03-13-11, 06:56 PM   #1
Wickedshifts
A Fallenroot Satyr
Blizzard Mail Frame Question

I was wondering if it's possible to edit or even create an entirely new frame to replace the default Mail frame? I ask because I have an idea for an addon (Yes it has been done before, but to be honest I hate running 2 - 3 addons for different functions, when they can possibly be all added together into one single addon) & I think for it to work corretly & even look right in my eyes (Im a very visual person... Yes, I draw my frames & layout on paper before I even start to try & code anything... im a coding newb BTW But want to learn!), the mail Frame would have to be completly remade to fit my UI.
03-13-11, 07:50 PM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Skinning normally doesn't require a complete rewrite, unless new/different features/functionality is involved.

You should get away with adjusting/changing the appearance and position of existent frames. Again, this depends on what you are aiming for.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

03-13-11, 08:27 PM   #3
Wickedshifts
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well im using a copy of ElvUI amd I have modified some things but nothing major, just UF layout etc... Im really asking about the mail things because as of right now I am using Jeebus & Postal for my mail, reason being is this. Jeebus does a GREAT job of remember Alt names, guild members, friends, etc... Postal does it to, however, does not remember my horde Shamans name I send BoAs to from time to time when I level him. Postal has the main feature I am looking for a 'Take All' button, or I can check a box next to the mails I want to take from my box & it will open those mails, instead of me having to it manually.

Back during LK I had another mail addon that when mailing attachments to an alt or anyone once you attached 12 items to the mail it would automatically send it, as compared to postal I have to attach 12, click send OR Alt + Click the last item I attached in my bags to send it. Although this is not a huge inconvience, it does get a little annoying. I spend ALOT of time farming / gathering to send stuff to an alt to craft / DE so this would be a HUGE time saver.

What I am bascially going to try to do, is "reskin" or create a nee addon for the mail frame so it fits i with my UI, & does the above mentioned feature I was talking about....

1. Remember Alt names (Regardless of faction), Guild Members, and Friends.
2. A 'Take All' button & check boxes to take just certain mails.
3. Automatically send a mail when 12 attachments are made.

Hence why I was asking about the mail frame being reskined... I love learning & although this is probably WAY to advanced for me, Im in it for the challenge. Plus, I have alot of ideas for small addons I used to have during BC / LK that are no longer updated / maintained that I would love to recreate or modify to fit my wifes & I needs / wants.
03-13-11, 08:35 PM   #4
Dawn
A Molten Giant

So you are basically requesting a mail addon that fits your needs? If so, you're better of posting the exact needs in the AddOn Search/Requests forum.

In case you need help writing your own addon. Just start coding and report back issues with your code. Maybe start with a basic addon like "OpenAll" and add/modify code to it, if you don't want to start from scratch.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

03-13-11, 08:41 PM   #5
Wickedshifts
A Fallenroot Satyr
Not really requesting, just asking if the mail fram can be modified or reskined as you stated. That was my question in the OP, sorry for any confusion / extra info in the first reply. & If i need any help, ill ask using the correct thread.

Thanks
03-15-11, 01:53 AM   #6
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It's definitely possible. Look at the addon called BetterInbox as an example, changes the display to a scrolling one instead of a paged one.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...tterInbox.html

Although I'm biased towards Postal since its my addon.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Blizzard Mail Frame Question