons that are no longer being maintained that I have a feeling are going to get broken when the patch lands. As such, I am trying to be a bit preemptive and find replacements for them.

The first is Mapster. Still appears to work, but I fear will get broken soon. Has not been updated since May, despite many user requests. The features I use most in this addon are the coordinates and the fog clear. So I need help finding a simple map addon that will at least give me that much. Profile settings would also be nice.

The second is XanDurability. Gives a small % display of your durability. This one is the one, imo, that is most likely to survive 4.3, but since its not being maintained, I need to find a replacement.

The third is XanMortarPestle. This addon allows you to hold down the alt key and then click on an item in order to mill/prospect/disenchant/lock pick. Very useful little time saver.

The last is XanTooltipHoudini. This addon causes your tooltip to hide itself whenever you enter combat.

Any help that anyone can provide pointing me to suggestions for replacements for any of these addons would be greatly appreciated.
09-26-11, 10:44 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by NiQil View Post
The first is Mapster. Still appears to work, but I fear will get broken soon. Has not been updated since May, despite many user requests. The features I use most in this addon are the coordinates and the fog clear. So I need help finding a simple map addon that will at least give me that much. Profile settings would also be nice.
Perhaps MetaMap.

or

MozzFullWorldMap with MapCoords

The second is XanDurability. Gives a small % display of your durability. This one is the one, imo, that is most likely to survive 4.3, but since its not being maintained, I need to find a replacement.
maybe DurabilityHelper is what you could use?

The third is XanMortarPestle. This addon allows you to hold down the alt key and then click on an item in order to mill/prospect/disenchant/lock pick. Very useful little time saver.
I use Molinari and Criminal

The last is XanTooltipHoudini. This addon causes your tooltip to hide itself whenever you enter combat.
I dont think this addon has been abandoned just hasnt been updated in a few months cause it dosnt need a update, same with some of the others.
09-26-11, 12:50 PM   #3
Zidomo
A Cliff Giant

The first is Mapster. Still appears to work, but I fear will get broken soon. Has not been updated since May, despite many user requests.
Why do you fear that? Not every mod needs weekly updates. The developer is active. The development site for Mapster is here. As with many (many) mods from many devs, they don't necessarily go adding tons of features that are unneeded. Or put out updates just for the heck of it.

Mapster is the least system-burdensome map addon out there with all its features. One update to it that you can easily make yourself is to install the latest LibBabble-Zone-3.0 library that Mapster uses. Download & unzip. After doing that, you will unlikely encounter any errors or problems with the mod currently.

If there are WoW 4.3 changes that "break" it (other than the above library that will be updated if there are any location updates), the author I'm sure will update the mod. Never a good use of time trying to get adjusted to new mods ahead of a patch date in which those new mods may break and not get updated. If Mapster totally breaks in 4.3 and the author doesn't update, look for alternatives then.

My favorite in active development in terms of least system resources used & the presentation of its data: Broker_DurabilityInfo.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Help replacing addons not being maintained