02-07-12, 10:14 AM   #1
kindbuddy
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite using more memory

Carbonite usually uses 8mb, but yesterday I noticed that it consistently uses 13-14mb and it never goes below that now. I have not changed any options or anything. Any thoughts why that might be?

02-07-12, 01:42 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've been using Carbonite for a little over three years. I never knew how much memory any of my addons used until I started using something to track it. Carbonite and Auctioneer have always been at the top of that list, and Carbonite always used between 10 and 14 megs of memory. For me.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

02-08-12, 03:25 PM   #3
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by kindbuddy View Post
Carbonite usually uses 8mb, but yesterday I noticed that it consistently uses 13-14mb and it never goes below that now. I have not changed any options or anything. Any thoughts why that might be?
64 bit Wow by chance? Memory is handled MUCH differently.

Not a worry really, when it gets to 1Gb then maybe a concern.

02-09-12, 12:14 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by kindbuddy View Post

Nothing really to worry about. How much memory an addon uses will not impact game performance. It could use 50mb and it still would not impact the games performance.

The only time to worry is if an addon has a memory leak or if it's just poorly coded. Carbonite is fine.

03-09-12, 03:47 PM   #5
Duxy
A Kobold Labourer
If it doesn't impact game performance, then why when I (have to) turn it off during my 25man raids does my performance improve?

Carbonite is one of the few addons I run, and if I don't turn it off before raid I run so slow it's not worth trying. (Granted this is only in 25mans, I never have a problem with it otherwise).

Once I turn it off, the lag is reduced dramatically.

03-09-12, 04:21 PM   #6
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

It's not the memory use that's causing you to lag, it's the buggy and/or inefficient coding of the addon. Carbonite needs a lot of work, but the authors are no longer pursuing it (with the exception of fixing showstopping errors).

03-10-12, 06:59 AM   #7
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
It's not the memory use that's causing you to lag, it's the buggy and/or inefficient coding of the addon. Carbonite needs a lot of work, but the authors are no longer pursuing it (with the exception of fixing showstopping errors).
kind of sad... wish someone would do a fan update .. or the carb dev past it to someone that can take it over.. wish they stop with bandage and do a over haul on it.. all of the code is not with blizz tos anyways ( not easy to read code as stated by blizz)

but time changes.. with the real world the way it is...

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite using more memory