02-12-07, 12:52 AM   #1
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Font quick Guide for MazzleUI

This is a quick guide to changing fonts without having to touch any of the .lua files. This guide can also be found in the ClearFont download section.

If you would like to do the more "difficult" way, you can look for it on page 2 of this thread or simply Click Here by Seerah

There are a lot of different type of fonts out there, you can even pick yours from the Start>>Control Panel>>Fonts. Or you can download a set of fonts provided by the author of ClearFont2: ClearFont Extra Fonts Pack
  • Screenshot of doing the quick, easy way: Vera Fonts and Segoe Fonts
    - This is using smallest font size setting in Mazzify, very easy to read for low resolution users at font size 12-13
===>The Steps
  • Create a backup folder in the Interface\Addons\ClearFont2\Fonts of your Calibri_v1
  • Copy and paste your fonts (regular, bold, italic, and bolditalic) into the Calibri_v1 folder
  • In there you will see Calibri.ttf, CalibriBold.ttf, CalibriBoldItalic.ttf, and CalibriItalic.ttf
  • Replace your fonts to exactly what those file names above (just copy the name of those files and delete them then paste the names over to your font files)
  • And that's all to it, "the infamous way"

===>What The Files Are
  • Calibri.ttf is for your general chat text
    - Chatbox Frame/CombatChat Frame
  • CalibriBrold.ttf is for your title text
    - Tooltip: an Item name
    - Quest title and Quest objectives
    - Any addon's title (e.g: Fubar plugins' title [if you mouseover])
  • CalibriBolItalic.ttf is for your overheard zone title text
    - Zone title (whenever you enter a new zone)
  • CalibriItalic.ttf is for your quest text
    - TextFrame popup whenever you talk to an NPC or reading the QuestLog

===>NOTES
  • When using this guide, you should not choose the FontType option in-game because Mazzle took out the Fonts and only leaving the default one. So if you picked a different type, you will likely to crash the game after your 2nd logout. So just ignore that option if you see it in DueceCommand or if it's there on FuBar.
  • I found that the fonts that are easy to read for low resolution users that use small font size are Vera fonts and Abadi MT Condensed which can be found in your system font folder
    - Also, when using Abadi fonts, you may want to change the font size in-game to 15-18 if you want it to be about equal size of other fonts at size 13-14 (this is the small font setting when you mazzify)

Last edited by 123noob : 02-14-07 at 05:09 PM.
02-12-07, 01:02 AM   #2
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's all well and good, but I don't think there's any reason to think that people are having crashes because I didn't include more fonts. That doesn't make any sense to me, and I don't think that there's any evidence of that at all.

I know you tried to switch to a font that isn't there and had an issue, but that's a completely different thing. You actively asked it to do something it couldn't do.

Anyway, this may still be useful to others who want to switch their fonts. I just wouldn't conclude that it would help with any issues other than wanting a different font.
02-12-07, 01:03 AM   #3
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oh, and if you do find a font that works particularly well for lower aspect ratios, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Perhaps post a screenshot in this thread.
02-12-07, 01:11 AM   #4
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
Oh, and if you do find a font that works particularly well for lower aspect ratios, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Perhaps post a screenshot in this thread.
I will definitely. And yah... I was half knowing of what I was talking up there, trying to explain things that I know little about .
02-12-07, 07:10 AM   #5
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Screenshot posted and best font reference for low resolution.
02-12-07, 05:03 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Thanks for posting this- it reminded me to import my old ClearFont2 folder into Mazzle. No sense in letting all the work I did writing in the code for custom fonts go to waste.
02-13-07, 10:53 AM   #7
Joev
A Murloc Raider

Hey, 123noob

Thanks for the guide, i realy like the font your using could you tell me what the font is called?
02-13-07, 11:45 AM   #8
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

For the chat text, I use vera: ClearFont.ttf and ClearFontBold.ttf for the headers/titles. For the zone titles I use SegoePrint: ClearFont.ttf

Originally Posted by Seerah
Thanks for posting this- it reminded me to import my old ClearFont2 folder into Mazzle. No sense in letting all the work I did writing in the code for custom fonts go to waste.
yah... having ClearFont2 on FuBar with options to choose different type of fonts but not working kinda sucks lol.
02-13-07, 01:47 PM   #9
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Technically, I disabled ClearFont2's Fubar menu, so people shouldn't see fonts that they can't use. I removed the other fonts simply to save memory.

Anyway, after switching to these fonts, is there anywhere that you guys have noticed that the change in width of the text using the new font, makes thing look weird or wrong?
02-13-07, 02:24 PM   #10
Joev
A Murloc Raider

I sometimes get writing flowing out of frames, for e.g right now i'm looking at the pvp rewards and the prices are just slightly overflowing the frame, but otherwise it looks fine for me much clearer

Last edited by Joev : 02-13-07 at 02:26 PM.
02-13-07, 03:02 PM   #11
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Technically, I disabled ClearFont2's Fubar menu, so people shouldn't see fonts that they can't use. I removed the other fonts simply to save memory.

Anyway, after switching to these fonts, is there anywhere that you guys have noticed that the change in width of the text using the new font, makes thing look weird or wrong?
-.- and when I last checked before I get crashes due to font change, the ClearFont2 icon was still on FuBar thanks a lot Mazzle! lol
Originally Posted by Joev
I sometimes get writing flowing out of frames, for e.g right now i'm looking at the pvp rewards and the prices are just slightly overflowing the frame, but otherwise it looks fine for me much clearer
Yah I noticed that too, but most of those fonts are related to the title text. Also, from looking at MazzleUI option window, I think it uses the <b>CalibriBold.ttf</b>(title text) setting if I'm not mistaken. I guess because the game setting is already set for that specific font type, so by changing it to different font (with greater width dimension) it tends to do that.

So, I think if anyone who would like to change their fonts, I suggest only the one that relates to the chattext and zone text. However, if it is the chattext setting that MazzleUI uses for her window option, then I guess you have to stick with the original Calibri font type or not if you don't really care about it.

Also: Your overflow text from that example you've just given. it seems like it has to do with the quest text font type, not the regular chat text font. (CalibriItalic.ttf). Quest text font are the text body of any chat text window frame when speaking to an NPC or reading your questlog
-----

I will try to revert back and forth each different fonttype.ttf to see which one causes the overflowing of the frame(s) and post the result.

Last edited by 123noob : 02-13-07 at 03:20 PM.
02-13-07, 03:36 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured

Yeah, the ClearFont2 Fubar entry was disabled, but you can still access it via DeuceCommander. I'll get a screenshot for you and upload it here later. I'm using the Enviro font (wrote a few of my own fonts into the code), which is wider, but more fun for me. So, I get some text getting cutoff. But in the Mazzifier or the FAQ, it is still the default font, so nothing to worry about there.
02-13-07, 06:38 PM   #13
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Yeah, the ClearFont2 Fubar entry was disabled, but you can still access it via DeuceCommander. I'll get a screenshot for you and upload it here later. I'm using the Enviro font (wrote a few of my own fonts into the code), which is wider, but more fun for me. So, I get some text getting cutoff. But in the Mazzifier or the FAQ, it is still the default font, so nothing to worry about there.
It'll be cool if you could post up a guide showing how to incorporate code for choosing font type as another way changing fonts.
02-13-07, 08:25 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Here is my screenshot of how it looks with Enviro font:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...h/MazzleUI.jpg

To use the ClearFont2 FontPack, merely place the FontPack folder in your Addons directory and it will add those new fonts the list to choose from in-game.

How to imput your own fonts into ClearFont2:

(This is for using a custom font, not included with ClearFont2 or its FontPack you can download separately.)

1. Find a font you like that you have on your computer (you may also find fonts on the web that various people have created) - your Fonts folder is located at C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

2. The best type of font to use is one with different styles- regular, bold, italic, and bold italic (If you find one that you like that doesn't have 4 styles- like Enviro- don't worry about it) We'll use Arial as an example here.

3. Copying fonts from this directory is a little tricky, so read carefully
  • Drag the font you like and its bold, italic, and bold italic styles out of the fonts folder and onto your desktop (Arial, Arial Bold, Arial Italic, and Arial Bold Italic) - NOTE: this will REMOVE the fonts from your Fonts folder!!
  • Once on the Desktop, drag the fonts back into the Fonts folder- this will reinstall them, leaving copies on the Desktop
  • Create a new folder on your desktop named after the font (Arial) and place the font files in that folder
4. Find the ClearFont2 folder in your WorldofWarcraft\Interface\Addons directory

5. Inside the ClearFont2 folder is a folder named Fonts - place your new font folder (Arial) inside

6. Now find a lua file named Core in the ClearFont2 folder and open it with a program like Notepad. You will see very simple code that you're going to add to, using your new font, that looks like this:
Code:
{["name"]="Default (Calibri v1)",	
		["normal"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\Calibri.ttf",
		["bold"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\CalibriBold.ttf",
		["italic"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\CalibriItalic.ttf",
		["bolditalic"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\CalibriBoldItalic.ttf", 
		["number"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\CalibriBold.ttf"},
  • The first line (where it says Default...) is the name of that font that will be displayed in the list
  • Below that are the different styles of the font, and where ClearFont2 should find them in the ClearFont2 directory - font location is font folder\\font FILE name .ttf (true-type font) - the number style should be from the normal font

7. Copy a section of the code and paste it in at the bottom of the code list (or alphabetically, if you want your list arranged like me )

8. Replace with your font name in the first line (Arial), your font folder name (Arial), and the font file names - it should look like below:
Code:
{["name"]="Arial",	
		["normal"]		=fontLoc.."Arial\\arial.ttf",
		["bold"]		=fontLoc.."Arial\\arialbd.ttf",
		["italic"]		=fontLoc.."Arial\\ariali.ttf",
		["bolditalic"]		=fontLoc.."Arial\\arialbi.ttf", 
		["number"]		=fontLoc.."Arial\\arial.ttf"},
  • If you happen to pick a font with only one typeset/style, like Enviro, then your code will look like this:
Code:
{["name"]="Enviro",	
		["normal"]		=fontLoc.."Enviro\\Enviro.ttf",
		["bold"]		=fontLoc.."Enviro\\Enviro.ttf",
		["italic"]		=fontLoc.."Enviro\\Enviro.ttf",
		["bolditalic"]		=fontLoc.."Enviro\\Enviro.ttf", 
		["number"]		=fontLoc.."Enviro\\Enviro.ttf"},
9. Make sure that what you've added to the code looks EXACTLY like what was there before, and that the last curly bracket ( } ) is still located on the left margin at the very end of the list of fonts (before all the other stuff in that file)- if there is something off with your code, you will get an error in-game which should tell you about what was wrong and where in the code it was encountered, so you can fix it

10. Log into WoW - Mazzle has turned off the ClearFont2 FuBar menu, which is fine because we need the room up there Go to the DeuceCommander menu in FuBar and you will find ClearFont2 under Interface Enhancements

11. Select your new font. Typle /rl to reload your UI to ensure that the font gets applied to your chat box and any other mods that didn't change right away. If that doesn't work, exit the game and relog. Remember, though, that the font will not be applied to *everything* - some things that Mazzle has put together and some mods have font overrides that will keep them set to their default.

12. ??

13. Profit! Enjoy

Last edited by Seerah : 02-13-07 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typos >.<
02-13-07, 08:32 PM   #15
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Oops! Forgot a couple links.

You can download ClearFont2 and its FontPack from http://files.wowace.com/ - make sure you get ClearFont2 and not the old, regular ClearFont. ClearFont2 also comes with a variety of fonts, but, as Mazzle said in an earlier post, they were removed to keep the UI file size down.

The website about ClearFont2 if anyone is interested is located at http://www.clearfont.co.uk/
02-13-07, 08:56 PM   #16
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Very nice. Thank you!
By the way, how did you manage to edit the codes (copying that default font codes for the new one)? I tried using notepad to edit and find that line. However, the codes in there were all aligned in one single and are not in separate lines. That is why I couldn't do anything to it.

Here's what I mean from the core.lua
Code:
local fontLoc = "Interface\\AddOns\\ClearFont2\\Fonts\\"             ClearFont.fonts = {     	{["name"]="Default (Calibri v1)",		["normal"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\Calibri.ttf",		["bold"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\CalibriBold.ttf",		["italic"]		=fontLoc.."Calibri_v1\\CalibriItalic.ttf",
It all just making it hard to read and understand , but I just found a way to fix that haha. By copying the whole page of that and paste anywhere else then the code lines should be like yours.

I'm going to try and see different type of fonts that would be best by using this method .

Last edited by 123noob : 02-13-07 at 11:26 PM.
02-13-07, 11:58 PM   #17
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ahh... If Notepad gives you that, then try Wordpad. Sometimes lua files read better in one than the other. If you happen to have Dreamweaver or any other web layout / html editor software like that, you can use that, too. Dreamweaver even offers a free 30-day trial.
02-14-07, 07:57 AM   #18
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Ahh... If Notepad gives you that, then try Wordpad. Sometimes lua files read better in one than the other. If you happen to have Dreamweaver or any other web layout / html editor software like that, you can use that, too. Dreamweaver even offers a free 30-day trial.
I remember using Dreamweaver long time ago and that is when I realized I shouldn't be touching a computer

Also, updated the quick guide on first page to make it easier to follow.

Last edited by 123noob : 02-14-07 at 10:13 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Font quick Guide for MazzleUI