01-16-05, 06:39 AM   #1
Goatus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Memory cannot be "read" bug

Well i run out of ideas on that one... it happens to me rarely and randomly. I tried to reproduce it and nail it by turning off and on diffrent Addons but no luck

Worst thing is that i don't know if it is my addons fault or other authors addons and since bug sometimes appear and sometimes not i dont have any way to check this,

So im asking wow ui scripting gurus, maybe you know when this bug occur? I'm almost sure that it has something to do with two addons trying to read same memory adres in same time but no idea how that is possible.

Well maybe it is coz i use in all my addons saved variables per player char ie. table with fields named same as char. Can this be the reason? Code looks like that (example)

function SomethingOnEvent()

if ( event == "UNIT_NAME_UPDATE" ) then
if ( arg1 == "player" and UnitName("player") ~= "Unknown Entity" ) then
this:UnregisterEvent("UNIT_NAME_UPDATE");
initFunction();
end
end

end

function inintFunction

local name = UnitName("player");

if (saved_var ~= nil) then
if (saved_var[name] == nil) then
saved_var[name] = {};
saved_var[name].someOption = 1;
end
else
saved_var = {};
saved_var[name] = {};
saved_var[name].someOption = 1;
end
end

for me it looks perfectly ok... but maybe im doing some false logic thinking ;p

Well there is also other possibility... it _may_ be WoW bug but it is very unlikly...

Thanks

Edit: eek! it ate my tabs.... ah well nvm..
BTW sorry for my english
01-16-05, 01:59 PM   #2
mondinga
A Theradrim Guardian
I've seen this bug somewhat constistantly while working on the new version of GypsyMod. At one point it would happen on ANY login or reload, shortly after loading. I fixed a bug though, and it stopped doing it every time, but it still does happen on occasion. It seems to me it must be something with Blizzard's code, being exacerbated by handling multiple reloads and various mod code.
01-16-05, 02:41 PM   #3
Goatus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yah exactly how it was in my case. It just started crashing WoW out of nowhere and stoped after few times.. And still i cannot reproduce it now even once.

I did small addon nothing as complicated as GypsyMod, but since it was my first addon that went hmm "live" i can't stop worring that it will happen to every person that download it... uh scary ;p

Thank you seeing that im not only one with such problem is comforting

Well im going to triple check my code anyways... again ;]
01-16-05, 04:21 PM   #4
Svarten
A Fallenroot Satyr
if you manage to make LUA code that craches the client, you need to report it to blizzard, that should not be able to happen. They can protect the client from hazardus lua code.

I to have had this happen to me, but since I can't reproduce it either I have just let it pass as an strange flux...

/Svarten
01-17-05, 01:44 PM   #5
Cide
Swedeheart
I know for a fact that if you try to use SetPoint(), with the parent argument being a child of the element you're using it on, WoW will crash. Took a while before I figured that out .

Also, invalid textures(TGA's or BLP's with inproper properties) also cause crashes pretty often.
01-17-05, 02:20 PM   #6
Goatus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well actually overriding orginal Blizzard function for default tooltip anchor (GameTooltip_SetDefaultAnchor) so it set anchor as 'this' will also crash client on mouseover any moving creature ;p

But well Blizzard already did great job protecting client from crashes, like when you do something as stupid as trying to read from variable that doesn't exist or read table field that wasn't created yet.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Memory cannot be "read" bug