02-20-10, 03:07 PM   #21
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks again, all! I think I'm going to dual boot. But, does WindowBlinds 7.0 work for Windows 7?

Thanks Zyonin, interesting read. I've googled most of the things you mentioned and it all looks good! We'll see what happens, thank you all for all replies!

Gonna try what you said Simbuk. Hopefully it will solve my problems.

- Wimpeh!
02-20-10, 06:56 PM   #22
Simbuk
A Murloc Raider
Yes, Windowblinds will play nice with Windows 7. You can also take a look at LiteStep, as it also features some support for Win7, though it's not immediately clear how complete that support is.
02-20-10, 06:58 PM   #23
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Simbuk View Post
Yes, Windowblinds will play nice with Windows 7. You can also take a look at LiteStep, as it also features some support for Win7, though it's not immediately clear how complete that support is.
Thanks, I'll see what I come up with!
02-20-10, 09:06 PM   #24
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Aerials View Post
i agree..... you really can do everything you can do in windows in linux....
I would agree with this, especially when you consider all the bundled apps in most major distro packages. I guess the 20-year long complaints about Microsoft bundling apps with their operating systems has finally ended and the new way of packaging everything into a complete operating system is now chic, even amongst Linux geeks. Is it just me, or did anyone ever think they'd see the day??

Linux is for people who like to work on computers while Windows is for computers that work for people I'm kidding of course. I use several flavors of each with my work, etc. I just HATE gaming on Linux. I wish it were better, I really do. I don't know why any hardcore gamer would choose it as a sole operating system, well, unless like I said, they like working on computers I am very happy that Linux knows g and G are the same letter now.

Good luck.
02-21-10, 08:19 AM   #25
Aesh
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Linux is for people who love to use his own brain in head

here is list of distros, pick any of them.

http://distrowatch.com

personally i am using :
1.Mint at home.
2.Pardus on laptop - this one is unique.not based on any other big distros.
and maybe have best polished KDE
3.Windows at work

Mint.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
Pardus.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pardus
02-21-10, 09:32 AM   #26
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

seems like this thread needs more Arch fanbois
02-21-10, 10:05 AM   #27
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Bruners View Post
I have been looking at Arch however I will wait until I am a more advanced Linux user. However Arch is a strong contender as is Sidux (Debian based distro) for when I do switch from Ubuntu.
02-21-10, 10:21 AM   #28
NitraMo
A Fallenroot Satyr
One thing which haven't been mentioned yet is using virtualization software. This will allow you to run another OS in your already running OS. Saving you the hassle of restarting the computer when you want to switch.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

I run VitualBox in Win7 and can then play all games and run all windows apps the way they should be run. And then use some other OS (Ubuntu in my case) to do the tasks which are much easier to perform there.
02-21-10, 12:01 PM   #29
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Aesh View Post
keh?

If you can read this then I've reached the word limit
03-02-10, 04:17 PM   #30
Nysil
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Aesh View Post

here is list of distros, pick any of them.

http://distrowatch.com

personally i am using :
1.Mint at home.
2.Pardus on laptop - this one is unique.not based on any other big distros.
and maybe have best polished KDE
3.Windows at work

Mint.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
Pardus.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pardus
Right now I'm giving Pardus a try with it's live CD, and I must say, I'm impressed with it. I've never had a linux distribution recognize my wireless card right off the bat. It simply looks badass. Hell, it even recognized my laptop's SD card reader without any fuss either, something that Windows doesn't do. xD

I've been considering making the jump to Linux as well, but I remain tied to Windows due to gaming. I just never seem to have any luck when it comes to getting Windows games to work with Linux.

Anyways, thanks for sharing that, I'm thoroughly enjoying Pardus atm.
03-13-10, 02:36 AM   #31
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm loving Linux, but I'm very frustrated right now trying to get a stable WoW experience under it -- for some reason, I can't get either an ATI card or an nVidia card to run with enough stability to make me happy. The failure modes certainly SEEM like they're graphics-card related, and perhaps more interestingly, they're completely different -- the nVidia card crashes are totally unlike the ATI card crashes.

But either way, the net result is that I can't play for very long without crashing. Meh.
03-13-10, 04:53 AM   #32
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Make sure you're using the latest Beta version of Wine (currently v1.1.40) to get the best experience. The latest "stable" version doesn't work very well at all.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
03-13-10, 05:28 AM   #33
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Make sure you're using the latest Beta version of Wine (currently v1.1.40) to get the best experience. The latest "stable" version doesn't work very well at all.
Which reminds me that I should add the WINE ppa to my Sources list. That would explain why Diablo II and I are not getting along.
03-24-10, 02:26 PM   #34
Nuggs
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Bruners View Post
I really like that distribution. I used it for about seven months but I have a bit of a problem with switching distros quite often.

I'm currently in the middle of getting Gentoo setup. Not sure why, it's such a long and boring process but it does run awesome if properly configured from the start.

On topic:

A suggestion if you're going to try out GNU/Linux for the first time, start with something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu. I also wouldn't recommend installing GNU/Linux inside of Windows as it will be running slower. I think there's a catch like not being able to access your C and whatever other partitions you may be trying to get to.

When you decide on a distribution, see if it has a live cd and try it out first. Not every distribution will require you to install it before you try it. Again, it's not what to expect with performance as you will take a big hit running from cd/dvd.

Be ready to search for answer yourself before asking questions. Quite often, you'll get replies such as RTFM when asking a question that's been covered in man pages or user manuals produced by your distribution or even already covered multiple times within the forums.

Also, while not always something that's an issue, be ready to search for any drivers you may need if your distribution of choice doesn't come with drivers for your hardware. Some distributions include a way to automatically download and install these proprietary drivers and others ship with them while others simple leave it up to you.

Another issue you'll want to look into before making the switch so it'll be easier for you is if you need codecs for audio and video as most GNU/Linux distributions will not be able to ship support for stuff like MP3 due to licensing reasons(Linux Mint doesn't have this issue).

Switching to GNU/Linux may seem like a lot of work and it is. If you're not willing to learn, save yourself the trouble now and stick with Windows. I'm not trying to say I don't want people to start using Linux, I just don't want them to use it for the wrong reasons and end up hating it when they realize they have to learn something new.

Just my take on things as I've been running it as my primary desktop for over ten years and keep Windows around for porting software or any games that may not run on my GNU/Linux partition. Depending on what you use your system for, you may find yourself never booting into Windows once you get a grasp on things.

Regards.
03-25-10, 08:45 AM   #35
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Nuggs View Post
A suggestion if you're going to try out GNU/Linux for the first time, start with something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu. I also wouldn't recommend installing GNU/Linux inside of Windows as it will be running slower. I think there's a catch like not being able to access your C and whatever other partitions you may be trying to get to.
Agreed. Ubuntu or Linux Mint are great "starter" distros as they package things up quite nicely. [/quote]

When you decide on a distribution, see if it has a live cd and try it out first. Not every distribution will require you to install it before you try it. Again, it's not what to expect with performance as you will take a big hit running from CD/DVD.
This another good idea. Ubuntu will ship a physical CD free of charge, otherwise you can download the CD image and burn it to a CD. Another option is to locate your friendly "neighborhood" LUG (Linux User Group). Many LUG members will be happy to supply you with a physical Live CD. In addition, you have a group of "live" geeks to provide assistance ("bribes" can help), however be nice! They will help, however they won't do the work for you. Just do a Google search for LUG (and your city).

Also, while not always something that's an issue, be ready to search for any drivers you may need if your distribution of choice doesn't come with drivers for your hardware. Some distributions include a way to automatically download and install these proprietary drivers and others ship with them while others simple leave it up to you.
This is a biggie. While most hardware will be supported "out of the box", many wireless LAN cards will have driver issues. If have an older ATI GFX card, then you will have issues (there are drivers however they are crappy). The more esoteric/exotic your hardware, the more likely you will have driver issues.

Another issue you'll want to look into before making the switch so it'll be easier for you is if you need codecs for audio and video as most GNU/Linux distributions will not be able to ship support for stuff like MP3 due to licensing reasons(Linux Mint doesn't have this issue).
Most of the major distros have package managers that allow for easy install of codecs. Ubuntu/Debian based distros, Fedora, openSUSE, Mandriva, Arch all come with package managers that make the business of finding and installing things like codecs quite easy (unless it's locked down like some Windows Media 9 codecs).

Switching to GNU/Linux may seem like a lot of work and it is. If you're not willing to learn, save yourself the trouble now and stick with Windows. I'm not trying to say I don't want people to start using Linux, I just don't want them to use it for the wrong reasons and end up hating it when they realize they have to learn something new.
Agreed. Linux can be a bit of pain to set up the first time (though installation with most distros is "falling off a log" easy) especially as you tweak to taste. If you stick with distros that are "newbie" friendly (like Ubuntu or Linux Mint), you will generally have an easier time adjusting to the new OS. However make no mistake, there will be an adjustment period. It's like breaking in a new pair of boots, however with time and experience,

Just my take on things as I've been running it as my primary desktop for over ten years and keep Windows around for porting software or any games that may not run on my GNU/Linux partition. Depending on what you use your system for, you may find yourself never booting into Windows once you get a grasp on things.

Regards.
Always good to see what the grizzled old veterans have to say. I am still a bit of newbie though I am getting this OS under control and doing things that I could not do six months ago.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-25-10 at 08:47 AM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » So I'm about to switch to Linux...