04-29-09, 01:36 PM   #1
oimmuk
An Aku'mai Servant
Umm...is it ready yet?

I really hate to ask this but I cannot seem to find it to try it out only the old one which to me is a PITA to use. I may be jumping the gun here and it may not be available to us yet but I really am anxious to try it.
04-29-09, 02:13 PM   #2
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

If it was ready there would be an announcement.
04-29-09, 02:19 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We will most definitely let everyone know when it is ready for the open beta testing.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-29-09, 04:55 PM   #4
attackfrog
A Murloc Raider
Just found this forum and things are looking good. As the Curse updater is now pretty much useless to me, I can't wait until this is released! I always liked Wowinterface better anyways
04-30-09, 12:51 PM   #5
Penguar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
We will most definitely let everyone know when it is ready for the open beta testing.
You might want to try to release it very soon. Curse just started charging $2.5 a month (or more with less than a year subscription) for the privledge of updating addons from authors who dont work for them. Even though they bombard you with ads on the free version, it has no autoupdate capabilities and forces you to update one addon at a time. Pathetic.

So now is your chance, considering they just started doing it, to take over their userbase from people that are unhappy (and there are a lot of us). Release it now, even though not quite ready, and let the user community work with you. I suspect all of us will be patient (less some).

Michael
04-30-09, 01:28 PM   #6
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Releasing it when its not ready would be very bad. It would get labeled as a piece of junk forever. Even when the bugs are fixed. Just like when an MMO releases too early.
04-30-09, 01:31 PM   #7
Penguar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Releasing it when its not ready would be very bad. It would get labeled as a piece of junk forever. Even when the bugs are fixed. Just like when an MMO releases too early.

That is what beta is about - releasing software that isnt quite ready. It depends on how not ready - but beta is beta and considering the state of most addons and limitatinos and problems, I suspect this community would accept a few features being worked on or disabled initially. I know I would, and I am software engineer and long time software developer.
04-30-09, 01:38 PM   #8
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unfortunately, you could have a twenty-foot blinking sign that screamed "BETA!" and most end-users would still condemn the release version based on the beta's flaws.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
04-30-09, 01:49 PM   #9
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Unfortunately, you could have a twenty-foot blinking sign that screamed "BETA!" and most end-users would still condemn the release version based on the beta's flaws.
You have to even consider the fact that a lot of wow players don't even know what beta means. I even have a few guildies that don't know how to make macro's because all they care about is play the game and auto updating addons.
04-30-09, 02:51 PM   #10
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
soon (tm)
04-30-09, 03:08 PM   #11
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I think the ratio for casual gamers versus hardcore gamers in WoW could be 2:1. Casual gamers are usually computer illiterate whereas hardcore gamers usually aren't.
04-30-09, 03:52 PM   #12
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
You have to even consider the fact that a lot of wow players don't even know what beta means.
There are a lot of authors who don't know what it means either. Honestly, what ISN'T in beta for WoW? Get my point? Release versions are "rarely" that. This includes the game itself and a majority of mods written for it. This isn't a criticism, just an observation that "beta" is a term that I believe has lost its "true" meaning in the WoW community.

Quite frankly, as poorly as 3.1 runs, you'd think it was a paid beta.
04-30-09, 03:57 PM   #13
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
Casual gamers are usually computer illiterate whereas hardcore gamers usually aren't.
Eh, not for nothing but that sounds backwards. Hardcore gamers remember making boot disks to get your games running. Hardcore gamers, especially early adopters of various games, have often times been forced to become a computer technician to get games running. Hardcore gamers build their own machines to stay ahead of developer bloat, etc. Hardcore gamers will obsess over technical issues until resolution or work-arounds are found.

Casual gamers are fine and many grow into hardcore gamers, but I just thought this was a little backwards.
04-30-09, 04:07 PM   #14
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Eh, not for nothing but that sounds backwards. Hardcore gamers remember making boot disks to get your games running. Hardcore gamers, especially early adopters of various games, have often times been forced to become a computer technician to get games running. Hardcore gamers build their own machines to stay ahead of developer bloat, etc. Hardcore gamers will obsess over technical issues until resolution or work-arounds are found.

Casual gamers are fine and many grow into hardcore gamers, but I just thought this was a little backwards.
Umm.. Rep... You might want to read the post again. He said "most casual gamers are computer ILliterate"...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-30-09, 04:20 PM   #15
sensory
A Fallenroot Satyr

Don't push them to release it to Beta too fast. Just.. don't.

They'll release it when they feel it's ready to be released.
04-30-09, 04:51 PM   #16
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
Umm.. Rep... You might want to read the post again. He said "most casual gamers are computer ILliterate"...
Hmm. The only thing I can think of is I'm running low on bacon. Yep, that's certainly it. I've had way too much greenery and roughage the past week. This is what happens when a paladin cleanses!

Did I mention damn Tekkub? Damn him and his high-falootin' bacon button straight to hell!
04-30-09, 04:54 PM   #17
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Hmm.
Did I mention damn Tekkub? Damn him and his high-falootin' bacon button straight to hell!
Ahhh... gotta love a good Planet of the (bacon) Apes reference!

PS. Please don't ever mention "Paladin cleansing" in the O-forums. We already have more than enough poop-quests as it is!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

Last edited by voodoodad : 04-30-09 at 04:56 PM.
05-02-09, 08:22 PM   #18
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I was in a public bathroom with a hand dryer a few days ago. I saw an icon similar to Tekkub's avatar and laughed.
05-02-09, 08:36 PM   #19
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

99% sure that is where it came from.

See this:

05-02-09, 08:37 PM   #20
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
"It's ready when it's ready."

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Umm...is it ready yet?