03-27-10, 01:54 PM   #1
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Arrow Users of DropCount - Read this

Firstly, if you haven't updated you DropCount in a while, you would probably want to go check it out again. It has gone a bit past the earlier versions that only recorded drops and drop-rates from mobs.
It will also track vendors, books and quest-givers. All displayed in the minimap.
DropCount is not anylonger only a plug-in for LootCount, and will work well on its own.

Since DropCount is growing in popularity, I am planning to include a database with it. Specifically, this will contain vendors, books and quest-givers. For this to hold the best quality possible, I will need your help in providing some usage data.
So please send your collected data to "dropcount|a|ybeweb.com". Doing so will help you to participate in the data that others collect.
The collected data can be found in the "<WoW>/WTF/Account/<accountname>/SavedVariables" directory.
The filename is "LootCount_DropCount.lua". This file does not contain any information about your servers and/or character names or any other personal information. If you still want to minimize what you send, the particular sections needed are "Vendor", "Book" and "Quest". If possible, please zip or rar the file.

Thanks in advance for your help.
04-03-10, 03:06 PM   #2
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

The first version (beta) is available. Please visit DropCount to check out the changes. A small database has been provided.
It contains the following:
48 book
1283 vendors
522 quests

As you can see, the quest-count is extremely low. Please keep the data coming by sending as requested in the first post so that the database will be first-rate.

Last edited by ybe : 04-03-10 at 03:32 PM.
04-09-10, 01:10 PM   #3
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

Version 0.54 is now available. Changes from last version (0.50) are:
[added] Updates the quests done with server-provided data
[bugfix] in profession-loot
[added] mob-update from provided database
[added] show/hide quests in maps

The major thing to note here is the mob-update. The provided database now includes mob- kills/skinning/herb/mining/salvaging.
The database is still a work in progress, and includes as of version 0.54:
48 books
1330 vendors
592 quests
4030 mobs

When logging in for the first time after installing this version, the provided database will merge with your old database, so your numbers may differ from the ones provided here.

And finally, let me stress the fact that DropCount needs your help. Please send in your databases as directed in the first post in this thread.
04-09-10, 04:02 PM   #4
Gruffness
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I am happy to see that there is a way to disable the display of quests (and presumably the npcs) on our maps. Often while in major cities and towns, my mini map is so cluttered that I can't find my way to my quest turn-ins.
04-16-10, 01:36 PM   #5
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

0.56 has been released
[fix] in guild-sharing to better support the new profession system,
[fix] quest-icon in menu has been corrected
[added] quest area information (zone-name, instance, rogue/mage/..., etc)
[database] v3, which includes 50 books, 1421 vendors, 974 quests, 3792 drop-items, 4759 creatures.

A new version of the database will be posted in the not too far future.

Please keep those databases coming. It is a fantastic help.
04-21-10, 01:27 PM   #6
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

DropCount version 0.58 is getting very close to release, and will contain these changes (unless something comes up):
o Complete code clean-up (global pollution has been removed)
o Mouse-over works again in the WorldMap. This was bugged after the new quest-system by Blizzard. Now there is the same tooltip from the WorldMap as in the minimap.
o Mouse-over for book-icons will now tell you if you have read it or not (if it is part of the "Well Read" achievement)
o Some additions to the database merge-code now allows for removal of entries. I have already registered a few things that should be removed (like skinning-drop from cows/sheeps/rabbits, and certain erroneous quest-givers), but there may be more in there that I haven't seen. If you see anything strange, please let me know. That could be anything, like drops registered to a mob that does not drop it (like leather from a skinned human) or other weird entries.

The database included will be v4, and at the time of writing it contains:
- 50 books
- 1538 vendors
- 1587 quests
- 4684 item-drops
- 5498 creatures

A note on sending your databases:
Please send your databases even if you do not have a high count of quests, or vendors, or creatures. Chances are that you may for example have more kills for some creatures than the supplied database have, and then your data is important as it will provide better drop-rate info for the creatures in question. All of the supplied databases so far have had some creatures with greatly upgraded drop-data.
Please keep that coming, even if your numbers seem to be low.

To repeat what is needed:
Your global SavedVariables file ("<WoW>/WTF/Account/<accountname>/SavedVariables" directory for XP/2000/Linux) named LootCount_DropCount.lua. Send that file to "dropcount|a|ybeweb.com". Please send the entire file without editing, and zip or rar the file if you can.
Send it to "dropcount|a|ybeweb.com". Even if you have sent your data before, you can safely send again at a later time as this will help to keep the drop-rates up to speed for everyone.
05-19-10, 01:26 PM   #7
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

Finally... The next version has been released. There are major internal changes that will be noticeable mainly by memory usage.

The biggest upgrade for you users are the new database. It contains more books, better drop-counts by mobs, and all the quests your heart could desire. There should be no problem in doing all the quest achievements by checking what quests you have not done now.

Download the latest version (v0.70) of DropCount and give it a go.

NOTE: When you log in for the first time after upgrading, a merge-process will start. Even though it is not mandatory, please let it run until it is finished. When it is done, the new contents will be available to you. How long this lasts will depend greatly on how fast computer you have and the contents of your old database.
06-16-10, 02:28 PM   #8
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

I am again working on a new version with several fixes and changes.
I haven't released it yet, as I am debugging the last stuff at the moment. It's expected within a couple of days since no problems has surfaced the last few days.
I am merely giving a heads-up for what you can expect to be released.

The main topics are:
o Faster merge of supplied data if you have a fast computer
o even better memory usage
o fixed rare bug in database read
o fixed bug in worldmap icon draw
o added repair-option for maps (show only vendors that can repair. click the minimap icon to select)
o resolved quite a few system-load issues
o added best drop-area for items

The last point is a new feature I have yet to see anywhere else.
...but then again I am not looking very hard, as I just make stuff I want myself until someone ask for something specific.
What this will do is to monitor kill-patterns, and then try to make an educated estimate as to if the place you are is a good place for the items dropped there. This data will not be player-specific, due to the method used for collecting it. It's all quite heavily heuristically (heuristic) based, so it will require, again, more data from you users when the new version is released.

And a big huge "thank you" to everyone who has supplied data for the addon. Please keep it coming. Some of you are sending your data multiple times with some time in-between, and that is actually just perfect. That keeps the database at a peek level, and ensures good quality data.

Thank you all for your effort!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention the current database. This is how it is in my test-version at the moment:
60 books (163 volumes)
1649 vendors
3128 quest-givers (that's a lot of quests)
5234 items dropped by 5527 creatures.

Many of these creatures needs thorough updates, so send you data, please.

I also acknowledge the fact that this database is getting quite unique in the WoW universe. If you decide to use its data for your addon, I can't really stop you. But I would appreciate a note of credit if you choose to use information from it. I may even help you if you contact me.

Last edited by ybe : 06-16-10 at 02:59 PM.
06-19-10, 01:39 PM   #9
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

The new version has been released. It's version 0.74, and it has a few fixes for system-load, so please download it.
A new database has been supplied as stated in my previous post.

Also, the new feature of best drop-area is included. Please go grind, and send you data to [email protected]
Your help is greatly appreciated.

The reason this can't be done by calculating it from droprates of mobs in the same area is that every area is different. Some contains this many mobs, and another contains that many mobs. This functions will take note of all that, and give you a fairly good estimate of what you can expect by grinding in a particular area.
So please send your data.
07-26-10, 05:01 PM   #10
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

Version 0.76 has been released.

The basic functionality is the same with some minor changes and bug-fixes.

The mob-list for item mouse-over has been re-made. This will now provide much better data.

Also, the database is new and greatly improved. A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to it. It houses now loads of items, mobs, books, and quests. Most mobs you will encounter should now have a fair kill-rate and a drop-list that will give sensible information.
Also, most quests you will need are in place. All achievements regarding quests should be doable.
There is also 60 books registered that will help you well on your way to the "Well Read" achievement, as well as a good starting-point for the Dalaran books.

Download and enjoy.

PS: No contributors have been publicly mentioned, and that will not happen until you give your explicit permission for me to do so. I do nevertheless appreciate your contribution as you help the addon to be a lot better.

PPS: Some contributions from non-english clients would be awesome.
09-03-10, 12:13 PM   #11
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

The next version is getting very close to release. This will be v0.80 and will, as always, have a severely updated database.

New in this release will be a GUI. A search-window has been added that enables free-text search throughout the database. For those not familiar with DropCount, that means free-text search through most available vendors' items, quests, quest-areas, creatures, items and books.
A quest-area is for example "Blackrock Depths", "Tanaris", "Priest", and so on. All quests for that will be listed.

The release is just a couple of days off. I would still like to hear ideas as to what cool stuff you would want in the search-window.
09-07-10, 01:27 PM   #12
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

A little extra info for those who want to contribute a bit more:
DropCount is on public git. We're using github, and you'll find us at http://github.com/ybe/DropCount

Now go play.
09-11-10, 02:40 PM   #13
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

Version 0.80 has been released. It now has a search-window that will search through the entire database. Want to know if "Honeymint tea" is sold anywhere near where you are? Search for it, and find the vendor closest to you. Stuff like that. Search is available for most things that adhere to DropCount.
Each found entry can be clicked to display further detailed info.

Give it a go.
12-10-10, 06:31 PM   #14
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

I am sorry to inform you all that as of next release, DropCount will have a complete wipe of its database. It's sad, considering the amount of data collected. You have all been awesome, and the database up until Cataclysm covered most of the world. It's an awesome feat.
Because of Cataclysm, most things have changed, and drop-rates are not that official on a per-mob basis from Blizzard. But with this many zones changed to new zones, and some even split, DropCount will have a fresh start.
This means we will have new opportunities with everything. The quest-part needed a serious overhaul, and will now support phasing to a large degree. That means that when the world changes around you, as it does in the new starting areas, available quests will follow that as far as it is possible.
There are other changes that may not be as apparent to a regular user.
Take our word for it - there are big changes. Most of those are internal, and we are working hard to get it all playing nicely together.

DropCount will need your help for this of course, as we have gotten so far. Our users have been quite awesome in supplying data for the World of Warcraft, and we would like that to continue.

There are changes coming in the next release, and sadly it is a bit delayed. The good thing about the new database is that it gives us the chance of redesigning the databse. And we are doing that right now.

Please have patience. A new version will be out when it is done.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Users of DropCount - Read this