03-03-11, 10:54 PM   #1
Bennylava
A Defias Bandit
Is there a good texure mod for WoW?

Hi all. I used to play WoW way back in the level 60 cap days. When blizz nullified all my hard work on my multiple level 60's, I quit. But I was thinking of getting back into it, if there was a good texture mod out for the old world. Anyone happen to know if there is one? Thanks, Benny
03-04-11, 12:31 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
"texture mod out for the old world"?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-04-11, 01:09 AM   #3
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

i believe he's referring to a higher resolution/higher quality texture replacement mod.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
03-05-11, 01:20 AM   #4
Bennylava
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
"texture mod out for the old world"?
Yes, a texture mod for the old world.
03-05-11, 03:55 AM   #5
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
Ok, saying "a texture mod for the old world" doesn't really tell us what it is you're looking for.

If you are looking for something to modify the old world graphics (ie ground textures, trees, etc) then no, you won't find anything like that here or anywhere else for that matter. And why would you want to? With the newly updated graphics, the old world looks fantastic.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for textures to modify your ui elements, then look here.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
03-05-11, 04:54 AM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Anything that modifies the actual in-game graphics (essentially anything besides your User Interface) in any way, shape or form is against the World of Warcraft End User License Agreement and Terms of Service.

03-06-11, 10:27 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
We need you to clarify what you are looking for. You can't just restate what you already said.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-11-11, 11:07 AM   #8
Bennylava
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
With the newly updated graphics, the old world looks fantastic.
So they did some updating to the old world's graphics to make it look better? I'm not talking about all the expansions and stuff that I have no desire to play. I am a member of a guild that only plays original world of warcraft, we don't participate in world of expansioncraft by choice. So I was hoping there was a way to upgrade the looks a little. But if blizzard has already done that, I was not aware of that.
03-11-11, 11:44 AM   #9
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Indeed, patch 4.0.1a, titled "the Shattering" if I recall correctly, changed the face of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor quite significantly, applying new texturework among other things. This patch was released for all players, regardless of expansions. I'm surprised you haven't noticed.

03-11-11, 02:49 PM   #10
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think he is refering to HD textures, as far as I know you can update texture images (placing them in same folder system as the game once) and having the game load them (most of them).

If it was against Blizz intentions they would disable this by making the game only load files inside the MPQ and not in other folders.

But no, I have no info on such a "HD graphic pack" sort of thing for WoW.
03-12-11, 02:44 AM   #11
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Start of Terms of Use
The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Service or the Game Client in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

[...]

D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html

In shorter words, unless Blizzard explicitly says "hey, feel free to muck about with our MPQ files to your heart's content", any messing with MPQ files is a violation to the Terms of Use you agree to after each patch.

I really shouldn't have to point this out... don't people read contracts these days?

Originally Posted by End of Terms of Use
I HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE FOREGOING TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT AND AGREE THAT MY USE OF THE GAME IS AN ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF MY AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT.

03-12-11, 12:55 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Right. The only textures you are allowed to replace (which the game will override) are the UI textures.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Is there a good texure mod for WoW?