01-31-12, 11:48 AM   #1
wowunderachiever
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

How do you keep track of updating them all?

I use Curse client for the majority of my addons but I have a growing number of them that are not supported by Curse.

Most of these are little LDB type things... but a few probably are updated fairly regularly.

For all the addon junkies out there - how do you keep everything up to date if you don't use the Curse client? How do you keep up with updates and all?
01-31-12, 11:49 AM   #2
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WoWI has its own client similar to the Curse Client, called Minion. It's in Beta currently though.
01-31-12, 12:06 PM   #3
wowunderachiever
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I'm kind of new to the whole "interface community." I've been using addons since Vanilla but only recently became really interested in getting out of my comfort zone and playing with the interface.

Is WoWI basically the "best" or "biggest" of the interface sites? I'm kind of looking for one-stop shopping per se but also with all the cutting edge stuff. For example I've found really good stuff here that wasn't over at Curse.

That question probably made zero sense.
01-31-12, 12:13 PM   #4
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by wowunderachiever View Post
I'm kind of new to the whole "interface community." I've been using addons since Vanilla but only recently became really interested in getting out of my comfort zone and playing with the interface.

Is WoWI basically the "best" or "biggest" of the interface sites? I'm kind of looking for one-stop shopping per se but also with all the cutting edge stuff. For example I've found really good stuff here that wasn't over at Curse.

That question probably made zero sense.
Haha, as an addon developer I find WoWI to be much easier to work with and think it is much better made. Sadly however Curse has a larger range of addons and is paired with WoWAce (an addon framework that is widely used.) I personally do not enjoy trying to upload my addons to Curse as it takes forever and is very difficult to navigate.

I can basically find anything I want to use over here at WoWI, but occasionally I have to go to Curse.

Bottom line is I don't think you'll be able to find a one-stop addon site as it is the developer's discretion to put their addons on each site.
01-31-12, 12:40 PM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Curse is difficult to deal with on both sides. Their site hardly ever loads properly on my system and when it does, I have to hack it anyway to get a manual download to work.
01-31-12, 12:52 PM   #6
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Curse is difficult to deal with on both sides. Their site hardly ever loads properly on my system and when it does, I have to hack it anyway to get a manual download to work.
This, lol.
01-31-12, 01:11 PM   #7
VagrantEsha
Token Werewolf Fan

Premium Member
Curse is a pain in the rear to upload to.

I was thinking of maintaining Vault there, too, but it's just too annoying. It's the most unintuitive, unattractive design I've ever come across. And coupling in with that that it seems to be not much of a community site, and just generally a very cold place, it has little appeal to me.

I mean, here we have Cairenn, Solby, Seerah, and so on. They're awesome people, you don't want to ever do ill by them because they're so nice, and that's what's fostered such a strong community here. So WoWI has always been my first choice for a place to stash my mods, and it will continue to be. I'd bet that a lot of people feel the same way.

No room for Curse for this auld wolf.

Anyway, on topic: I like creating a HTML file with the last version numbers in it and dropping by the links every now and then to see if anything's been updated since I checked last. I don't check too often unless there's a bug. I also check WoWI's most recently updated/uploaded mods on a daily basis, too, which helps me catch updates.
01-31-12, 03:08 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We have Minion, as already said, but another good way to keep track of your addons is to add them to your favourites list. You can then set it so that you get an email any time any of your favourites are updated.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-31-12, 03:14 PM   #9
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by VagrantEsha View Post
... here we have Cairenn, Solby, Seerah, and so on.
*Looks out for Solby*

Honestly, I had worked on addon code for a year before registering here. What finally got me to do it was the offer to get a beta key for BC. I had personally published my addons on my own site prior to it. I'm not exactly famous, but my talent and past experience in various languages including Lua can easily be of use to others.
01-31-12, 04:26 PM   #10
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Whats up? This is Solby
01-31-12, 04:34 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Awww shucks, guys.

wowunderachiever:
To answer your question, I use a favorites list both here and on Curse (for the few addons I use that are only updated there). I am here so often that I don't bother having the site email me, though that is a great option if you want to be alerted. That way, you don't have to remember to check anything.

You can add an addon to your favorites list by clicking the "Add Favorite" button below the download button on an addon's page. You can then find your favorites list via the menu where your name is at the top right of every screen on the website. (If addons on your list have been updated, a number appears next to your name. This also works for PMs you have received on the site.)

If you want the site to email you when an addon on your favorites list was updated, then go to the favorites list page, click on Preferences in the left-hand column, and change the option to "yes".

Hope this helps!
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-31-12, 05:26 PM   #12
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

For the most part, I rarely ever update any of the addons I use unless it's throwing errors, and/or not working properly.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How do you keep track of updating them all?