03-16-15, 01:54 AM   #1
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
I have over 60 addos - is it worth combining them?

I run WoW on an older machine, and cpu cycles are precious. It takes me a *loooongggg* time for WoW to start up, and moving from zone to zone gets really painful at times. I've asked, before, if having many addons would be a cause of this, and told 'no, I run lots more with no problems'. Still, this is one of the main differences between my husband and I - we're running on the same age machines (both scavenged from his work when there was a hardware upgrade), and his transitions are much faster.

I've been thinking, for a while, about seeing if there are common files - libraries, for example - that are included in multiple addons, and how removing extraneous copies would change any of this behavior. Before I start, tho, I am hoping someone can give me a basic 'yes, it's likely to help' or 'no, you'll break everything' or some other helpful advice about the value of doing this, and possibly pointers to any information that would make it smoother and/or more likely to succeed. No, getting a new machine is not a viable option.

I use my 'favorites' list to keep track of addons I might be interested in, see where they're going when they're not quite useful to me. Addons I am currently using: (Ones I only use on some toons are *)

ACP, All Your Base, Altoholic, Analyst, Archy, Armory, Auctioneer Suite, AutoRepair (from Curse), Awwwww!, BadBoy, BadBoy_CCleaner, BelowAverageItems, BetterTooltips, BIndsWhen, BodyguardFocusAlert*, BOPCraftConfirm, BulkOrder*, Compass, CritterEmote (from Curse), DarkmoonProfessional, DragEmAll, Dresser, Elephant, Engravings, Exonumist, FactionAddict, FishingBuddy, FlightMapEnhanced, GarrisonMissionManager*, Gatherer, GemHelper, GoFish, Grail, GuildRosterButtons, InFlight, KeepingTabs, LagBar, LegacyQuest, LightHeaded, Linkerize, Livestock, MasterPlan*, MerchantFilterButtons, MetaMap, MicroMenu, Overachiever, Pawn, Petleash, Postal, QuestPlates, QuickQuestItem, RangeDisplay, SanityCheck, SilverDragon, SimpleDing, SimpleGold, Squirrels, StoreBeGone, TabardAddict, TinyPad, TomTom, TrackOMatic, TradeSkillDW, TrainAll, Who Framed Watcher Wabbit?, Wholly, Wowhead Garrison Timer*, ZoneAchievementTracker.

Addons I have installed to use sometimes:

AddonUsage, BattlePetAbilityTooltips, CandyBuckets, WarcraftPetsExpress

Yes, I realize that doing this will mean I have to keep track of each addon as I update it.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Barleduq
03-16-15, 02:48 AM   #2
Dorwido
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Removing extra copies of those shared libs wont help at all, they are loaded only once even multiple addons include it.

And if it is only the loading screens taking longer but there is not a fps while playing itself I wouldnt bother at all to find an addon doing that.

My one taking 10-15s on a login/reload prolly would be faster without addons, but can play on very high settings with 100fps without problems and thats what matters :-P

If there is a fps problem in certain situation then something like AddonUsage is usefull, wipe the data produce the situation in which you get a fps drop and look what addon use abnormal high cpu, bad written addons can make you lag hard, remember long time back after every kill a 1-2s freeze which were produced by an addon.
03-16-15, 02:52 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

De-duplicating libraries will help a little bit, but not much; however, you don't need to manually go through all your addons and pull out the libraries, and you definitely shouldn't just delete the duplicates. If you want to see how much difference it makes, I'd suggest using the Curse Client, and enabling the "Install libraries separately" option, then click the "Reset All" button next to that option, then "updating" all of your addons to reinstall the latest version of each one with the libraries installed as separate addons. You may find that some addons still have libraries inside (even ones from Curse) -- those addons may not be configured properly to use standalone libraries, so you should just leave them alone. I don't anticipate that this will make much difference though. The last time I experimented, I was using about 200 addons, and switching to standalone libraries only reduced loading time by about 10-15%.

However, based on your list, I'd guess that the majority of the time you spend staring at loading screens is taken up by just a few of your addons. I can personally attest to Grail/Wholly and TomTom being very slow loaders (Grail/Wholly due to the massive amount of data it loads, and TomTom because of the Astrolabe library), and I'd guess several of your other addons with large databases (Altoholic, Engravings, Gatherer, LightHeaded, maybe some others) are probably also fairly slow.

You can use Warmup to see how long each addon is taking to load, but keep in mind that (a) running Warmup makes everything load 2-4x slower, and (b) load times for addons loading libraries will be somewhat inaccurate, especially for the first addon loading a given library, but you should be able to get a general idea of which addons are taking the most time to load. Don't forget to disable it when you're done, as it drastically increases loading times across the board.
03-16-15, 06:19 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Also check your Log folder for a file called FrameXML.log. If you see any addons listing load errors report the errors to the addon author.
03-16-15, 09:08 AM   #5
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Also check your Log folder for a file called FrameXML.log. If you see any addons listing load errors report the errors to the addon author.
Wish blizz would check the file, too
Code:
3/16 05:44:25.645  FrameXML is modified or corrupt
3/16 05:44:25.645  ** Loading table of contents Interface\FrameXML\FrameXML.toc
3/16 05:44:25.645  ++ Loading file Interface\FrameXML\ContainerFrame.xml
3/16 05:44:25.645  BagItemSearchBox: FontString element overriding font ChatFontNormal
3/16 05:44:25.645  ++ Loading file Interface\FrameXML\BankFrame.xml
3/16 05:44:25.645  BankItemSearchBox: FontString element overriding font ChatFontNormal
3/16 05:44:25.645  Frame ReagentBankFrameUnlockInfo: Unknown function 0 in element OnShow
3/16 05:44:25.645  ++ Loading file Interface\FrameXML\WorldMapFrame.xml
3/16 05:44:25.645  WorldMapFrameTexture13: Couldn't find relative frame: $parentTexture9
3/16 05:44:25.645  WorldMapFrameTexture14: Couldn't find relative frame: $parentTexture11
3/16 05:44:25.645  WorldMapFrameTexture15: Couldn't find relative frame: $parentTexture12
3/16 05:44:25.645  WorldMapFrameTexture16: Couldn't find relative frame: $parentTexture3
3/16 05:44:25.645  WorldMapFrameTexture17: Couldn't find relative frame: $parentTexture4
3/16 05:44:25.645  WorldMapFrameTexture18: Couldn't find relative frame: $parentTexture9
3/16 05:44:25.645  ++ Loading file Interface\FrameXML\LFDFrame.xml
3/16 05:44:25.645  Frame LFDRoleCheckPopupDescription: Unknown function 0 in element OnEnter
3/16 05:44:25.645  ++ Loading file Interface\FrameXML\LFGList.xml
3/16 05:44:25.645  <unnamed>: FontString element overriding font ChatFontNormal
3/16 05:44:25.645  Loading add-on Blizzard_PetBattleUI
3/16 05:44:25.645  ** Loading table of contents Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_PetBattleUI\Blizzard_PetBattleUI.toc
3/16 05:44:25.645  ++ Loading file Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_PetBattleUI\Blizzard_PetBattleUI.xml
3/16 05:44:25.645  Frame PetBattlePrimaryUnitTooltip: Unknown script element OnClick
3/16 05:44:25.645  Loading add-on Panda
3/16 05:44:25.645  ** Loading table of contents Interface\AddOns\Panda\Panda.toc
3/16 05:44:25.645  Error loading Interface\AddOns\Panda\tekIDmemo.lua
3/16 05:44:36.131  Loading add-on Blizzard_AuctionUI
3/16 05:44:36.131  ** Loading table of contents Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_AuctionUI\Blizzard_AuctionUI.toc
3/16 05:44:36.131  ++ Loading file Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_AuctionUI\Blizzard_AuctionUI.xml
3/16 05:44:36.131  BrowseName: FontString element overriding font ChatFontNormal
3/16 05:44:36.131  BrowseName: FontString element overriding font GameFontHighlightSmall
3/16 05:44:36.344  Loading add-on Blizzard_GarrisonUI
3/16 05:44:36.344  ** Loading table of contents Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_GarrisonUI\Blizzard_GarrisonUI.toc
3/16 05:44:36.344  ++ Loading file Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_GarrisonUI\Blizzard_GarrisonMissionUI.xml
3/16 05:44:36.344  <unnamed>: FontString element overriding font ChatFontNormal
3/16 05:44:36.344  Unknown: anchored to itself: LocBack
3/16 05:44:36.344  Frame GarrisonMissionMechanicTooltip: Unknown script element OnTooltipSetDefaultAnchor
3/16 05:44:36.344  Frame GarrisonMissionMechanicTooltip: Unknown script element OnTooltipAddMoney
3/16 05:44:36.344  Frame GarrisonMissionMechanicTooltip: Unknown script element OnTooltipCleared
3/16 05:44:36.344  Frame GarrisonMissionMechanicFollowerCounterTooltip: Unknown script element OnTooltipSetDefaultAnchor
3/16 05:44:36.344  Frame GarrisonMissionMechanicFollowerCounterTooltip: Unknown script element OnTooltipAddMoney
3/16 05:44:36.344  Frame GarrisonMissionMechanicFollowerCounterTooltip: Unknown script element OnTooltipCleared
3/16 05:44:36.344  ++ Loading file Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_GarrisonUI\Blizzard_GarrisonLandingPage.xml
3/16 05:44:36.344  ++ Loading file Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_GarrisonUI\Blizzard_GarrisonRecruiterUI.xml
03-16-15, 11:58 AM   #6
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Phanx is right, you should disable every addon that uses Astrolabe (tomtom, archy, gatherer) and see how much of a difference that makes, then disable the addons with giant databases like Lightheaded and Grail.

I know you don't want to play without any of your addons, but for now you'll have to decide whether you prefer them or faster load times.
03-16-15, 02:04 PM   #7
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
This is something I did not know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Phanx is right, you should disable every addon that uses Astrolabe (tomtom, archy, gatherer) and see how much of a difference that makes, then disable the addons with giant databases like Lightheaded and Grail.

I know you don't want to play without any of your addons, but for now you'll have to decide whether you prefer them or faster load times.
I love TomTom and Lightheaded. Are there better alternatives?
03-16-15, 03:50 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
Wish blizz would check the file, too
Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post

If you asked them to clean it up their response would be... Soon©®™.

Soon: Copyright 2004-2015 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
03-17-15, 11:57 PM   #9
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
OP replies, adds more.

a) Re: Using curse client: If I wanted to fuss with the curse client under Wine, I wouldn't be here on WoW Interface at all.

b) I have both AddonUsage and Warmup installed but disabled. The directory I used to generate that list doesn't have them in it. Not sure why, as it's supposedly it has the most recent copy of all my installed addons. Apparently I didn't catch something in my MoP expac directory.

c) I will try disabling the Astrolabe addons, but my goal in this effort is to find out what I can do *other* than disabling daily/all-toon-useful addons.

d) Long loading screens are annoying. But what's more annoying is that every time I /reload, I get disconnected. And if I'm (for example) flying, even on system taxi, and change zones (Stormwind to Elwynn Forest, to Duskwood, to Deadwind Pass (ran through Kara last night), running Lunarfall to anywhere) my screen freezes for 10-30 seconds, sometimes longer. That usually does *not* disconnect me, but on rare occasions has done so. (Going to Eventide Landing is VERY annoying, cause it's possible to hit the edge of the Lunarfall zone and wedge 5 times in 20 steps.)

e) I rarely have FPS higher than 20, and usually more in the 10-15 range, and lower in places such as Stormwind Trade District. As that is consistent with my husband's experience, I assume that's the age of our machines. Yes, we have upgraded the graphics cards to the best we can afford, and have the best drivers we can find for them. (A few months ago we were getting errors from Blizz about our graphics card drivers, and upgraded as required.) One of the primary reasons I don't even try to raid is that all the flashing spells/lights/etc can bring me down to 2-5 fps, which makes me pretty much useless - it limits how fast I can activate spells/abilities, so mostly I'm running on autoattack. It's also the main reason I do ranged dps, since being able to find and keep close to a given mob is difficult, at best, and often well-nigh impossible especially in dungeons.

I don't *think* that our internet connection - a DSL line - is responsible here. Husband doesn't get disconnected. When the 2 kids were still playing wow, they have modern laptops (windows 7 and 8, i believe) and they didn't get disconnected, and apparently didn't have problems raiding. One kid had installed Auctioneer, and had dropped it cause it was lagging her every time an item dropped. (or perhaps she moused over the item, I'm not sure)

Sometime in the next few days I'll dl the latest version of both AddonUsage and Warmup and see what they tell me.

One more thing: is there a difference between having an addon installed but disabled, and removing the addon altogether? For example, I have Enchantrix enabled only on my auction/bank alt (to know what's useful for what), my enchanter, my alchemist and my JC. I have it disabled for others. I have all the garrison addons disabled for the toons that aren't in Draenor. I have a profile on Archy for the toons that do not have archaeology trained, which I *think* has things turned off. I've noticed, lately, that Wholly/Grail only activate on the first quest I turn in. (First thing when I login, running solo dungeons that I've done before, for example - no quests to turn in; finish dungeon, go back to questing, notice the grail 'retrieving' messages in chat.)

Last edited by Barleduq : 03-18-15 at 12:01 AM. Reason: more stuff.
03-18-15, 12:12 AM   #10
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Just DLed AddonUsage and Warmup - from the github, Phanx, thank you. I presume the 'download zip' button on that page gives me the same sort of zipfolder as from WoWInterface? I DLed something from there a while back and while it was in my AddOns folder, I never saw it ingame. Since I had the functionality elsewhere, I just deleted it. (There were a bunch of addons on the Who Framed Watcher Wabbit? page, to get around the inability to use a quest item from the quest objectives thingie on screen. I don't remember what it was called, but the one on Github never worked.)

(BTW, Phanx, re browsers mentioned in another thread, I found Midori, and it seems to have far fewer issues with WoWInterface than Opera. It's got some Issues, but they aren't any more annoying than various things in Opera. It still doesn't load Curse.com, tho.
03-18-15, 01:17 AM   #11
10leej
A Molten Giant

I discovered your issues. Your running WoW via Wine. So here's a couple answers from my experience using wine on archlinux.

A) Don't bother with curse client on wine. I've never gotten it working, however minion does but even then it's easier just to manually install the addons.

E) Thats because while there is a blizz dev working to make the game run on Wine that doesn't mean the game is ment tio be run on wine. I have a wimilar issue on my 3rd gen i5 desktop where I only get 30fps while windows I get 90+ regardless of wine version. You could try running the opengl graphics rather than directx if your not already doing so (windows users with fps issues can try this as well). You could also try the recommended performance tweaks in wine as well. (yes link sare to archlinux wiki but this is general info for WoW and WINE)

Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post
(BTW, Phanx, re browsers mentioned in another thread, I found Midori, and it seems to have far fewer issues with WoWInterface than Opera. It's got some Issues, but they aren't any more annoying than various things in Opera. It still doesn't load Curse.com, tho.
Opera's support for Linux is.... just plain bad. Chrome runs fine if your against using chrome use chromium its open source sister. Altrernateively curse.com load fine in firefox, iceweasel, qupzilla, and vivaldi

Or run curse from elinks. Yes it works.

Just DLed AddonUsage and Warmup - from the github, Phanx, thank you. I presume the 'download zip' button on that page gives me the same sort of zipfolder as from WoWInterface?
Yes it's the same package

I DLed something from there a while back and while it was in my AddOns folder, I never saw it ingame
You installed it incorrectly most likely. however you said you removed it so im not gonna worry about it

Last edited by 10leej : 03-18-15 at 01:29 AM.
03-18-15, 02:11 AM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
I discovered your issues. Your running WoW via Wine. So here's a couple answers from my experience using wine on archlinux.

A) Don't bother with curse client on wine. I've never gotten it working, however minion does but even then it's easier just to manually install the addons.
One of the things I love about Linux is that the file managers (Nautilus, Thunar, Dolphin) could be customized. This includes putting shortcuts to folders in your sidebar which makes the manual extraction process of AddOns easy. Just unpack, then drag and drop the files onto your AddOns short cut. Microsoft has the same thing in Explorer now, however I prefer the behavior of Thunar (my file manager of choice on Linux)

E) Thats because while there is a blizz dev working to make the game run on Wine that doesn't mean the game is ment tio be run on wine. I have a wimilar issue on my 3rd gen i5 desktop where I only get 30fps while windows I get 90+ regardless of wine version. You could try running the opengl graphics rather than directx if your not already doing so (windows users with fps issues can try this as well). You could also try the recommended performance tweaks in wine as well. (yes link sare to archlinux wiki but this is general info for WoW and WINE)
/agreed. It's best to use OpenGL when playing any game on Linux if the game supports it as OpenGL is the native gfx API for 'nix based systems like Linux and OS X. For those running Ubuntu, there are some threads kicking around the community forums regarding running WoW on Ubuntu however I don't have links to them handy.

Opera's support for Linux is.... just plain bad. Chrome runs fine if your against using chrome use chromium its open source sister. Alternatively curse.com load fine in firefox, iceweasel, qupzilla, and vivaldi

The current version of Opera is nothing more than a repackaged Chromium (like so many other WebKit/Blink based browsers) build and is slowly dying. At this point, you are better off dumping Opera and going straight to Chrome/Chromium or another browser like Firefox. I have been playing with Vivaldi and it shows great promise though it still early days. Then again I don't mind being an alpha/beta tester.
03-18-15, 03:02 AM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

I will try disabling the Astrolabe addons, but my goal in this effort is to find out what I can do *other* than disabling daily/all-toon-useful addons.
There really isn't anything you can do to magically make addons load faster. You can shave off a little time by running standalone libraries, but like I said, it's not going to make much of a difference. You're just running a lot of addons, many of them very large and/or long past due for a total overhaul (*cough* Astrolabe *cough*), and your computer is old and weak. It is what it is.

Defragmenting your hard drive may also help a little, but probably not much either.

... every time I /reload, I get disconnected.
I also started experiencing this problem post-WoD and resolved it by ditching Examiner. I don't see that on your list, but if the disconnecting is fairly consistent, it shouldn't take too long to track down using a binary search pattern.

Yes, we have upgraded the graphics cards to the best we can afford, and have the best drivers we can find for them. (A few months ago we were getting errors from Blizz about our graphics card drivers, and upgraded as required.)
What do you have? I have a number of old graphics cards laying around and nothing to do with them; if any are an upgrade I'd be happy to send one your way. That said, upgrading your graphics card will only do so much, as your CPU is a major limiting factor for WoW's older graphics engine. Despite all the graphical improvements to the game, I'm not sure how much they've done to modernize the underlying engine; someone with more technical knowledge in that area may be able to weigh in here.

I don't *think* that our internet connection - a DSL line - is responsible here.
It's not. If your connection was too slow you'd see lag -- eg. your instant-cast spells wouldn't actually cast for a second or two, other players might appear to jump around in the game world, etc. -- but it would not affect your framerate.

One more thing: is there a difference between having an addon installed but disabled, and removing the addon altogether? For example, I have Enchantrix enabled only on my auction/bank alt (to know what's useful for what), my enchanter, my alchemist and my JC. I have it disabled for others.
Generally speaking, no, there is no difference. Technically speaking, there is a minor difference, since WoW indexes the entire contents of its folders on startup, but that would only affect how long it took the game to launch, and would have no effect on logging in or reloading the UI. And as an exception to the rule -- which I'd call a bug in WoW -- if you use AddonLoader or anything else identified as another addon's LoadManager, and disable it but leave it in the AddOns folder, then everything that names it as a LoadManager will not load.

I have a profile on Archy for the toons that do not have archaeology trained, which I *think* has things turned off.
That, on the other hand, is not the same, especially with regards to loading times. Hiding or "deactivating" an addon in-game will stop it from responding to events and such, so it shouldn't continue to impact your game performance (ie. FPS in combat) but it won't make much of a difference in terms of how long it takes WoW to load the addon in the first place. If you don't use an addon on a particular character, you should just disable it entirely on that character.
03-18-15, 05:18 AM   #14
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Interestingly enough, multi-quoting doesn't grab what the multi-quoted post is replying to.

My husband and I both launch WoW via cli. My husband runs opengl exclusively (I believe). We've found, however, that doing so sets a variable in the game folders; running WoW via the battle.net launcher does NOT reset it, and in fact prevents the battle.net launcher from launching at all. We have to either reset the variable by hand or launch WoW once using -d3d9 before we can use the battle.net launcher. Unfortunately, using that is the only way we've found to patch the game. Usually what happens is that I get the patch and then my husband copies my folders to his machine(s) and to the machine I use when I'm in that area of the house.

I don't know if he's found those performance tweaks. I'll pass that on, thank you.

Opera's support for Linux is.... just plain bad. Chrome runs fine if your against using chrome use chromium its open source sister. Altrernateively curse.com load fine in firefox, iceweasel, qupzilla, and vivaldi

I stopped using Chrome because I realized how much data it was sending back to Big Brother and I decided I didn't like it. Does Chromium do that? And how does it behave when running at the same time as WoW? (For example, I'm writing this while I'm flying from SW to Kara...)

I'm guessing elinks is like lynx, a text-based web browser?

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
One of the things I love about Linux is that the file managers (Nautilus, Thunar, Dolphin) could be customized. This includes putting shortcuts to folders in your sidebar which makes the manual extraction process of AddOns easy.
I doubleclick on the zipfiles to open the extracter, and extract directly into the addons folder.

Originally Posted by zyonin View Post
At this point, you are better off dumping Opera and going straight to Chrome/Chromium or another browser like Firefox.
Unfortunately, Firefox eats enough of the machine that I'm trying to *not* use it when WoW is running. Which is why I was running Opera in the first place.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
{...} You're just running a lot of addons, many of them very large and/or long past due for a total overhaul (*cough* Astrolabe *cough*), and your computer is old and weak. It is what it is.

Defragmenting your hard drive may also help a little, but probably not much either.
I haven't heard of that being needed since I left Windows. o.O

I also started experiencing this problem post-WoD and resolved it by ditching Examiner. I don't see that on your list, but if the disconnecting is fairly consistent, it shouldn't take too long to track down using a binary search pattern.
At some point I'll probably get annoyed enough to try that.

What do you have? I have a number of old graphics cards laying around and nothing to do with them; if any are an upgrade I'd be happy to send one your way. That said, upgrading your graphics card will only do so much, as your CPU is a major limiting factor for WoW's older graphics engine. Despite all the graphical improvements to the game, I'm not sure how much they've done to modernize the underlying engine; someone with more technical knowledge in that area may be able to weigh in here.
The NVIDIA X Server Settings pane says it's a GeForce 210. The Power Mizer section says Adaptive Clocking is enabled, and it's at Performance Level 2. I don't remember all the details on the CPU; it's an IBM ThinkCentre. The OS thinks it has 2 cpus in it, but iirc it's faking it with threading. It's a 32bit cpu (the other two from this scavenge are 64 bit). We've maxed out the memory, and this machine has a 1Tb hard drive.

It's not. If your connection was too slow you'd see lag -- eg. your instant-cast spells wouldn't actually cast for a second or two, other players might appear to jump around in the game world, etc. -- but it would not affect your framerate.
I do see lag at times, and part of figuring out what was going on was getting the addon Lagbar, which is tolerably awesome. Sometimes the lag is very bad - over a second, sometimes up to 2, and it varies whether it's home or world, but as far as I can tell it's unrelated to the frame rate, and unrelated to my freezing/wedging/discon issues.

Re disabling via telling the addon to shut up, vs disabling for the character.
That, on the other hand, is not the same, especially with regards to loading times. Hiding or "deactivating" an addon in-game will stop it from responding to events and such, so it shouldn't continue to impact your game performance (ie. FPS in combat) but it won't make much of a difference in terms of how long it takes WoW to load the addon in the first place. If you don't use an addon on a particular character, you should just disable it entirely on that character.
Fortunately, I can do that with ACP, cause doing it at the character selection screen seems to disable things for all my characters, as I found when I disabled the garrison stuff.

Last edited by Barleduq : 03-18-15 at 05:24 AM. Reason: More Data
03-18-15, 08:17 PM   #15
Phanx
Cat.

The NVIDIA X Server Settings pane says it's a GeForce 210.
I've got a GeForce 8800 GT laying around if you want it; send me a PM. Shipping is probably not an issue unless you're in Antarctica or something.

Re disabling via telling the addon to shut up, vs disabling for the character. ... doing it at the character selection screen seems to disable things for all my characters, as I found when I disabled the garrison stuff.
The first time you change a newly installed addon's state at the character screen, it changes it globally, even if you have a specific character selected in the dropdown, but after that it'll behave properly.
03-18-15, 11:06 PM   #16
10leej
A Molten Giant

My husband and I both launch WoW via cli. My husband runs opengl exclusively (I believe). We've found, however, that doing so sets a variable in the game folders; running WoW via the battle.net launcher does NOT reset it, and in fact prevents the battle.net launcher from launching at all. We have to either reset the variable by hand or launch WoW once using -d3d9 before we can use the battle.net launcher. Unfortunately, using that is the only way we've found to patch the game. Usually what happens is that I get the patch and then my husband copies my folders to his machine(s) and to the machine I use when I'm in that area of the house.

I don't know if he's found those performance tweaks. I'll pass that on, thank you.
You have to edit the wtf file to enable the opengl not the command arguments in the battle.net launcher.

Change the API in the config.wtf file instead. It's located in your World of Warcraft\WTF folder and can be edited with any proper text editor.

Edit or add this line:
Code:
SET gxApi "stufffinhgere"
change it to
Code:
SET gxApi "opengl"
typically located about the middle of the file or so and yes it must be in all lower case

I stopped using Chrome because I realized how much data it was sending back to Big Brother and I decided I didn't like it. Does Chromium do that? And how does it behave when running at the same time as WoW? (For example, I'm writing this while I'm flying from SW to Kara...)

I'm guessing elinks is like lynx, a text-based web browser?
Chromium has an option to enable it, but by default it's disabled

elinks is in fact a text based browser, it's more updated than lynx is and even converts some jpegs to ascii pictures

If the OP is using an ext4 file system then there's no need to defragment it's self maintaining.
03-20-15, 05:14 PM   #17
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
You have to edit the wtf file to enable the opengl not the command arguments in the battle.net launcher.
That's what we tried first. Having that set to opengl is fine, but when it's set like that, the battle.net launcher sometimes won't launch itself, and when it's open, launching WoW from the battle.net launcher ends up with it hanging somewhere between creating the window and finding the character selection screen, with dialog box with no text and only a button that says 'cancel'. That's why we run it from the command line:

wine $HOME/Appropriate-dir/WoW.exe -opengl

or -d3d9 if I need to patch the game. If I run it this way when it wants to be patched, it will usually get all the way to the character selection screen, and then cut out to a different screen and say it needs to be patched.

Chromium has an option to enable it, but by default it's disabled

elinks is in fact a text based browser, it's more updated than lynx is and even converts some jpegs to ascii pictures
I just installed elinks via yum, and it has the same problem opera did - it finds a page that says 'Object has moved here' where the word 'here' is a link, and then does nothing. I get a message on bottom that looks like it might be asking me something, but it's too long and I can't see the end of it, and pressing y, n, o, s, and a couple of others at random didn't produce anything. Pressing a wanted to bookmark it, and I don't recall what else I tried.

Lynx at least gets past that, but fails on too many redirects.

---

Phanx, I'm trying to catch up with my husband to find out if our machines can take that card. IIRC there's some oddness with the card slots that had him return one card we got when we were upgrading.

-Bar
03-20-15, 11:04 PM   #18
10leej
A Molten Giant

That's what we tried first. Having that set to opengl is fine, but when it's set like that, the battle.net launcher sometimes won't launch itself, and when it's open, launching WoW from the battle.net launcher ends up with it hanging somewhere between creating the window and finding the character selection screen, with dialog box with no text and only a button that says 'cancel'. That's why we run it from the command line:

wine $HOME/Appropriate-dir/WoW.exe -opengl

or -d3d9 if I need to patch the game. If I run it this way when it wants to be patched, it will usually get all the way to the character selection screen, and then cut out to a different screen and say it needs to be patched.
hmm, what version of wine are you using?

I just installed elinks via yum, and it has the same problem opera did - it finds a page that says 'Object has moved here' where the word 'here' is a link, and then does nothing. I get a message on bottom that looks like it might be asking me something, but it's too long and I can't see the end of it, and pressing y, n, o, s, and a couple of others at random didn't produce anything. Pressing a wanted to bookmark it, and I don't recall what else I tried.

Lynx at least gets past that, but fails on too many redirects.
mmm I wonder if Dolby (or whoever maintains the zam sites) has wowinterface using more javascript than it used to. eLinks has some issues with that.
03-21-15, 08:19 AM   #19
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
hmm, what version of wine are you using?

mmm I wonder if Dolby (or whoever maintains the zam sites) has wowinterface using more javascript than it used to. eLinks has some issues with that.
I didn't include - that was on Curse that elinks and lynx did that, not on WoW Interface. I haven't tried this site on a text-only browser yet.

According to the configuration GUI that shows up when I find the menu item 'wine configuration' in the wine menu, it's 1.5.29.

I'm not sure if we're using the exact same wine version on all the machines; this problem in launching via the battle.net launcher and using opengl exists on my other machine (that i rarely use cause I'm rarely in that section of the house, but is set up to play wow also), is a 64 bit version of this machine I'm using now, with a smaller hard drive and, I think, also maxed on memory.

I'm not the hardware geek.
03-22-15, 03:54 PM   #20
10leej
A Molten Giant

I'm not sure if we're using the exact same wine version on all the machines; this problem in launching via the battle.net launcher and using opengl exists on my other machine (that i rarely use cause I'm rarely in that section of the house, but is set up to play wow also), is a 64 bit version of this machine I'm using now, with a smaller hard drive and, I think, also maxed on memory.
Depends on the distribution your using, however it's recommended to use the latest version of wine for WoW the wine teams keeps up to date binaries here if your using an Ubuntu system they also have a PPA available.

Also yeah I woyuldn't expect curse.com to work on elinks, maybe the sisters sites of wowace and curseforge, but not curse itself.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » I have over 60 addos - is it worth combining them?