01-03-11, 05:11 AM   #1
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Druid vs Warrior

Right now I have a Feral Druid (bear) with gear 533+ and a friend has a Paladin in equil gear.

I feel like i suck up more healer mana, than he does? And my self heal feels very weak compared to the paladin.

Did anyone feel the same or does it change once Getting HC/Raid gear.

Because I was thinking about rolling a warrior because there is more utility while tanking.

What do you think should I stick with my druid or rerole Warrior since I'm going to be the MT? Cheers
01-03-11, 05:18 AM   #2
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
Right now I have a Feral Druid (bear) with gear 533+ and a friend has a Paladin in equil gear.

I feel like i suck up more healer mana, than he does? And my self heal feels very weak compared to the paladin.

Because I was thinking about rolling a warrior because there is more utility while tanking.

What do you think should I stick with my druid or rerole Warrior since I'm going to be the MT? Cheers
A link to your armory would be cool.
I am not sure what you mean when you have gear with 533+.
I really don't think at this point it is very clear if either 1 class or another has a easier time tanking. As a healer I find that its more the cc in the group. As well as the healer.
You can have 2 resto druids heal the same tank and each healer will use mana differently. So when comparing that one tank gets hit harder then another you really have to look at a lot of different aspects. But like I said link your armory, If you don't wanna publicly post it send me a pm and ill take a look.
01-03-11, 05:35 AM   #3
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I think you need context when comparing tanks.

You say that you feel like you are sucking up more mana, but under what conditions? I play a Holy Paladin and have healed warrior, druid and paladin tanks (in heroics and raids) and I can't really say that anyone was neither easier nor harder to heal. Of course, gear plays a huge part, but you say you have about comparable gear (in what way is it comparable by the way? average itemlevel?).

As you already pointed out, each tank has different tools so they might need more or less help from the other party members. Things like dispels, interrupts, stuns, crowd control, etc. And maybe you utilize cooldowns differently and that explains some of it.

Even Ghostcrawler said that all the different tanks were being used in all kinds of content.
01-03-11, 07:32 AM   #4
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...channon/simple

sorry i did think it was 533 but its only 331 were only taking about normal & vortex hc.
Healer is allways one off 2 pali or shaman.

I have no problems with keeping agro, cc is fine since we always have a mage and shamen.
I use my hibernate and wenn needed my roots.

The tanki.g is cool, but i was thinking about healer mana
01-03-11, 02:09 PM   #5
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Healing in Cataclysm will eat mana, loaaaats of it, period.

What a tank can do is learn the encounters, learn what mobs do (including trash) and act accordingly. A tank can do a lot to prevent damage either on himself and/or the group.

* some mobs need to be turned away from the group
* some mobs channel some crap onto you or the area around them, that can be avoided by simply moving away from them - a tank doesn't have to stick to the target like glue - move
* interrupt casts if possible
* stun
* slow
* kite

And possibly some more I can't think of atm. It just takes some getting used to. It's quite different from anything I've seen in WotLK and feels a lot more like early BC heroic runs (pre nerf in blue gear).

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

01-04-11, 12:39 AM   #6
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I know i play since vanila. And remember BC hc tanking pre nerf. Did them in greens/blues only barly maling it because i was backed up by t5 guild players. Since my main was a hunter back then.

And tanks where a rare thing to find.

So the tanking movement is not the problem. I just thought a warrior just might suck up less healing than a druif. Because mostly they do not need procs for the damage reduction. Beside from dodge
01-04-11, 01:48 AM   #7
Zagrei
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
It has always been my understanding that Druid tanks thrive on dodge, more so than any other stat. Because of the lower amount of dodge currently on the lower tier gear, druid tanks may be slightly gimped for a little while. However, don't think that Warrior, Paladin, or DK tanks are superior in any way - as a Druid tank, you have specific buffs that are unique to your specialization. You bring an element which no other tank can bring, and it is only a matter of time before the things that you are slightly lacking in catch up, if not surpass, the other tank classes (aside from buffs/nerfs etc).

I play a DK tank, and there have been some major, MAJOR changes to DK tanking as a whole. My friend, a Holy Priest, has healed many other DK tanks, and he honestly does not like them at all. However, he loves healing me because of how few heals I actually require. The idea is that not only do the circumstances change depending on the healer, it changes on the tank's skill level, the DPS's skill level, and sometimes a little RNG (especially with dodge).

TL;DR, don't get discouraged! Give it some time, and with some better gear and maybe getting into a 'groove' with your healer friends, you could very possibly surpass your other tank friends Good luck!
06-07-11, 07:23 PM   #8
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Quokka View Post

I don't think you're very weak. In my opinion, you're simply calling attention to class differences. I see it like this...

Druids = tank by absorbing damage
Paladins/DKs = tank by mitigating damage
Warriors = tank by avoiding damage

I have a tank of each type at 85 and multiple warrior/paladin tanks (alliance and horde). I feel most comfortable main tanking as a warrior or perhaps my best geared paladin tank. I feel most comfortable trash tanking with my druid/dk and lesser geared paladin.

That's all purely personal preference though. To each his own, and yes I know there are instances where other people do just fine crossing roles/responsibilities I have described here.

Good luck and God bless you especially if you put up with pugs
06-07-11, 10:01 PM   #9
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ok... I see rather rough generalizations here:

Druids tank without a shield (no block) and without parry.
Their main survival traits are dodge (= avoidance), Extra Armor (=mitigation), Savage Defense (=absorption)

Death Knights tank without a shield as well (no block) but can both dodge and parry.
Their main survival traits are high stamina (= soaking), high avoidance, Blood Shield (=absorption), self-healing and a host of defensive cooldowns that require pre-planning for proper use.

Paladins have block and a mastery that works with it (mitigation), dodge and parry (avoidance) and life-saving cooldowns on "auto".

Warriors also have block and a mastery that works with it albeit differently than paladins (mitigation), dodge and parry (avoidance) and alot of utility that require reaction for proper use.

Going by each tank's distinctive survival features this is closer to the truth:
Druid = avoidance/absorption
DK = avoidance/self-heal
Paladin/Warrior = mitigation

ALL 4 tank classes at comparable gear and player knowledge are relatively balanced,
and that comes from both tanking along-side all classes in a guild that rotates tanks on all jobs,
raid leading and "using" tanks for different jobs (and poring over combatlogs that show their dtps),
and also healing tanks.

Each have their stronger sides and differences but there's no job that 1 tank class can do and another can't.

Bottom-line, do your homework on how to gear/gem/enchant your favorite class properly and stay with that, you will have no problem filling your role.

Last edited by Dridzt : 06-07-11 at 10:24 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Druid vs Warrior