03-17-12, 11:28 AM   #1
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
First UI ever created, feedback needed :)

So, I decided to make a UI of my own, after years of downloading pre-built packages, I know it's not as smooth as most that are posted here, but I'm hoping to improve through the feedback in this thread.

Edit 1: I noticed that the action bar panels were off, I've fixed that now, so no need to comment on that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_031712_182126.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	6818  

Last edited by Myridin : 03-17-12 at 11:31 AM.
03-17-12, 12:41 PM   #2
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not a big fan of the time stamps, but it looks nice and simple. Would be interested in seeing a combat/party/raid screenshot.
03-17-12, 03:17 PM   #3
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I've definitely seen so many worse interfaces. The thing about yours that strikes me as bad is that nothing is consistent. Take a hard look at something like ElvUI or TukUI and compare it to yours to see what I mean. Try using the same or similar textures, borders, etc. and keep it to one font (maybe two at most).
03-17-12, 03:32 PM   #4
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by tenub View Post
I've definitely seen so many worse interfaces. The thing about yours that strikes me as bad is that nothing is consistent. Take a hard look at something like ElvUI or TukUI and compare it to yours to see what I mean. Try using the same or similar textures, borders, etc. and keep it to one font (maybe two at most).
Thanks for the reply, I've tried changing the font from the AldamageMeter, but in the lua coding, when I edited that, nothing happened. I'm very new to the scene, so would be eager to learn how to change stuff in lua, some settings that are true/false, are pretty obvious ofcourse, but the harder stuff still strikes me as impossible.

Regarding the consistency, I have no idea how I would go about and do that, I thought there was an addon called Skinner that did that, but I wasn't able to find it on this website. Perhaps something with SharedMedia, but I have no idea how that works.
03-17-12, 04:10 PM   #5
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
Not a big fan of the time stamps, but it looks nice and simple. Would be interested in seeing a combat/party/raid screenshot.
Ah, yes, I will provide that, I currently have xCT set up the same way as Haaleth's FreeUI. As you can see, I don't have any nameplates yet, because I didn't find any that matched the style of the UI, and didn't like TidyPlates.

The Chat Tabs are a mess as well. Haven't decided what to do with NibChatTabs yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_031712_225408.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	6819  
03-17-12, 05:34 PM   #6
XanadarEU
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Hoxha View Post
Thanks for the reply, I've tried changing the font from the AldamageMeter, but in the lua coding, when I edited that, nothing happened. I'm very new to the scene, so would be eager to learn how to change stuff in lua, some settings that are true/false, are pretty obvious ofcourse, but the harder stuff still strikes me as impossible.

Regarding the consistency, I have no idea how I would go about and do that, I thought there was an addon called Skinner that did that, but I wasn't able to find it on this website. Perhaps something with SharedMedia, but I have no idea how that works.
If your using various different add-ons it's pretty simple with shared media. I've started getting really anal with the continuity around my UI's atm and there are some fantastic bar textures and fonts to be found with the likes of SharedMedia. Then it's just a matter of going into you individual add-ons and selecting the same one across all of them. Seems like a really small thing to think about but you'll notice a massive change once you've done it!
03-17-12, 05:37 PM   #7
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by XanadarEU View Post
If your using various different add-ons it's pretty simple with shared media. I've started getting really anal with the continuity around my UI's atm and there are some fantastic bar textures and fonts to be found with the likes of SharedMedia. Then it's just a matter of going into you individual add-ons and selecting the same one across all of them. Seems like a really small thing to think about but you'll notice a massive change once you've done it!
Yeah, that would be the case, it's just a matter of finding a decent SharedMedia tutorial and how I can create consistency throughout the entire UI.
03-17-12, 06:46 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Not all addons use the LibSharedMedia library for fonts, textures, etc. It sounds like perhaps you have some addons that don't. In this case, the solutions are to change the font used in the Lua (as you have tried, though we'll need more detail from you if you want help with getting it to work ) or manually override the default game fonts.

http://www.vranx.com/font.htm
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-17-12, 06:47 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Hoxha View Post
... it's just a matter of finding a decent SharedMedia tutorial and how I can create consistency throughout the entire UI.
You don't need a tutorial. SharedMedia is an addon that contains a bunch of fonts and textures, and registers them with the LibSharedMedia-3.0 library, which most addons support for sharing fonts and/or textures.

You just install SharedMedia like any other addon, and then go into the options for each of your other addons, and change the font and/or texture options to use the same ones.

If you find that one of your addons doesn't support SharedMedia, there is almost certainly another addon you could use that does, or you could ask its author to add support.

If you want to add your own custom fonts or textures, then you will need to write a very tiny amount of code, but the instructions are all in the README file inside the SharedMedia addon folder, and are very straightforward.
03-17-12, 06:56 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You don't even have to write code. Just run the MyMedia.bat file.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-17-12, 07:26 PM   #11
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Actually, the instructions for adding media to SharedMedia are right in the SharedMedia folder that is in your "AddOns" folder. it's called "INSTRUCTIONS for MyMedia". It's a plain text file so you won't need anything extra to open and read it. It's a really simple way to keep your own additions to the SharedMedia addon when there is an update to it.

Just to make sure, here, we're talking about SharedMedia by Elkano (and, apparently, a couple of other folks), right?

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
03-18-12, 04:35 AM   #12
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Actually, the instructions for adding media to SharedMedia are right in the SharedMedia folder that is in your "AddOns" folder. it's called "INSTRUCTIONS for MyMedia". It's a plain text file so you won't need anything extra to open and read it. It's a really simple way to keep your own additions to the SharedMedia addon when there is an update to it.

Just to make sure, here, we're talking about SharedMedia by Elkano (and, apparently, a couple of other folks), right?
That version was last updated in November 2011, is it still compatible with 4.3?
03-18-12, 01:33 PM   #13
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Yep. SharedMedia remains compatible.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » First UI ever created, feedback needed :)