01-12-10, 05:38 AM   #1
Narinka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Questions and ideas.

Hi, there are several questions and thoughts I have, maybe somebody can help me with them.
Trying to sort them from easy and not so important to some.. blurring even in my mind.

1. I have some problems with "Ready check" icons om my unitframes (raid frames).
As I understand it, if I use multiplexer feature to refresh unitframes then when raid stays still out of combat or something like that a lot of unit frames do not get any events and they do not refresh. So my ready check icon will appear only if specific unitframe gets some event during check time. In result ready check looks like a mess.
Can I fix it by myself? Maybe I need to add some event handler? Periodic repaint looks like bad solution.
ps: the same happens with range check, but it's not so important out of combat.

2. On the run tried to make some cooldown icons (or bars) for my "Power word: Shield" or "Prayer of Mending", but was unable to do what I want. I need not life time of my shield or mending, but cd when I can use them again. I think I can do it using scripts, but maybe there is easier way I missed?

3. I have very annoying "feature" with my grid, it sometimes shows me tooltips when I hover cursor over the edge of unit frames :\ Checked every frame in layers and hotspots and still.. When it happens in combat and covers part of my grid as a healer I'm ready to cry.

4. Maybe it should be in feature request, but I'm not sure in my idea.
Basically it's all about desktops, I will try to explain.
Well, I have something like.. let it be 4 active alts. For each one I have 2-3 specs (pve, pve2, pvp). For some I don't use a lot of desktops, for some I use a lot (40ppl raid, 10-15ppl raid, 5man, arena2, arena3-5, pve25, pve10, pve5 etc).
So.. I need to keep track of like 4*5 desktops in general.
For example I decided to change how to place my player frame, where better to move my focus frame, target of my focus, some alerts etc, I need to rework my 20 desktops or even more.

Now the idea.
Can we have something like templates? So you can create some basic desktop (template) with your player frame, action frames and so on, common for all your desktops. Then you can create as many "child" desktops as you wish, but when this child desktop activates it will draw it's parent (template) desktop first.
Not sure if it can be done in current incarnation of RDX, but if this idea is fine I can explain it in details.
01-12-10, 09:51 AM   #2
unlimit
Lookin' Good

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, from what I've seen, most people do around the same thing you do. We all have how we want our desktops to look, our player frames in exactly the right position, etc. Except, when we have to move something, we have to go into each and every desktop editor, and move it to exactly the same spot, over and over again.

It gets repetitive and annoying.

To combat this, I use FeatureSets and file proxy's in all of my desktops.

After I create something new, and want a desktop window for it, I just turn it into a feature set, and every window that I want it in, I just add it.

They will always be at the same location, and when you move in one desktop, it will've moved in the other, too.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
01-12-10, 03:04 PM   #3
jfn302
An Aku'mai Servant
Tooltips

for your unitframes inside your grid, you can disable to tooltip. There is also a checkbox in the window setup for tooltip you can disable that way there won't be a tooltip at all when you mouseover something in the grid.

The other thing is, are you using a tooltip addon like Tiddytip? If so, check your configuration on that addon to make sure that the tooltips show up where you want them instead of over your grid of unitframes.
01-13-10, 01:13 PM   #4
Narinka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by unlimit View Post
To combat this, I use FeatureSets and file proxy's in all of my desktops.

After I create something new, and want a desktop window for it, I just turn it into a feature set, and every window that I want it in, I just add it.

They will always be at the same location, and when you move in one desktop, it will've moved in the other, too.
To my shame never used it and I'm almost always short on time in game.. can you point me to some examples please? Maybe in another UIs. But I got the idea, thanks.

Tried before to make some sort of HUDs (window that keeps all my alerts or common frames for all chars, one for player, one for focus etc, but it makes things even worse). Your solution sounds fine.
01-15-10, 09:53 PM   #5
unlimit
Lookin' Good

Originally Posted by Narinka View Post
To my shame never used it and I'm almost always short on time in game.. can you point me to some examples please? Maybe in another UIs. But I got the idea, thanks.

Tried before to make some sort of HUDs (window that keeps all my alerts or common frames for all chars, one for player, one for focus etc, but it makes things even worse). Your solution sounds fine.
I didn't know what it was either until just a while ago, but it's great.

Think of it like Copy+Paste, only when you paste it into a featureset, you can copy it or link to it as many times as you'd like.

To make a featureset is like making a window, so that part's pretty simple.

Basically, when in any type of feature editor (Desktop editor, ArtFrame Editor, UnitFrame Editor, Bossmod Editor), you can export things from your frame into a featureset. So, for instance, say I want to export a subframe, I just click on the subframe I want to export and send it to my featureset. Or, if I want to export a window in the desktop editor, for example of something I already do.

Either way, if you import a window, it will import everything in that featureset.

However, if you proxy a window, it will basically link to all of that information. So, everytime you edit the featureset, it will change on everything you've set a proxy with it to, also.

It's really useful, and it's definitly a lifesaver. Once I realized that I could use it for almost anything, I made everything in my Desktop a featureset, so it would always be uniform in location, no matter what desktop I was using.

01-16-10, 02:30 AM   #6
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
proxy on windows feature is a great idea.

I never thought about that...

01-16-10, 10:59 AM   #7
unlimit
Lookin' Good

Originally Posted by sigg View Post
proxy on windows feature is a great idea.

I never thought about that...

Thank's Sigg. :3

WTB Bossmod Arrow PST.

01-25-10, 05:18 AM   #8
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
I created a feature Data object, then I went into the 'Edit Desktop' option in the second menu of the RDX top bar. I clicked the window I wanted exported, and sent it to that Feature Data object. Then I went to a different window, and created a Proxy: File feature, and pointed it at the Feature Data object I created. It brings up the window I want, and so I move it from the middle of the screen to where I want it. But when I switch away from and go back to that desktop, it's always in the middle of the screen. How do I get it set up to remember where it's supposed to be?
01-25-10, 09:17 AM   #9
unlimit
Lookin' Good

Originally Posted by horse21 View Post
I created a feature Data object, then I went into the 'Edit Desktop' option in the second menu of the RDX top bar. I clicked the window I wanted exported, and sent it to that Feature Data object. Then I went to a different window, and created a Proxy: File feature, and pointed it at the Feature Data object I created. It brings up the window I want, and so I move it from the middle of the screen to where I want it. But when I switch away from and go back to that desktop, it's always in the middle of the screen. How do I get it set up to remember where it's supposed to be?
that's odd to me, it should not do that. Mine works perfectly.

Maybe a bug?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » Questions and ideas.