04-21-10, 01:28 AM   #1
Malhemoth
A Murloc Raider
Question KGpanels and stUF

This is a 2 question post:

1) I'm comfortable using KGpanels and I'm trying to push my creative limits with it. I set up stUF and other elements of my UI as I want them, and now I want to use photoshop and create a UI over the screenshot. I'm using a 1920x1080 resolution.

I'm aware of the 2^ limits and I'm wondering what the best way to approach this is. Resizing the screenshot or the final image? Also what is the best way to cut up the final product into segments in such a way that I can seamlessly piece them together in KGpanels?

This is the screenshot in question:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_MKy-B_4w0A4/S8...110_165535.jpg

2) if look to the left hand side you'll see my arena and raid boss frames. I plan on drawing out a decorative panel for these two elements to share. I know that they can be scripted to pop up only on certain events. In this case the events would be upon entering an arena, or whatever triggers the raid boss UI (Think princes fight.)

My issue is that I am extremely unfamiliar with scripting. I'm hoping somone would be so kind as to help me out with that. How would I go about making a particular panel pop up for both of the aforementioned events?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to learning from the wealth of compiled knowledge that is WoWInterface.
04-21-10, 02:46 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you know the name of the frame you can parent the panel to the unit frame and when the frame is hidden the panel will hide with it.

Put this in a macro:
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetMouseFocus():GetName());

Then hover over the bar you want to parent to and hit the macro to find out its name. For StUF you can do this in the configuration mode.

Then enter the name of the frame in to the boxes that currently say UIParent in them. Then then re-size and nudge as needed.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-21-10, 05:01 AM   #3
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can also do this:

Code:
/dump GetMouseFocus():GetName()
Or for more information about the frame:

Code:
/dump GetMouseFocus()

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
04-21-10, 12:21 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Or even

/framestack
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-21-10, 03:13 PM   #5
Malhemoth
A Murloc Raider
Excellent, that solves my second question. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Now, does anyone have any tips or tricks for designing a layout on top of their UI?

Namely the best way to divide the artwork up into pieces that won't leave any seams?
04-21-10, 08:57 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Image files can be up to 1024 pixels. If your image quality is good, then you can just scale up from there. If you prefer to break the image into smaller parts, then first start working with a canvas that is (for example) 1024. After you're finished creating the UI art, resize your canvas (say, to 512) and select to crop the picture, keeping it anchored to the bottom left corner. Save the result, undo the resize, then do it again cropping to the bottom right corner. (This is with PS, btw.)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » KGpanels and stUF