04-08-12, 10:23 PM   #21
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
All of the older crash logs are more or less identical to the one I posted, and none of them have Realm, Local Player/Zone, Total Lua memory, or Current addon X lines.

I'm currently logging in, waiting for someone to spam me with a guild invite, and then logging out. So far I've (probably) established, by testing 10 logouts without guild invites and then 10 logouts with guild invites, that:

1) No crashes occur when all addons are disabled.

2) Alt-tabbing at any time has no effect on whether a crash will occur, as I have alt-tabbed at least once before each logout.

3) None of my class-specific addons are causing the crashes, as I am currently testing on a druid, do not have any druid-specific addons, and have crashed.

4) No crashes occur when only addons A-L are enabled, regardless of whether I have received a guild invite. This includes LearningAid, so it is (probably) not the cause of my crashes.

Last edited by Phanx : 04-08-12 at 10:49 PM.
04-08-12, 10:41 PM   #22
coani
A Kobold Labourer
Phanx: by any random chance, having had same error in beta, is your client running in DirectX 11 mode? I noticed from your log that you have a GT8800 card (which is a DX9 card), and the problem I had in beta was that the client defaulted to running in DX11 mode, while I am using an older DX9 card (GTX280), and... something caused it to crash randomly with that #132 error. Changing the game to run in DX9 mode fixed it for me (options -> advanced -> Graphics API).
04-08-12, 10:48 PM   #23
Phanx
Cat.

Nope, running in DirectX 9 mode. Good suggestion, though.

Further testing has (probably) ruled out all addons beginning with M-O. Moving on to P+ now.
04-08-12, 11:01 PM   #24
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation.
04-08-12, 11:36 PM   #25
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Are you positive? Not just class trainers; any profession trainer would do it, maybe one you do dailies for.

If you were crashing without talking to a trainer at any point during the session then you can pretty well disregard my theory.
With most of my characters at the time, I was doing the cooking and fishing dailies in Orgrimmar. As you know those do not involve a trainer but have an NPC set up to give the quests and not that profession's trainer.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-09-12, 12:13 AM   #26
Phanx
Cat.

Exciting news, maybe.

After over 100 trials, I noticed that a crash occured when I logged out immediately after declining a guild invite. I was then able to cause the crash 4 times in a row this way. However, I'd also experienced 1 crash without seeing a guild invite. At the time, all of the Phanx* addons except PhanxBot and PhanxMod were enabled (I'd left those disabled since I thought they'd be more likely to be causing the problem, as they each do a lot of random stuff).

However, after further testing, I narrowed it down some more and found that it only happens when PhanxTooltip (my private tooltip addon) is enabled. After a few trials, I realized that it was only crashing when there was a unit tooltip visible at logout. I was then able to reproduce the crash consistently that way, regardless of whether I'd seen a guild invite. I then tried enabling all addons except PhanxTooltip and logging out immediately after declining a guild invite, and was not able to cause any crashes, so it seems the whole guild invite angle was just a big coincidence.

Edit:

Okay, I have conclusively identified the cause of the issue. The following test code will cause a crash on logout/exit, if a unit tooltip is visible, 100% of the time:

Code:
local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("CURSOR_UPDATE")
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function()
	GameTooltip:Hide()
end)
Also going to report this on the Blizzard forums in case they feel like fixing it on the client end. Even if an addon is doing something "wrong" it shouldn't be able to hard-crash the client.

Edit #2:

Here is the official report in case anyone wants to follow it, and/or has more information to add:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4366253010

Last edited by Phanx : 04-09-12 at 01:39 AM.
04-09-12, 08:24 AM   #27
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4366253010
This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!

Program: C:\Applications\World of Warcraft\Wow-64.exe
ProcessID: 5568
Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0033:00000001400925D0

The instruction at "0x00000001400925D0" referenced memory at "0x0000000000000040".
The memory could not be "read".

I just tried this bug out on both the Live and PTR clients, and the PTR seems to give a bit more information on crashing. Just a heads up, was curious on reproducing ^^
Code:
This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #0 (0x85100000) Assertion failure!

Program:	F:\Game\World of Warcraft Public Test\WoW.exe
ProcessID:	2572
File:	.\ObjectMgrClient.cpp
Line:	469
Expr:	s_curMgr

WoWBuild: 15531
Version: 4.3.4
Type:  WoWT
Platform: X86

Last edited by Ketho : 04-09-12 at 08:27 AM.
04-09-12, 09:40 AM   #28
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm glad you figured it out because I would never have guessed that. Seeing this reminded me of yet another way I've managed to crash the client before.

I just tested it, and after more than 2 years it still does it, and it has got to be related to your tooltip issue.

Lua Code:
  1. local m = CreateFrame("DressUpModel")
  2. m:SetScript("OnUpdateModel", function(self)
  3.     self:Hide()
  4. end)
  5. m:SetModel("spells/errorcube.m2")

Hiding the frame is causing a race condition or something. I can only assume the client is still trying to access it which causes the crash.

I guess we'll need to be careful about hiding frames while they're being updated.
04-09-12, 10:29 AM   #29
Phanx
Cat.

@Ketho:

You may want to post that PTR crash report in the Blizzard forum thread. Let me know if you don't have a US account, and I can post it for you.

@Semlar:

Yeah, it was almost exciting once I was getting it to crash consistently. Definitely wasn't how I wanted to spend 5+ hours of my life, though.
04-09-12, 10:51 AM   #30
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Don't have an US account. Please do post the PTR version for me
04-09-12, 10:56 AM   #31
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Definitely wasn't how I wanted to spend 5+ hours of my life, though.
Yeah, but now other people can use the information you've uncovered. Plus in the process I've managed to find an unrelated api function that does the same thing!

Your sacrifice is for the greater good! Or evil. I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

Actually, exploiting it might be the fastest way to get blizzard to fix this..

I mean think about it, it would take 5 minutes to write an addon that would let two people crash each other using the com channel and I guarantee somebody would use it. It could be like the old warlock demon summoning where a random participant gets sacrificed. Anyone who wants to play could push a button and it would randomly choose who to disconnect.

Last edited by semlar : 04-09-12 at 11:17 AM.
04-09-12, 03:37 PM   #32
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
Don't have an US account. Please do post the PTR version for me
Done.

04-10-12, 05:20 AM   #33
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Doesn't seem to be the same cause that I'm experiencing. Don't have any addon that uses CURSOR_UPDATE. It also happens fairly rarely for me (more like 1 out of 10 times). That, coupled with the fact that I don't play a lot these days makes it hard to try to reproduce it. I actually can't remember the last time I had it. I'll keep an eye out for it, though!
04-10-12, 01:31 PM   #34
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
Doesn't seem to be the same cause that I'm experiencing. Don't have any addon that uses CURSOR_UPDATE. It also happens fairly rarely for me (more like 1 out of 10 times). That, coupled with the fact that I don't play a lot these days makes it hard to try to reproduce it. I actually can't remember the last time I had it. I'll keep an eye out for it, though!
Hmm, it's possible other events/functions could cause a similar result. Would take a lot of testing of the possibilities, unless you can narrow it down (might be hard if it's that infrequent for you).
04-10-12, 05:26 PM   #35
TSquared
Big Daddy!
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Actually, exploiting it might be the fastest way to get blizzard to fix this..
That sounds like a terrible idea.

Thanks for the detailed steps. These crashes should be fixed in the beta.
04-10-12, 05:54 PM   #36
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by TSquared View Post
That sounds like a terrible idea.
Terrible, or terrific?

That's too bad because I really want to make Crash Roulette a reality.

Who doesn't want to go down gambling?

Last edited by semlar : 04-10-12 at 05:56 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » WoW crashing on log out/exit