01-08-07, 06:59 PM   #1
Flickerstreak
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Arrow Request: SecureTemplate access for forgotten protected functions

There are quite a few "forgotten" protected functions which don't have any secure template access (and really need it):

- StopAttack()
- TogglePetAutocast()
- PetStopAttack()
- PetAggressiveMode/DefensiveMode/PassiveMode/Follow/Wait()
- CastShapeshiftForm()

And that's only in the action button domain.

Really, all protected functions should have some sort of secure template access, unless they're very specifically (and carefully) excluded completely from AddOn use (e.g. TurnOrMoveStart()). Ideally, it should be possible for an author to completely rewrite the default interface without using any Blizzard code other than secure templates. Currently that is not possible (shapeshift bar and pet bar) due to the exclusion of any non-tainted path to the above functions.

Now, some of these (e.g. TogglePetAutocast) you can work around by using a "click" action handler which clicks the (hidden?) original default UI button ... but that's about as elegant as swatting a fly with a Buick and it only works in certain scenarios.

Basically it's an artifact of not converting all the Blizzard UI code (see PetActionBarFrame.lua for example) to use the new security model: the blanket permission for all blizzard code to be trusted means that inevitably lots of these types of functions fall through the cracks. If the trusted files were reduced to Bindings.xml, SecureTemplates.lua, and SecureStateHeader.lua, that would be a preferable model.

Here's an example of how you could modify SecureButton_OnClick() to perform all the functionality listed above:

Code:
elseif ( type == "pet" ) then
  local action = SecureButton_GetModifiedAttribute(self, "action", button);
  local autocast = SecureButton_GetModifiedAttribute(self, "autocast", button);
  if ( action ) then
    if ( autocast ) then
      TogglePetAutocast(action)
    elsef ( IsPetAttackActive(action) ) then
      PetStopAttack();
    else
      CastPetAction(action);
    end
  else
    local mode = SecureButton_GetModifiedAttribute(self, "mode", button);
    if mode == "aggressive" then
      PetModeAggressive()
    elseif mode == "passive" then
      PetModePassive()
    elseif mode == "defensive" then
      PetModeDefensive()
    end
  end

elseif ( type == "shapeshift" ) then
  local action = SecureButton_GetModifiedAttribute(self, "action", button);
  if action then
    CastShapeshiftForm(action)
  end

Last edited by Flickerstreak : 01-10-07 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added implementation example, removed PlaceAction from the list since it's not actually protected
10-08-08, 01:39 PM   #2
BDelacroix
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Necro warning!!! Yes, I'm bringing this back up because this needs to be done especially with the advent of the 3.0 patch that comes with a lot more than just 4 active pet abilities.

Building a better pet bar isn't difficult. Its just the fact that you can't build it with the pet attack/defend/passive etc. buttons for the simple fact that there is no secure access to these protected functions.
10-09-08, 11:39 AM   #3
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Well, you can actually. I have done it very easily. However, I do agree that the Secure Template could be fleshed out to be more all inclusive.

But almost all of the about functions, if not all, can be done via a button with adding type macro and macrotext.

Here is a little snippet of my code in Macaroon for pet buttons, slightly modified to be clearer -

button:SetAttribute("type1", "pet")
button:SetAttribute("type2", "macro")
button:SetAttribute("*action1", "[#]") - pet action number
button:SetAttribute("*macrotext2", "/petautocasttoggle "..petspell)

Through extensive testing these buttons work and behave like the default UI pet buttons. They are not the default UI pet buttons re-parented to Macaroon frames.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
10-09-08, 03:52 PM   #4
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

For pet actions, why not just inherit from the PetActionButtonTemplate, and set your button IDs to the appropriate values to trigger the needed pet actions?

Same with shapeshift actions - inherit from ShapeshiftButtonTemplate.

And for more complex operations, I guess you can either use the "click" or "macro" attribute style approaches.

In other words, although having secure template access to every protected function would make coding some things simpler, if there's already a default way to do things from a UI button perspective, then there's probably already a way to do it in an addon by some clever method

-- Cirk
10-11-08, 07:49 PM   #5
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Well, in Trinity Bars I did just that, I used the Blizz templates. However, in Macaroon, I needed to approach things a bit different for various reasons.

But it is possible to create buttons that behave how they are expected to behave (based on how they are in the default UI) via secure templates. It is just not a straight forward as the above suggestion

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Request: SecureTemplate access for forgotten protected functions