12-24-09, 04:45 AM   #1
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Extreme memmory usage in combat ?

Anyone else noticed this lately ?
On a fresh login, RDX takes about 6.5m, VFL about 2.3m in my current setup. In combat RDX spikes up to sometimes >35m in extreme cases (mostly on large trash-pulls with lots of aoe-action in 25 player raids, but also on bossfights). After combat has ended it takes some time (somewhere in the 10-30 second range), and almost all of that memory gets cleaned out and im down to ~8-10m again.
VFL allways stays around 2-3m.
Just wondering if this is a general problem or if i messed something up in my unitframes or whatever ?
12-25-09, 02:38 AM   #2
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Hi Brainn,

may be one of the new feature is responsible of this.

Now the problem is to identify this feature. Could you try to close some windows and try to found which one could be responsible. Then After that, ive me the list of feature of this window.

Sigg
12-25-09, 08:05 PM   #3
unlimit
Lookin' Good

I have been experiencing a lot of lag in Dalaran and in certain raids after updating RDX a bit ago, I'm not sure what specific build though.

I thought maybe it was a problem with my graphics card, but every other game runs like normal.

Also I spike down to 2-5FPS in Dalaran, when I usually idle at 30-40.

Maybe these two are tied?

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
12-27-09, 09:30 AM   #4
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
i played around a bit and i got this only on my priest and warlock, they both use the exact same setup, but not on my paladin that uses a slightly different setup.
so from this i can tell it must have something to do with one the following things:
1) my old raidframe sitting minimized in the new main-panel
2) my new raidframe
3) chatframes
i will do some more testing in the next raids.

//
ok just did a quick test on ony25, its not the old raidframe that was sitting in the main-panel. closed it and still had the mem-spikes.
one thing i noticed tho: mem-usage grow up to about 28meg, then somewhere in the middle of the fight droped down to 13meg and then went up to ~30meg again.

Last edited by Brainn : 12-27-09 at 10:32 AM.
12-27-09, 05:11 PM   #5
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
was playing around a bit in ogrimmar and noticed another thing: vfl seems to do some crazy things when my mouseover-target changes... standing in front of the auctionhouse with several people around me, i can get the mem/sec of vfl spike up to >500k with moving around the mouse really fast over all those people standing around. this does work for players and npcs, but not for 'objects' like fires or chairs, so i would say its 'units'. but: vfl is much faster at cleaning up that junk than rdx on the things i mentioned above

ps: i don't really care that much since i dont have any performance-issues (fps-wise), but im running on a high-end system so there might be problems for people on lower-end machines.

Last edited by Brainn : 12-27-09 at 05:13 PM.
01-02-10, 04:04 PM   #6
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
i tracked down the vfl-stuff to using mouseover-macros on the action bars.
3 chars, all using the exact same rdx-setup, one of them has 10 mouseover-macros in his actionbars, the other 2 dont use any macros at all. only on the character that uses the macros i can produce the vfl mem/sec spikes trough changing my mousover-target, on the other 2 chars i could only bring it up to a maximum of ~ 0.5k/s
01-02-10, 04:09 PM   #7
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Interesting.

Let me check this info

Thanks a lot.
01-09-10, 02:10 PM   #8
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
ok, looks like i have tracked the extreme mem usage of rdx down to my raid buff frame, and more exactly to buff-sorting.
the frame contains only a base-frame, backdrop, and one aura-icon feature with nomintavie filtering set to stam/spirit/shadow single- and group-buffs.
the aura icons had sorting by name enabled, after disabling the sort-option im down to ~3-8k/s. so for me it looks like the sorting is executed every time any changes to a aura on anyone happens and through this eats up memory like ****
01-11-10, 10:04 AM   #9
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Yes, you are right.

The aura sorting is using too much memory.

Sorting need to create a temporary table each time a change occur.

I need to developpe a better solution....
01-12-10, 07:09 AM   #10
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
I may have one solution, not the best.

The sort operation is currently apply before the filter operation.
This is the reason why I need to create a new table and apply the sort on it.
Creating this temporary table is generating amount of memory.
The filter operation update the table of the feature (Aura Icons) base on this temporary table.

Without the sort operation,
the filter is directly apply on the table of the feature (Aura Icons), using the core engine aura.

I can switch the sort operator after the filtering. That mean, if you created a filter of 10 auras, the sort will only be apply on these 10 auras.

So the memory will not increase anymore.

Are you OK with that ?

Sigg
01-12-10, 02:31 PM   #11
jfn302
An Aku'mai Servant
That looks like..

a much better solution than the current method, Sigg. Currently you are wasting cycles sorting things that are going to be discarded anyways. So, discarding first will reduce the clock cycles used and memory allocation allotted for the tables you create in the process.
01-12-10, 09:09 PM   #12
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
this is somewhat out of my programming skills, but i understand what you mean. for now i have completely disabled the sorting function, for those 3 buffs its more of a cosmetic thing. the solution you mentioned is for sure a big improvement over the current solution, but you should maybe warn users about this. i could imagine if you create a new ui with multiple auraicon features with sorting enabled, this could cause several problems. on my part, just one sorted aura icons caused ~200-300k/s mem allocation, i dont know how this is handled if the sorting is applied to multiple icons but if it adds this much for every sorting that is done ... i noticed some lags/stuttering every now and then that did not happen after i disabled sorting, i reenabled the sort and it seems to happen when the excessive memory gets cleaned up, so if you increase the mem-usage even more it would cause excessive performance-problems.
01-14-10, 02:04 PM   #13
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
I have disabled the sort of all auras, until I found a better way.

Sigg
01-18-10, 02:33 AM   #14
jfn302
An Aku'mai Servant
Wow!!

I downloaded the new SVN and memory usage is almost nil now without the sort. I haven't seen what it will do in combat or raiding situations, but just logging in before I was hovering around 42MB of memory usage, and now with only changing to the new SVN I am hovering around 7MB.

I still have the slight stutter that I mentioned in the other thread when the memory and frame rate are updated by the profiler though. I like to see the stats, but I'm probably going to have to disable it while I'm actually playing.
01-18-10, 03:19 AM   #15
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Just to let you know that 7MB is only the memory of RDX + VFL.

When switching in raid mode, this memory should grow to 10 / 18 MB depending of the complexity of your raid windows design. After that, the memory should be stabilized and not growing anymore as the debit creation object is near 0.01 MB during all the raid time.

Sigg

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » Extreme memmory usage in combat ?