07-06-17, 05:48 AM   #1
Karkov
A Defias Bandit
loads of LUA errors

Hi all.
I'm suddenly experiecing a massive amount of LUA errors, linked to addons that are up to date, such as gatherer. One of these is:

39x Gatherer\GatherTooltip.lua:77: Attempt to access forbidden object from code tainted by an AddOn
[C]: in function `NumLines'
Gatherer\GatherTooltip.lua:77: in function <Gatherer\GatherTooltip.lua:76>
[C]: in function `SetUnitAura'
[string "*:OnEnter"]:2: in function <[string "*:OnEnter"]:1>

Locals:

Another example linked to Bartender is:

1566x ...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0-69.lua:743: Attempt to access forbidden object from code tainted by an AddOn
[C]: in function `GetOwner'
...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0-69.lua:743: in function <...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0.lua:703>

Locals:

Yet another is:

7x ...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress-0.3e for Patch 7.1.0.lua:214: attempt to index a nil value
...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress-0.3e for Patch 7.1.0.lua:214: in function <...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress.lua:212>
...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress-0.3e for Patch 7.1.0.lua:220: in function <...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress.lua:217>
...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress-0.3e for Patch 7.1.0.lua:567: in function <...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress.lua:557>
...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress-0.3e for Patch 7.1.0.lua:712: in function <...aceMythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress.lua:708>

Locals:
(*temporary) = <function> defined =[C]:-1
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 3
(*temporary) = "attempt to index a nil value"
simulationCurrent = 28
strtrim = <function> defined =[C]:-1
getProgressInfo = <function> defined @MythicPlusProgress\MythicPlusProgress.lua:188

Obviously, since I have a lot of addons, and have spent a lot of time setting it up, I'm hoping for an easy fix. Can someone help?

I should mention they only ever show up in instances
07-06-17, 09:34 AM   #2
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The first two are caused by Blizzard bugs in their UI code. There is very little an addon author can do to avoid tainted execution path, but there are some things. The single biggest thing is having the author make sure there are no leaking global variables.

I'd have to look at MythicPlusProgress, and I don't feel like downloading and hacking it right now, but the error is that it is trying to process a nil value either in a function call or looping through a table. The issue starts around line 214 but is referenced in other lines. For this error, you would need to inform the author of MythicPlusProgress, as this can only be fixed by that person.

Hopefully this helps, at least a little.
07-06-17, 09:40 AM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oh yes, I should say that the first two errors are probably not caused by either Gatherer or LibActionButton-1.0; in fact, I don't have Gatherer but I do have LAB, yet I still get the same error you have. However, I have never had LAB get blamed on my system. I get HandyNotes, Zygor, etc.

Blizzard's internal bug reporting for tainted execution path is notoriously inaccurate. It tends to blame the next addon or their own UI addon after the actual offending addon or UI addon has done the damage. This is so bad, that the blamed addon or UI addon might not have anything at all to do with the original offense, and also might not even use the tainted code path instructions.

What that means is something like this: say the minimap code goes bad, but the next addon in the memory pool is your unit frames. Unit frame code has exactly zero to do with the minimap, yet the unit frame will be blamed with no mention of the minimap.

So yes, stupid Blizzard bug, and even worse Blizzard error reporting.
07-06-17, 02:19 PM   #4
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Oh yes, I should say that the first two errors are probably not caused by either Gatherer or LibActionButton-1.0; in fact, I don't have Gatherer but I do have LAB, yet I still get the same error you have. However, I have never had LAB get blamed on my system. I get HandyNotes, Zygor, etc.

Blizzard's internal bug reporting for tainted execution path is notoriously inaccurate. It tends to blame the next addon or their own UI addon after the actual offending addon or UI addon has done the damage. This is so bad, that the blamed addon or UI addon might not have anything at all to do with the original offense, and also might not even use the tainted code path instructions.

What that means is something like this: say the minimap code goes bad, but the next addon in the memory pool is your unit frames. Unit frame code has exactly zero to do with the minimap, yet the unit frame will be blamed with no mention of the minimap.

So yes, stupid Blizzard bug, and even worse Blizzard error reporting.
Will I get an accurate error message if I only have the addon in question loaded (i.e. no other addons running)?
07-06-17, 02:40 PM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You could try, but I doubt it. Like I said, the error about taint or forbidden or addon blocked usually has nothing to do with the addon on which the blame is laid.

That said, it could be a decent test. Also, disable the blamed addons and watch what happens. Keep in mind that disabling a library will cause errors with the addon that requires it, in this case, LibActionButton. If you disable that, you will also need to disable Bartender.
07-07-17, 12:22 PM   #6
Karkov
A Defias Bandit
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

Like you said, I find it hard to believe that anything should be wrong with the addon gatherer, as it is used by thousands of people, and it is up to date. Furthermore, these errors dont start popping up until I am in a dungeon/raid, in which case they start popping up in the thousands. I would not normally think of a dungeon as a place where Gatherer should start popping up error messages, as it has no use in a dungeon, compared to broken isles.
The fact that the errors dont show up until I am in an instance, makes it hard to figure out what the root cause is.

Furthermore, until a few days ago, I didnt have this issue.

So, for someone like me, how knows little to none about coding and addons, and computers in general - How do I fix this?

Complete re-install of the game and addons, including WTF folder etc? Something less drastic?

Have a nice weekend!
Best Regards Karkov
07-08-17, 12:25 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The first thing is make certain your addons are up to date. After that, if the errors persist, it would be really helpful to know which addons you have installed, besides the ones already mentioned.

The usual suspects to trigger Blizzard's bad code in patch 7.2.5 are addons that try to handle unit positions and coordinates in instances, which is now protected; addons that skin the chat bubbles; and occasionally nameplates.

Reinstalling your addons probably won't help, but it is possible some of their saved variables are corrupt. However, that is not likely. Same with reinstalling the game, which is massive overkill that most likely won't change anything.
07-08-17, 07:19 AM   #8
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

I just remembered this technique from Phanx.

https://phanx.net/addons/help#conflicts
07-08-17, 08:45 AM   #9
Karkov
A Defias Bandit
Thank you both for your replies.

I will try looking into outdated addons, and the guide Rocnroll linked.
As I remember it, I do have a few addons that are outdated - I'll try and load only up to date addons, and see if the problem persists.

Until I get some time to do that, here is a list of my addons:
!BugGrabber
Angryassignments
Auctionator
Bagbrother
Bagnon
Bartender4
BigWigs
BlockChinese
BugSack
CleanHotkey-master
Clique
ColorPickerPlus
eAlighUpdated
ElkBuffBars
Errorfilter
FramesResized
GarrisonMissionManager
Gatherer
Gnosis
Grid2
GTFO
HandyNotes
Immerrsion
IskarAssist
Kui-Nameplates
LittleWigs
Loggerhead
MapCoords
MarkinBar
Masque_Ryver
MikScrollingBattleTest
MoveAnything
MythicPlusProgress
MythicPlusTimer
Omen
Outliner
Pawn
Pitbulll4
Prat3.0
PremadeGroupsFilter
ProfilesKeyboardBinds
RCLootCouncil
RelicInspector
SexyMap
Simulationcraft
Skada
SocialRoster
StopResetingMyCameraPlease
Weakauras
WorldQuestGroupFinder
WorldQuestTracker

I hate to admit that many of these, Im not even sure why I have them, or what they do. It's been so many years with adding and removing addons, that I lost track of some.

Again, thanks a lot
Best Regards Karkov

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » loads of LUA errors