08-06-09, 02:20 AM   #1
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Now tell me again?

Why wowmatrix is so bad? After minion rarely working, and yes I posted the error log over a week ago but it meant so much no one bothered to look at it after I had to zip it to post as an attachment because of the size why the only program to update all your adds that worked today is so bad? I even bothered to check minion today but as usally all internal errors. Curse client did not have the update for dbm which caused countless headaches and numberous wipes in naxx. After 80g worth of repairs someone came on and told us wowmatrix had the updated version of dbm.

I want the updater that works. I want the updater that is easy to use. I want the updater that updates the most mods. Now tell me again why wowmatrix is so freaking bad when it was the only one that worked today? And I dont want the garbage about not supporting developers - they seem to have fixed that.

08-06-09, 03:38 AM   #2
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

/me Prepares popcorn and waits patiently for things to come

08-06-09, 03:42 AM   #3
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
*climbs up from bunker*

Did you try curse client properly, DBM works fine for me...

*burrows down deep into bunker, awaitng the wrath of addon authors*

08-06-09, 03:45 AM   #4
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Originally Posted by OldHarry View Post
Why wowmatrix is so bad? After minion rarely working, and yes I posted the error log over a week ago but it meant so much no one bothered to look at it after I had to zip it to post as an attachment because of the size why the only program to update all your adds that worked today is so bad?
Because it was pulling addons from other websites and not from the WM site (which wasn't hosting them anyway and still isn't hosting all of their advertised addons), without permission when it came to "All Rights Reserved" addons, by using a horrible scrapping mechanism. This may mean jack to you, but I assure you it means a great deal to the people, whose resources are being used without their consent.

I even bothered to check minion today but as usally all internal errors. Curse client did not have the update for dbm which caused countless headaches and numberous wipes in naxx. After 80g worth of repairs someone came on and told us wowmatrix had the updated version of dbm.
...or you could have taken 1-2 minutes of your time to head over to the DBM site, to *gasp* manually download, an addon, you yourself consider to be absolutely essential.

I want the updater that works. I want the updater that is easy to use. I want the updater that updates the most mods. Now tell me again why wowmatrix is so freaking bad when it was the only one that worked today? And I dont want the garbage about not supporting developers - they seem to have fixed that.
Wowmatrix was not the only updater that worked today and it certainly isn't the one that updates the most mods anymore, despite their valiant attempts to continue to scrape addons from any place they can. As for supporting developers, I don't really see anything new about their website. There is still no opt-in hosting method, no dev tools of any kind, repositories, forums or anything else compelling. So basically, yeah, it's the same "garbage".

08-06-09, 04:18 AM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I even bothered to check minion today but as usally all internal errors.
Familiarize yourself with the word "beta".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ife_cycle#Beta

Curse client did not have the update for dbm which caused countless headaches and numberous wipes in naxx. After 80g worth of repairs someone came on and told us wowmatrix had the updated version of dbm.
You're blaming your numerous Naxx wipes on Curse because they didn't have an updated version of DBM? It really never occurred to the officers of your guild to check the DBM site before the raid to see if anyone was having issues with it after the patch? My guild did a Naxx farm run last night, and I know (we) the officers discussed beforehand downloading BigWigs. Why? Because we found out long before the raid that DBM had not been updated and did not work. BigWigs on the other hand had two updates yesterday. Why did we bother? Because it is our responsibility since we require either DBM or BW for our raids. If you want a successful raid run, then not only do you do the homework for the instance, but you ensure that everyone has a working copy of whatever addons are required for the runs. The Curse client is not responsible for your wipes. You are.

If you want the job done right, then do it manually and stop being dependent on 3rd party software.

Last edited by Petrah : 08-06-09 at 04:22 AM.

08-06-09, 04:42 AM   #6
Republic
Paladin

Why wowmatrix is so bad?
They stole bandwidth. This is an actionable offense and carries criminal penalties if pursued. WM is lucky I wasn't the host ripped off. These other guys took it far too easy on them. But, well, that's another topic for another time.

Curse client did not have the update for dbm which caused countless headaches and numberous wipes in naxx.
This is where I begin my "learn to play the game the way it was intended - without mods that think for you" self-righteous, pontificating speech from hell. Lucky for you, I don't have the energy or concern to warm it up now.

After 80g worth of repairs someone came on and told us wowmatrix had the updated version of dbm.
Honestly, is 80g a significant amount of money to you? That's like what? A few dailies? If you have trouble raising 80g to pay repairs, your biggest problem is not the fact DBM wasn't available for use. Again, perhaps another topic for another time.

08-06-09, 05:13 AM   #7
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Old Harry, it would seem your rant is Old Hat.

I want a wife who cooks, who cleans, and who makes beautiful love. Incidently, I want all three of those women to never meet. It is rare that one finds all perfect qualities in a single source, and when one does, the paradox usually remedies itself in the destruction of that single source.

The "You Broke My I.W.I.N. Button!" die-hard-WowMatrix-supporter thread is right over here.

The "I don't like beta stages of anything; I expect pro stuff immediately!" thread is right over here... Or not. It was apparently removed. Maybe there's a reason for that...

And lastly, the "I have a legitimate concern and maybe even a suggestion to improve Minion" thread is right over here.

Posting anything else in a new thread is entirely superfluous and redundant. Put down your club and quit beating that poor beast. In case you hadn't noticed, the horse is quite dead.

UCWUTIDIDTHAR? MIRITE?!

Last edited by Cairenn : 08-06-09 at 05:51 PM. Reason: deleted inappropriate graphic - Cair

08-06-09, 06:14 AM   #8
Deathmastuda
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
wow

Wow all this commotion just cuz someone was pointing out that a so called "garbage" updater worked sooner.

Don't get me wrong, When it comes to updateing I always check my Curse Client first, then if no luck I'll look on Wowinterface to manually update and then if still no, I'll check wow matrix. Yea it may pull it's downloads from other sites but hey, atleast there making sure to have the newest version.

But i would like to say! WTF is the hold up on minion? Ok if the guy making the updater dosent have enuff time to do it, Have someone else do it, it seems obvious that the guy might not know what he's doing anyway.

Also if everyone on here wants to bash WM for site downloading why don't we just do a cover make of there uploader? Eye for an eye i say. atleast then Minion would work.

"Sorry i just don't like when someone gets bashed on for liking something different"

08-06-09, 06:17 AM   #9
Verissi
Premium Member

Tired, long-ago-beaten-to death subject is still tired and still long-ago-beaten-to-death, so I won't rehash the old arguments again.

I want the updater that works. I want the updater that is easy to use. I want the updater that updates the most mods.
Not to be snarky, but if you want those things, nothing is stopping you from offering help to Shirik instead of ranting because someone else isn't working fast enough for you or on your schedule. Part of what originally motivated me to write my own software years ago was that I was unhappy with what was out there already for what I wanted to do. I would often contribute back to the original project(s) in an effort to at least offer up some of what I considered improvements. If you lack the experience or knowledge to help on that level, then the best you can do is offer up bug reports with as much information as you can provide, then wait. Complaints don't make code get written or debugged faster.

I'm sure Shirik appreciates the bug report and the effort you took to send your logfile, but bear in mind that he also has other things on his plate and it is still very much a beta product. I know it can be frustrating to manually update addons when you're used to one-button simplicity, but if you're going to get upset about poor raiding performances due to addons that could've been manually updated, then I agree with Silenia - that's more your fault than Minion's. Frankly, I've done numerous raids without boss mods and if I encountered poor performance, it was often PEBKAC, not an non-working addon.

08-06-09, 06:17 AM   #10
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

You know Arrowmaster discovered wowmatrix leaves it's code in memory in plaintext due to the Software they code with.

This is what was dicovered by looking at their source code :

1) MW Does not have a list of URLs it downloads from. It has a list of addon page which it loads up 3 times to get the download URL. That's 3 times the amount of bandwidth an average user uses. For every addon they have installed.

Me i get an email when one of my addons gets updated. Using up probably on order of 1/200 th the bandwidth a wowmatrix users uses.

2) It alters your config.wtf to turn off lua errors

My user name is in there. What's to stop them harvesting that and sending to a gold seller hacker site ?

Also turning off lua errors is an exceptionally bad idea as it doesn't automatigically fix an addon that has a lua error come up - that addon will either not load at all or even worse only partially load.

3) It batch changes all your addons TOC number to the latest version

Modifying the TOC number does not automagically fix lua errors in an addon. All it means is you don't have to use the "Load out of date" addons option. If the addon needs to be rewritten because Blizzard changes the name of a function then modifying the TOC number will not fix it.

4) It strips copyright from addons.

This is the worse one. This is dirty , underhanded and down right illegal!

Addon authors own copyright on their addon from the minute they press the save button in their text editors.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

08-06-09, 06:26 AM   #11
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Deathmastuda View Post
Don't get me wrong, When it comes to updateing I always check my Curse Client first, then if no luck I'll look on Wowinterface to manually update and then if still no, I'll check wow matrix. Yea it may pull it's downloads from other sites but hey, atleast there making sure to have the newest version.
Well that's the thing.

It often doesn't have the latest version.

See they had this great opportunity to come to the addon authors and go "well hey guys we stuffed up big and would like work things out".

What do they do instead ?

Start hosting version of addons that were released by the authors under a public license. No emails to authors talking about things or asking permission or anything like that.

That's just a underhanded way of them saying "screw you!" to the authors.

I prefer to go with a site who actually supports Authors.

But i would like to say! WTF is the hold up on minion? Ok if the guy making the updater dosent have enuff time to do it, Have someone else do it, it seems obvious that the guy might not know what he's doing anyway.
You should be grateful he's sparing the time to do it. And yes he knows what he's doing and we do have people helping him.

"Sorry i just don't like when someone gets bashed on for liking something different"
It's more about the entitlement syndrome some people have.

You need to bear in mind this was discussed for a good 2 to 3 months in Jan through to March this year. We've heard every argument people have come up with.

It's all old news to us regulars and it gets us a little tired and little peeved especially when most of us have expressed our views again and again in multiple easily found threads.

Curse and WOWI have been having problems with wowmatrix for over 2 years now.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

08-06-09, 06:42 AM   #12
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
You know what method works 100% of the time?

Manually updating. Really, you probably could have visited the DBM site, downloaded and installed the newest version in the amount of time it took you to load up all the updaters and then complain about it here.

In the amount of time it took me to write (and revise and revise and revise) this post, I could have updated all 98 of my addons. Twice. I've only spent 15 minutes writing this post, too.

08-06-09, 07:09 AM   #13
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Thumbs down I can't wait until summer break is over and all the kids go back to school.

...why don't we just do a cover make of there uploader? Eye for an eye i say. atleast then Minion would work.
As mature as you may think this ideology is, I'm going to inform you that most adult thinkers prefer to take the high road. Ironically, if WoWI did do what you have suggested, the immediate backlash from the WM cheerleaders would be, "You can't complain about WM stealing your stuff if you steal theirs!!"

What an awful suggestion.
Wow all this commotion just cuz someone was pointing out that a so called "garbage" updater worked sooner.

We're well aware that you think WM works better, and there's nothing wrong with someone establishing a preference. If you want to bash our project without worrying about getting beat with the logic-bat, go run your own forums and leave ours alone. You're allowed to have your preference. That isn't the issue. The issue is the whining, complaining, emo wrist-slashing, and WoWI-bashing. Don't be too shocked when we berate you for berating us.
WTF is the hold up on minion? Ok if the guy making the updater dosent have enuff time to do it, Have someone else do it, it seems obvious that the guy might not know what he's doing anyway.

DON'T
YOU
DARE!

Unless you're prepared to take a load off the dev's shoulders by flying to his home town and helping him with his irl stuff, taking the time to mirror his knowledge and skill bases, or taking over his project yourself, you'd best shut your mouth rtfn. I don't see you making your hard work available to a bunch of ingrateful, impatient, impertinent whelps like yourself only to have it criticized by someone with half your brain power. If you haven't the skill or will to do what he's done, you can suck it up and deal. And if you do have the skill or will, put your money where your mouth is, go get it done, and earn the right to say what you just did.

Don't criticize things you perceive to be problems unless you're fully prepared to be an active part of the solution.

08-06-09, 07:27 AM   #14
Nuckin
is laughing at you

God I really hope you never reproduce.

08-06-09, 07:40 AM   #15
Darxon
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
hmm first off i dont think any updaters will get a error free DBM tbh , version 4.21 ( the latest from http://www.deadlybossmods.com/) isnt workin 100 % .

08-06-09, 07:57 AM   #16
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
First, you don't need to be "Told Again". You can just go read the old posts. They are as accurate then as they are today.

Second, you need to understand what "Beta" means. Someone else provided the wiki link. I hope you clicked it.

Third, if your entire raiding experience is dependent on one mod, I hope you're contributing heavily to it.
- Generally, the "important events" are flashed to raid warning by the in-game client now. It's not as though you get no warning when Deep Breath 3.0 comes.
- If someone dies in 1 hit because an add spawned on time and you didn't have a timer.. that person needs to leave and come back after they replace their quest greens. If they die in 2 hits, they need a better healer, and probably still need to stop enchanting & gemming 100% for offensive stats - EVERYBODY needs some minimum level of stamina to get by. There is PLENTY of time to react to events like this when everyone is actually prepared for the raid and qualified to be in it.
- DBM isn't even the only mod that scripts the entire fight for you. BigWigs is another, and I'm sure there are more. From prior experience I've found BigWigs to be more accurate and more stable than DBM.

08-06-09, 09:45 AM   #17
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Everyone take a deep breath and a step back. Both sides, please.

OldHarry, I sympathize with your problems, but WM is not a solution to it. As has been pointed out already, if you would like a refresher on the WM events and problems, then there are sources for that. Yesterday, I tried helping you with your DBM issue by pointing you to their main site so you could download it there. I'm not sure if that version is what still errored for you or not, but that is where WM got it from anyway. But there are also at least 2 other raid scripting addons besides DBM, in addition to the new stuff in the default client that gives better-visible warnings.

Deathmastuda, please be understanding that Shirik is a human being with other things on his plate. When he realized how much time his new internship was requiring of him, he asked for help with Minion. There was minimal response, though we do have a couple new people on the project. Shirik wanted to get another build of Minion out the other day, but was unable to. All of this is documented in this forum.

I will now be locking this thread, as I cannot see it going in any positive direction. Please review the site's forum posting rules. And please give any bug reports/suggestions to the Minion team - best idea is to post it on the issue tracker linked in a sticky above. OldHarry, your log was looked at, even if you didn't get a reply after posting it.

Good day.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Now tell me again?