05-23-10, 09:39 PM   #1
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Pick for 5/23: CurrencyReminder (new)

CurrencyReminder:

Do you forget how many Frost Emblems you have when at the vendors? Hate to keep opening up your currency window to find out? CurrencyReminder adds how much you have of each currency to the top of the vendor window for you to see while you shop. The nifty thing is that it only displays the currency type for the vendor you are at!

Shop with peace of mind, and download the addon here.

For previous Picks of the Week, see here.

Are you the author of a mod that you think belongs in this spotlight? Just upload/update it to WoWInterface, and it will automatically be considered for that week's Pick.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-24-10, 02:36 AM   #2
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Decent pick, sure to save several moments of frustration.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
05-24-10, 05:14 AM   #3
Dajova
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I personally would have voted for TinyDPS, but this one was decent as well, downloaded
05-24-10, 05:21 PM   #4
Wella

TinyDPS is good and all, but I don't think it deserves to be 'Addon of the Week'. The way I see it, the featured addons should be those which bring something not seen before, or at least not done in such a good way - TinyDPS is just a DPS meter that's a lot more lightweight than most (I would say that Skada is just as lightweight but with more functions, but that's an entirely different argument).

Also, I think you guys should start doing two picks each week, or pick slightly more beefy addons. I do watch this space like a hawk, but it's a bit disappointing when I see one tiny little mod or addon which works straight out of the box and doesn't really require my time or attention. Just a thought.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa
05-24-10, 05:48 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Guys, these threads aren't for bashing mods, or saying that "mod [x] is better", etc. Cut it out.

From our original news post about the PotW feature:

We're starting a new feature on the site. Every week our staff will pick one new and/or one updated mod from the previous week on our site and give you a brief subjective overview of the mod. This will give authors a chance to have their mod showcased and users a chance to discover mods that they may not have been aware of previously.
Seerah chose to highlight CurrencyReminder. It's a new mod that people may not be aware of. That's the whole idea of the PotW. Nothing more, nothing less.

Please don't make us have to reconsider this feature.
05-25-10, 01:35 AM   #6
Wella

Hey, I never bashed anything. And that was just a little 'aside' about TinyDPS. And am I not allowed to give a little suggestion?
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa
05-27-10, 06:35 AM   #7
Dajova
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Seerah chose to highlight CurrencyReminder. It's a new mod that people may not be aware of. That's the whole idea of the PotW. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry for being straight-forward about this, but why was Exonumist chosen a few weeks back then? The exact same feature had Altoholic already for a long time, this author just stripped it down to a standalone mod. It's the same thing if u ask me.

Last edited by Dajova : 05-27-10 at 07:43 AM.
05-27-10, 10:57 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
1. I *highly* doubt that Phanx "stripped" the feature out of Altoholic and made it into Exonumist. Fairly sure she wrote it on her own, of her own accord. (Has she ever even used Altoholic?)

2. I have never professed to knowing *every* feature of *every* addon.

3. How does your example refute what the PotW is all about? I'll quote again:
This will give authors a chance to have their mod showcased and users a chance to discover mods that they may not have been aware of previously.
4. Every week's PotW goes like this: I tap into my obsessive-compulsive nature and sort through EVERY upload for the week. (This takes forever after big patches.) Anything that looks interesting, I open in a new tab. Then I go through all of them and read comments, sometimes I look at the code, sometimes I install them to play with, sometimes I'll ask opinions, ... generally I try to decide what looks interesting and USEFUL to a majority of players. (You'll notice that I haven't picked too many class-specific addons.) Sometimes I end up being able to narrow it down to one pick, sometimes I can't and have to write up something about a few of them.

Exonumist, for lack of a better word, "won" that week. Not to say that any other addons were not interesting or useful, or worthy. But I had to pick *something*, and Exonumist got picked.

CurrencyReminder "won" this past week. I did see TinyDPS. I saw it the day it was uploaded. And it got opened into a separate tab as I paged through all of the uploads for consideration. But, I figured that I would not pick it because the idea wasn't exactly anything "novel". I'm not "dissing" TinyDPS - I actually plan on installing it and testing it out (since I'm not too happy with Recount atm) whenever I actually get online to play again. (I spend *most* of my free time combing over this site and other forums, and typing up the PotW instead of actually playing, you know. )

TLDR; I'm the one making the picks, and these are picks that, in MY opinion, fit what the PotW is about. If you wish to make different picks, then you can start your own PotW.

Let these threads be about the mod that was picked, let it have its 15 minutes of fame. Please don't disrespect them by derailing the threads and making it about other addons.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-27-10, 12:25 PM   #9
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by richerich View Post
<snip>It's the same thing if u ask me.
You weren't asked - you rudely interjected.

In addition to what Seerah has already said on the matter: AddOns, like any other idea, don't occur in a vacuum. It is possible for two people on opposite sides of the planet to have the same idea - simultaneously or not.

Cairenn has already said "these threads aren't for bashing mods". Are you trying to sabotage this?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-27-10, 01:41 PM   #10
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
You weren't asked - you rudely interjected.

In addition to what Seerah has already said on the matter: AddOns, like any other idea, don't occur in a vacuum. It is possible for two people on opposite sides of the planet to have the same idea - simultaneously or not.

Cairenn has already said "these threads aren't for bashing mods". Are you trying to sabotage this?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was gonna say exactly what he said!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

WoWInterface » Site Forums » WoWI's Pick(s) of the Week » Pick for 5/23: CurrencyReminder (new)