Quantcast Encrypted Addons? - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
11-09-10, 03:59 PM   #1
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
Encrypted Addons?

I downloaded an addon from WoWInterface and my computer says the addon is encrypted.

What does this mean? A bunch of folders from the addon are appearing green in my file manager now.
  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:01 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP
 
Dolby's Avatar
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,252
Not sure, would help to know what addon you downloaded. We have over nine thousand files available for download so it would be difficult to guess
  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:09 PM   #3
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Not sure, would help to know what addon you downloaded. We have over nine thousand files available for download so it would be difficult to guess
I downloaded Aurora available here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...89-Aurora.html

  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:13 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP
 
Dolby's Avatar
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,252
Wow, I'm not sure why that would be. I downloaded and extracted it on my win7 machine and there was no encryption.

I would remove it, re-download and re-extract the zip.

What zip program are you using? The windows default? winrar? winzip? etc...
  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:15 PM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,906
Windows XP and above support the ability to encrypt files on your harddrive. Windows shows these files in green. I'm guessing that WoW isn't able to read these files and produces this error. To turn off file encryption, right-click on the encrypted folder and go to properties. There should be a button that says "Advanced..." in the Attributes section at the bottom of the window that pops up, click it. One of the options that show up is a check box that says, "Encrypt contents to secure data", make sure that's unchecked and click "OK". Click "OK" to save changes in the main window and if the "Confirm Attribute Changes" window pops up to confirm, make sure "Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files" is selected before hitting "OK" again. Repeat this process for the remaining folders.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 11-09-10 at 04:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:15 PM   #6
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Wow, I'm not sure why that would be. I downloaded and extracted it on my win7 machine and there was no encryption.

I would remove it, re-download and re-extract the zip.

What zip program are you using? The windows default? winrar? winzip? etc...
I am doing the windows default to extract.
  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:17 PM   #7
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Windows XP and above support the ability to encrypt files on your harddrive. Windows shows these files in green. I'm guessing that WoW isn't able to read these files and produces this error. To turn off file encryption, right-click on the encrypted folder and go to properties. There should be a button that says "Advanced..." in the Attributes section at the bottom of the window that pops up, click it. One of the options that show up is a check box that says, "Encrypt contents to secure data", make sure that's unchecked and click "OK". Click "OK" to save changed in the main window and if the "Confirm Attribute Changes" window pops up to confirm, make sure "Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files" is selected before hitting "OK" again. Repeat this process for the remaining folders.
Why is it only doing it to this addon? I never had it do that before, ever, on anything.
  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:20 PM   #8
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
I tried to decrypt but I got a key error, that I need to save a key. I couldn't even open a file to edit it in notepad. it kept saying NULL NULL. But it worked in game.

I deleted the files and redownloaded from wowinterface it did the same. So I deleted them again and used 7-zip and it wasn't encrypted this time.

Odd.
  Reply With Quote
11-09-10, 04:42 PM   #9
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,906
I remembered that OS-compressed files turn blue and also there was the option to encrypt files. So I tested encrypting a random folder and it turned green. I'm stumped as to why it would only encrypt that one file. You say that 7-zip extracted it fine, meaning it wasn't encrypted in the zip file. Then again, I shouldn't put it past Windows to do some bizarre things at random.
__________________
ESOUI AddOns | WoWInterface AddOns
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Encrypted Addons?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off