06-24-08, 10:41 AM   #1
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Any advice ?

Just bought a new motherboard + cpu and I have no onboard video. Problem is, I can't load drivers without video. Any suggestions please?
06-24-08, 11:05 AM   #2
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Add a vidio card? even know you will not beable to play the game or most other things.....But im sure you can see to down load drivers..I havent done this in years i don't think they changed useing a new card with your computer?
06-24-08, 11:07 AM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thanks for the fast response. I have a video card, but zero drivers. So that isn't letting me get a video signal, I cannot even see BIOS .. etc. Just no signal.
06-24-08, 11:13 AM   #4
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Hmm what windows are you useing? if vista you might need a new card.. If XP or lower it should pick it up from windows. Reason im asking is that Vista don't add suport for older hardware.. Only other thing i can tell ya is try going back where ya got the mother board and ask them? if you didn't mail order it like i would have Any way this is as good as i can get, not really good with computers........
06-24-08, 11:16 AM   #5
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Are you sure your video card is connected properly?
06-24-08, 11:18 AM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Can't load an OS because no video is available. It was bought online, I'm gonna call PCClub and see if they'll offer some free advice. Thanks for trying.

Everything is new, so I have no drivers installed (and no clue how to do so with no video.)

Last edited by Yhor : 06-24-08 at 11:20 AM. Reason: More Info
06-24-08, 11:22 AM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Drivers have nothing to do with getting the signal from your vid card to your mobo.

Can you provide a bit more info about your setup?
06-24-08, 11:36 AM   #8
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Drivers have nothing to do with getting the signal from your vid card to your mobo.

Can you provide a bit more info about your setup?

AMD Phenom Quad core processor
ASUS EAH3870x2 1gig, 512 bit video card
Biostar A770 ATX mainboard
Corsair 750TX psu
Seagate Barracuda Sata 3.5 hard drive 500gb
Thermaltake tower M9 VI1000bws
Samsung CDRom Writermaster

I can try to give other info as needed.
I've triple checked all connections and I'm 95% certain all connections are made and are correct.
06-24-08, 12:07 PM   #9
silversol
Premium Member
Premium Member
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

You have an ATI card (owned by the AMD company). The link above should supply you with the latest drivers. Try booting into safe mode with networking to access anything.

If there's no text/grapics BEFORE windows loads there's a problem with the signal/connection perhaps if it is a dual DVI card you have the monitor plugged into the wrong port?

Edit: also if your monitor is digital make sure it's on digital mode or auto select

Last edited by silversol : 06-24-08 at 12:09 PM.
06-24-08, 12:33 PM   #10
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

If I understand correctly, you're not getting any video at all even in POST (power-on-self-test) right? If that's indeed the case, your issue is not a driver issue as a driver doesn't even load until your operating system loads... you should still see a memory count onscreen. Something else to look for is to see if your floppy drive is being accessed as well as listen to see if you hear any beeps as the system boots. If you hear beeps, you should note what you hear... ie 1 long 2 short beeps. The beep codes can actually be used for troubleshooting hardware problems should that be where the issue lies.
06-24-08, 01:13 PM   #11
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

erica is correct, drivers have nothing to do with you not being able to see your POST screen. Worst case scenario, Windows would use a Generic VGA driver (which will work for 99.9% of cards... enough to install drivers at least). Check your cables, and if you are getting beep codes, you have a hardware issue, if not it's a dead card or MB.

06-24-08, 04:08 PM   #12
Codermik
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Just bought a new motherboard + cpu and I have no onboard video. Problem is, I can't load drivers without video. Any suggestions please?
Im afraid that drivers wont help in this situation if your not getting a video signal.

It doesnt matter what operating system you have installed during post (power on self test) since at this point of the boot sequence your bios hasnt passed control to your operating system and therefore it sounds like you have faulty hardware.

My suggestion would be to remove the card and any other additional cards positioned on the motherboard and power up again - you should get some indication that its testing the different hardware and give you a sequence of beeps. 1 beep = no problems found and any over that indicates a hardware problem in normal circumstances, in this test you should get more than 1 beep since you dont have a graphics card connected which would be normal while you do some tests.. the purpose of this test is to see if the post sequence is actually being performed and not locking up due to a short on an existing card.

Most common problem of no post is the memory sticks not sitting correctly in their sockets, the other biggest is some motherboards when taken from the box have their bios clear jumper set to "clear" as default - check this as it would cause problems it needs to be set to normal

The thing to remember is your BIOS is responsible for initialising your hardware such as the graphics card, hard disc etc and the POST (Power on self test) is the phase your motherboard does this. Its not software related, your not even passed to your operating system yet. When you hear 1 beep, thats when control is passed over to your Windows.

Last edited by Codermik : 06-24-08 at 04:12 PM.
06-24-08, 04:49 PM   #13
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thanks everyone, I'll go at it some more tomorrow. Would a crossfire possibly have any impact on my no signal issue? I'll try another video port as well, this card has 4. I'd keep going today, but work is piling up .

Thanks again for the great tips, it's been 1 1/2 years since I built the machine I'm on now, and really needed the fresh views I knew I could get here. I love this community .
06-24-08, 09:00 PM   #14
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Talking

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Thanks everyone, I'll go at it some more tomorrow. Would a crossfire possibly have any impact on my no signal issue? I'll try another video port as well, this card has 4. I'd keep going today, but work is piling up .

Thanks again for the great tips, it's been 1 1/2 years since I built the machine I'm on now, and really needed the fresh views I knew I could get here. I love this community .
And that's why EVERYBODY on here rocks. GL, dude. I've come here for help too, and everybody is awsome.
06-24-08, 11:18 PM   #15
VagrantEsha
Token Werewolf Fan

Premium Member
The OP is probably goinig to slap me for this, and I wouldn't blame him, in fact a lot of people might, but...

Have you checked to see whether the card's power lead is properly connected?

I had a post issue once, after installing a new card. I had everything right but apparently I was too afraid to 'push hard enough' on the connector. Some boards you really have to jam the connector into, and when a friend did that I winced... but it worked. So if you have a new card, it might be that the connector isn't properly in.

Failing that, it could be a bad power cable, or your PSU might not be able to handle the new combination of hardware, despite claims otherwise made by the PSU's resller. <.<

Yup, I've encountered all of the above. That's why I switched to laptops. With all the hardware issues I've had, I have too much of a nervous disposition these days to face the horrors of a desktop!
06-25-08, 01:09 AM   #16
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

make sure you let us know what happends, lol i love to see happy endings....
06-25-08, 09:42 AM   #17
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. It turned out to be the plasma tv not picking up fast enough / and turning off. I got tired of the tv slipping back into no signal mode and having to keep the remote in my hand and hooked up to lcd monitor and it worked. Loading Vista now... *shiver*

*ouch* critted by run on sentence from gnomer.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Any advice ?