06-02-09, 02:48 PM   #1
shanley42
A Murloc Raider
Pardon me?

I was NOT pleased when I finally got Minion working and it installed a bucketload of unwanted addons without even asking me. If this how things are going to be done, all my addons hosted by WoW Interface will be removed and I'll stick to those that I get from other sources.
06-02-09, 02:58 PM   #2
Farm Fresh
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by shanley42 View Post
I was NOT pleased when I finally got Minion working and it installed a bucketload of unwanted addons without even asking me. If this how things are going to be done, all my addons hosted by WoW Interface will be removed and I'll stick to those that I get from other sources.
So let me get this straight.

You download a BETA, knowing full well that it is buggy, and you accept the agreement on installation that this is a possibility.

It backfires, so instead of deleting the addons and possibly helping to fix things, you flip out and THREATEN the makers that you will remove your addons from the site. Think about things before you post them instead of ranting to get your frustration out.
06-02-09, 03:03 PM   #3
Daelic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
So, several warnings that this is BETA software, could cause issues, and suggesting that you should backup your interface didn't sink in? I'm hardly inclined to feel sorry for you, especially considering your blatant disregard for the numerous warnings.

If you're not prepared to take bugs in stride while giving constructive feedback, you might be better off waiting until the bugs are worked out before using minion.

In any case, this particular issue is well reported in these forums, and has been considerably improved upon thanks to the many people who gave constructive feedback, rather than just stamping their feet and throwing a tantrum.
06-02-09, 03:08 PM   #4
shanley42
A Murloc Raider
I'm not flipping out, but I am displeased (well maybe I'm a little PO'd, it took me half an hour to fix my UI). It also seems highly suspicious to me that 20+ addons and dependencies were installed problem free and were almost all duplicating functions that my non WoW Interface-hosted addons were performing.

And I apologize if my statement was unclear. I don't develop addons. I meant that I will not use addons hosted by WoW:I if I can determine that this was intentional behaviour and not a coincidental set or errors.
06-02-09, 03:10 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Minion is in Beta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_version#Beta

Notice the part that states: "The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software. They receive the software for free or for a reduced price, but act as free testers."

If you use Minion at this point in time, then you agree to be a beta tester knowing full well that there are bugs. In fact, being a beta tester means you actually let them know about bugs when you find them.
06-02-09, 03:14 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

And I apologize if my statement was unclear. I don't develop addons. I meant that I will not use addons hosted by WoW:I if I can determine that this was intentional behaviour and not a coincidental set or errors.
Seriously? How exactly will you determine this? Please tell me you have other means aside from reading all of the bug reports in the Minion forum.
06-02-09, 03:16 PM   #7
Daelic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
if I can determine that this was intentional behaviour and not a coincidental set or errors.

The parser that matches addons in your interface folder with addons on the website was/is behaving too loosely. There are several threads about the issue, but this is one that can be seen at a glance on the first page of posts:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...t=24089&page=2

Another issue is version mismatches for addons that are multi-hosted. (e.g cartographer, which is on curse, but has an older version here on wowui)

Neither behavior is intentional, they are bugs... they have been acknowledged, and are being worked on by the poor lone developer who agreed to take this project on.
06-02-09, 03:20 PM   #8
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I'm not flipping out, but I am displeased (well maybe I'm a little PO'd, it took me half an hour to fix my UI). It also seems highly suspicious to me that 20+ addons and dependencies were installed problem free and were almost all duplicating functions that my non WoW Interface-hosted addons were performing.

Leave your indignation at the door, please.

If the Beta software isn't supporting your needs, and you are more interested in throwing a fit than helping the debugging process, just uninstall it and go back to however you were updating addons before then.

There's about 8 threads, plus bug reports, that describe your behavior, why it's happening, and some fixes under consideration.

Last edited by forty2j : 06-02-09 at 03:21 PM. Reason: I fail at conjugation
06-02-09, 03:34 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
(Green bolded text my addition, for emphasis.)
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
< snip >
  • General Minion Usage (including installation instructions) and information on how to submit Bug Reports is here.
  • To discuss Minion, please go to this forum.
  • If you are interesting in writing modules for Minion, please see this forum for the API and general dev discussion.
Please note: Since this is a Beta release, we fully expect that there will be some bugs and you should too. This is not a finished product. Please be prepared to deal with the possibility of problems, or wait until we release the finished version. Be sure to make a backup of your AddOn and WTF folders before running Minion.
(Green boxes my addition, for emphasis.)

Bug tracker, showing this already being reported and worked on: http://www.mmoui.com/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php

Mutliple threads in this forum, showing this already being reported and worked on:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24340

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24089

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24219

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24031

There are many more, but I don't think I really need to link any more of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	2783  Click image for larger version

Name:	app.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2785  Click image for larger version

Name:	installation.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	2786  
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 06-02-09 at 03:38 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Pardon me?