Fizgig1973
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thank you so much Rythal =)

10-30-14, 09:32 PM   #142
evie2883
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking Thanks!

Rythal, just wanted to say a huge Thank You for all your hard work, I have loved carbonite since before you took it over, and it has only gotten better since then.

I am eagerly awaiting an update so that my maps work again!

Thanks again!

Evie

10-30-14, 10:43 PM   #143
kswizzle71981
A Defias Bandit
A big thanks

Rythal,

Thank you for your hard work, we all appreciate it very very much. Although money is tight right now id be happy to send a donation if you want to set up a paypal. Carbonite is the best addon and i miss it dearly, i wanted to help out and if i still can let me know. You are the man and do not let these other noobs tell you otherwise!!

10-31-14, 06:15 AM   #144
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
As soon as I get battlegrounds working I planned on doing that It'll be the maps system only as I haven't even started looking at making the rest work with the revamped system
That's great news! Thank you for the great work, Rythal!

10-31-14, 11:07 PM   #145
Pied67
A Kobold Labourer
WTB Carbonite

I have used Carbonite for years, and am so grateful you took over the development of the add-on. I just donated to the cause and I'm very much looking forward to the next release. Godspeed sir!

Pied

11-01-14, 06:55 AM   #146
killmachine
A Defias Bandit

Carbonite for WOD

Just wondering how long it's going to take to update for latest patch

11-01-14, 06:59 AM   #147
twystedfate
A Defias Bandit

Originally Posted by killmachine View Post
Just wondering how long it's going to take to update for latest patch
as stated in previous posts it will be done when it's done Rythal is working on it. if you need detailed info read the rest of this thread

11-01-14, 10:10 AM   #148
Mmorpgfan32
A Kobold Labourer
I have had carbonite almost since I started wow and I have played wow on and off for years.

When I start back at wow the first thing I do is try and get carbonite as I resume. Its a must have, for quality gameplay in my opinion.

Carbonite, recount, DBM, xtolevel, and auctionator are the addons that I use. This time after a 3 month brake I dowloaded it from curse client and it was non functional due to patch and I must say, the game is less enjoyable.

Blizzard should hire Rythal, put him on the payroll and permantly integrate carbonite into wow. It seems almost more than a addon to me.

When I first started playing before questhelper was put in questing was a nightmare and a waste of time, then later I descovered carbonite and decided not to quit the game.

You must understand wow was my first exsperence with mmorpgs. I had not yet played eq1 and stuff, just old sierra point and click adventure games like kings quest and gabriel knight, quest for glory and such...which is ironicly now owned by activision, hahaha.

Anyway I did not know how it is with most mmorpgs, before that...and as a mmorpg was not divided into screens like an adventure game...well you see what I mean.

Were it not for carbonite, I would have quickly gave up on mmorpgs earily on and would have missed out on years of enjoyment and entertainment. Thanks carbonite and Rythal!

Last edited by Mmorpgfan32 : 11-01-14 at 10:15 AM.

11-01-14, 12:45 PM   #149
frannyanny
A Kobold Labourer
Talking

I'm new to W.o.W and the first add on i did was Carbonite i miss it and the help it gave i am patiently waiting for the up date so i can really enjoy W.o.W again Thank you Rythal for all your hard work

11-01-14, 01:53 PM   #150
webbdog88
A Defias Bandit
update notices

Will you include in the early release a system that notifies used when the updates are available.

11-01-14, 02:19 PM   #151
matt_b19
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by twystedfate View Post
as stated in previous posts it will be done when it's done Rythal is working on it. if you need detailed info read the rest of this thread
Rythal must have some idea of how long it is going to take.... a week a month...longer???

11-01-14, 04:13 PM   #152
Chaeden
A Defias Bandit
Rythal, Thank you from the bottom of my motherboard and to the depths of Dreanor!! Carbonite it the best multiple use addon out here for WOW!! I'm making due with Blizzards FAILS at map gen, and greatly appreciate every second and keystroke you utilize in continuing this module. I wish I could help progress things or make your load lighter. I thank you and anyone in your life who allows/enables you to continue this.

11-01-14, 04:15 PM   #153
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by matt_b19 View Post
Rythal must have some idea of how long it is going to take.... a week a month...longer???
I don't have any idea, The addon had to be fixed for the new mapping API's to start with, I could of at that time released it and it would of worked with 6.0, instead I started tearing it apart and redoing the back end way it deals and stores tables so that I can properly support WoD. In either case it was either people have it now, and not have it when WoD comes, or they don't have it now and hopefully will have it in time for WoD.

In previous posts within this thread the current progress has been mentioned, and hopefully i'll have a beta version out of the new system so people can test it and find bugs with it.

11-01-14, 04:44 PM   #154
crzyface
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
thank you for all your hard work and care to make this addon work like it used to. from me and the majority
of carbonite users thank you so very much

11-01-14, 04:48 PM   #155
Origami
A Murloc Raider
I don't have any idea, The addon had to be fixed for the new mapping API's to start with, I could of at that time released it and it would of worked with 6.0, instead I started tearing it apart and redoing the back end way it deals and stores tables so that I can properly support WoD. In either case it was either people have it now, and not have it when WoD comes, or they don't have it now and hopefully will have it in time for WoD.

In previous posts within this thread the current progress has been mentioned, and hopefully i'll have a beta version out of the new system so people can test it and find bugs with it.
Rythal, we appreciate all that you are doing, having to wait a little longer is no big deal, blizzard maps, clunky as they may be aren't terribly bad once you get use to them lol, the wait will pay off in the end when carbonite makes its return 😄 thank again for all that you do!

11-01-14, 10:43 PM   #156
corsika
A Defias Bandit
Do you have a list of 'grunt work' tasks that someone with development experience could do for you to speed the process along? Like entering raw codes or doing large search and replaces?

11-01-14, 11:07 PM   #157
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I wish I did, right now the only 2 major things to get working are to rework the BG maps / detection and to figure out why guide images are not displaying... guide is working and I can hover over stuff on the map and see the guide info, but no graphics.

11-02-14, 08:30 AM   #158
Whoanylle
A Defias Bandit
Red face We love you Rythal!

Thank you for continuing to put your blood, sweat and tears into this. We also have been stumbling along with the default map and are really excited about having Carbonite back. I totally agree with waiting until you are ready and hopefully having the beta with the new system. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Ellyn

11-02-14, 08:51 AM   #159
Designadrug
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Project Management

Rythal you are a fscking legend.

I have been programming for 31 years and have taken multiple products to market. You are a better person than I by long way; I couldn't conceive of taking-on the pressures of a project as big as Carbonite in my spare time.

For all the people who offer programming help, Rythal has politely declined many times. And the reason is one that can be hard to explain or understand if you have ever tried to code one project with multiple programmers. It is such a famous problem that books have been written about it. The most well known is "The Mythical Man-Week".

Basically the problem is project coordination. The more people there are on a project, the more time they spend coordinating instead of actually working at the coal-face. If the code is modular, this 'interference' can be reduced by coordinating how the modules will talk to each other, then going about writing the bits you 'own'. However, I get the impression that Carbonite was what we in the know call "monolithic" in that it was one enormous non-modular codebase. And that, is probably why he doesn't want other people working on it - controlling which changes get put in and when is a nightmare in a professional environment; on a hobby project I can imagine it could be fatal.

TLDR;
more than one coder = administrative overheads
Rythal = legend

11-02-14, 10:14 AM   #160
chilidogg11
A Murloc Raider
Thank you!

Rythal, I just wanted to add my thanks for you taking the time out of your busy schedule to tinker with and hopefully fix Carbonite in time for WoD. I am also someone who has used it for years and there's just nothing else out there like it. I know that the few dollars you get from supporters isn't near enough money for the work but rest assured that you can go to bed at night having done your good deed for the year! Nerds everywhere appreciate all that you do. Thanks again.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » WOD/Pre-patch