07-14-19, 01:13 AM   #1
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How Do We Feel About "Alternative" Addon Managers These days?

Here is a link to the reddit post prompting this discussion:

https://old.reddit.com/r/wowaddons/c...ddon_managers/

Here is a link to the list of a dozen currently maintained alternative addon managers(Minion is one of them), the first of which clearly uses WoWI and Curse addons. I don't know if they are caching them or serving directly from WoWI/Curse's servers/CDNs.

https://github.com/ogri-la/wowman#ot...addon-managers

In fact part of the feature set of his manager is specifically to bypass monetization of addons.

I presume WoWI pays it's bills through advertising. I know Curse pays the authors of projects they host.

I remember the big firestorm of controversy years ago when WoWMatrix did this.

I can understand a manager for git hosted repos, but that is not what these are.

So what are your thoughts? Big deal? No big deal? Don't care? Tempest in a teapot? Burn em all to the ground?

Cheers!
07-14-19, 08:15 AM   #2
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

These alternatives only exist because Twitch ruined Curse. Minion is great and all, but it's only for this site, so not exactly an alternative. Minion would probably be the best if every author decided to abandon Twitch.
07-14-19, 01:06 PM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

In general, I don't care. I personally manually install everything, but that's because I'm wary of any automated process suddenly deciding to wipe my ongoing projects because it's mistaking them for addons that need to be updated.
07-14-19, 02:59 PM   #4
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
These alternatives only exist because Twitch ruined Curse. Minion is great and all, but it's only for this site, so not exactly an alternative. Minion would probably be the best if every author decided to abandon Twitch.
If only authors would abandon Twitch. The client used to be OK, now it looks like a horrible high school senior coding project from my day (Basic). lol
07-14-19, 07:05 PM   #5
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Twitch is the only platform that pays authors, via an ad revenue share, so probably not going to happen. But I expect eventually that Curse will be collateral damage; closed down because the Twitch Desktop app is not deemed profitable enough.
07-15-19, 02:53 AM   #6
MooreaTv
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Twitch is the only platform that pays authors, via an ad revenue share, so probably not going to happen. But I expect eventually that Curse will be collateral damage; closed down because the Twitch Desktop app is not deemed profitable enough.
it's not payment it's some small tip, I doubt that's what motivates authors (I mean it's nice I suppose to get stuff but you're kidding yourself if you think you are getting "a revenue share")
07-15-19, 05:49 AM   #7
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

WoWInterface hands out t-shirts to addon authors (on blizzcon) ❤
07-15-19, 07:08 AM   #8
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by MooreaTv View Post
it's not payment it's some small tip, I doubt that's what motivates authors (I mean it's nice I suppose to get stuff but you're kidding yourself if you think you are getting "a revenue share")
It appears to be the standard CPM payout of ad platforms like adsense. They certainly don't tell us any numbers but I make $ from it and there are 100+ addons more popular than mine with the top 20 being 3 - 5 times more popular/downloaded and giants like DBM 10 times more popular downloaded; plus their near daily updates keeping them very active and users constantly "engaged". It's not something to live on but also not insignificant, especially if combined with Patreon. the point is it isn't going away until, like WoW, it kills itself.

Certainly money is not why authors do it, but it's certainly a reason I personally decide to spend time updating, especially with this trash heap of an expansion and its myriad UI/API changes that came out at launch, not on alpha/beta/PTR, completely negating all point, time, effort, and work done during those periods; this expansion that I have not played since the first month of launch.
07-15-19, 01:39 PM   #9
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
WoWInterface hands out t-shirts to addon authors (on blizzcon) ❤
I thought they gave out Canadian Moose.
07-15-19, 05:01 PM   #10
Dejablue
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
Okay, now I'm jelly
07-15-19, 07:22 PM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
That reminds me ...

*goes to check her stock before heading down to BC this year, to make sure she has enough to pass out*
07-16-19, 01:26 PM   #12
LanceDH
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by MooreaTv View Post
Pretty sure it's a catch-22. People use Curse because it's where most of the add-ons are, and authors use Curse because it's where most of the people are.
And no offense, but to me Curse's add-on management for authors is a lot cleaner.
10-28-19, 09:15 PM   #13
kkot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I don't know if they are caching them or serving directly from WoWI/Curse's servers/CDNs.
wowman and the majority if not all of the managers listed serve add-ons directly from the host.

In fact part of the feature set of his manager is specifically to bypass monetization of addons.
That's not at all what it says. The add-on manager itself will not monetise the user. Downloading add-ons through wowman counts towards your rewards on CF.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How Do We Feel About "Alternative" Addon Managers These days?